The "Mid Life" buy thread

Branman, did you have to shave any of the fuel filler surround to get it to snap back in? I'm having trouble getting mine back in and didn't know if there was a "trick" to fitting it. Thanks!

You actually trim the tabs that hold it in - I will look for a picture - Jenn or Jason trimmed mine while I wasn't looking so I can't tell you how - hopefully they will chime in. When I get caught up I can go pull mine and snap a pic.

bkac

Caught the Bug
You actually trim the tabs that hold it in - I will look for a picture - Jenn or Jason trimmed mine while I wasn't looking so I can't tell you how - hopefully they will chime in. When I get caught up I can go pull mine and snap a pic.

It won't be easy to pull. You trim the 3 tabs that hold it in 1/4" back with a cutoff wheel, it then works just like it did with the factory sides. Hope that makes since.

Nothing really new - just the normal carnage repair after the Rubicon.

The drive home was interesting - Started out with the usual crooked steering and ESC issues leaving the trail, this is where I went wrong and let this little thing guide me in my trouble shooting. Basically straighten the wheel 3 or 4 times but ESC is still giving me trouble coming down the hill back to Pollack Pines, When I pull off the highway i hear this horrible grinding sound like brakes with no pad left, We limp into the Safeway parking lot and I take a look and nothing seems obvious so I run over to O'riley's and get some cheap brake pads before they close just in case my ESC issues fried my pads coming down the hill. It appears I have scored my rotor based on a quick visual. We limp over to the Hotel and I pull around back and remove the tire and I have a nice score mark on the inside of my wheel and it looks like the balance weight from the wheel has been knock off. I then notice it is lead that is on the edge of the rotor. So I think must have sucked a rock, knocked the lead off and the lead sucked through the brakes - do a quick look around and every thing appears in order. Throw the tire back on and take a little drive with no more shuttering and just a little brake squeak - so I figure good to go. Time for a shower and some wine!

The next morning we head out early and coming down the hill into Placerville the drivers front starts shuttering and making horrible noises so we limp off the road and I climb under again and low and behold one of the Caliber bolts is gone! :eek: and the other has worked its way almost all the way out :doh: So I torque down the remaining bolt as tight as I could and limp into the dealership in Placerville - kinda lucky it was only a mile away. The service manager was there @ 7:30 and was really cool and found the keys to the parts department opened it up and got me the bolt I needed. put the new bolt in and everything is great so back on the road!

Still have ESC issues and stopping 3 or 4 more time messing with the steering. I can't get it fixed so I make the wheel crooked enough to put the ESC in fail mode and we drive the rest of the way home without incident.

The problem was I got so wrapped up in the cause and effect of each issue - I didn't trouble shoot the obvious. I assumed each was related to each other - the bolt fell out sucked through the wheel and damaged the wheel sensor. Once home I started taking each issue by itself and realized that my steering had more play in it then usual - Go out throw a wrench on my drag link on the knuckle side and yup it is loose :doh: Torqued it to specs and all is good in the world - wheel is straight, drives straight , Stops! and ESC working normally!.

I learned a lot from this little exercise which makes it all good :beer:

Carnage List - All Minor
I finally bent my factory Tierod 1/2 mile from the parking lot exiting the Rubicon Trail which made me laugh as it is basically a dirt road and I was going around someone changing a tire I just smacked a rock dead on :doh: Tie rod has served me well for almost 2 years and the replacement will be here later today!

Bent my Passenger rear LCA but not bad.

Had to remove my EVO Cross member skid as it caved inward and was causing a vibration on the exhaust - don't really know what my remedy will be for this.

Got most of the greasy goo off the grill hood and windshield not sure what it was or where I picked it up but it was a bitch to get off.

:cheers: :beer:

The drive home was interesting - Started out with the usual crooked steering and ESC issues leaving the trail, this is where I went wrong and let this little thing guide me in my trouble shooting. Basically straighten the wheel 3 or 4 times but ESC is still giving me trouble coming down the hill back to Pollack Pines, When I pull off the highway i hear this horrible grinding sound like brakes with no pad left, We limp into the Safeway parking lot and I take a look and nothing seems obvious so I run over to O'riley's and get some cheap brake pads before they close just in case my ESC issues fried my pads coming down the hill. It appears I have scored my rotor based on a quick visual. We limp over to the Hotel and I pull around back and remove the tire and I have a nice score mark on the inside of my wheel and it looks like the balance weight from the wheel has been knock off. I then notice it is lead that is on the edge of the rotor. So I think must have sucked a rock, knocked the lead off and the lead sucked through the brakes - do a quick look around and every thing appears in order. Throw the tire back on and take a little drive with no more shuttering and just a little brake squeak - so I figure good to go. Time for a shower and some wine!

The next morning we head out early and coming down the hill into Placerville the drivers front starts shuttering and making horrible noises so we limp off the road and I climb under again and low and behold one of the Caliber bolts is gone! :eek: and the other has worked its way almost all the way out :doh: So I torque down the remaining bolt as tight as I could and limp into the dealership in Placerville - kinda lucky it was only a mile away. The service manager was there @ 7:30 and was really cool and found the keys to the parts department opened it up and got me the bolt I needed. put the new bolt in and everything is great so back on the road!

Still have ESC issues and stopping 3 or 4 more time messing with the steering. I can't get it fixed so I make the wheel crooked enough to put the ESC in fail mode and we drive the rest of the way home without incident.

The problem was I got so wrapped up in the cause and effect of each issue - I didn't trouble shoot the obvious. I assumed each was related to each other - the bolt fell out sucked through the wheel and damaged the wheel sensor. Once home I started taking each issue by itself and realized that my steering had more play in it then usual - Go out throw a wrench on my drag link on the knuckle side and yup it is loose :doh: Torqued it to specs and all is good in the world - wheel is straight, drives straight , Stops! and ESC working normally!.

Carnage List - All Minor
I finally bent my factory Tierod 1/2 mile from the parking lot exiting the Rubicon Trail which made me laugh as it is basically a dirt road and I was going around someone changing a tire I just smacked a rock dead on :doh: Tie rod has served me well for almost 2 years and the replacement will be here later today!

Had to remove my EVO Cross member skid as it caved inward and was causing a vibration on the exhaust - don't really know what my remedy will be for this.

Got most of the greasy goo off the grill hood and windshield not sure what it was or where I picked it up but it was a bitch to get off.

Jill had a bunch of play in her steering also, and esc wouldn't stay off right when we left the trail. I found that her drag link nut was also loose. Once I tightend it up it was all good.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

Carnage List - All Minor

Geeze! Sounds like you had an adventure going home!

Glad you were able to get everything straightened out! :)

Decided to solve a problem I was having when using a Trasharoo and my ORO 3rd brake light. When mounted in it's standard location when the Trasharoo starts to get full and heavy it would bend the third brake light down, not a big deal as you just bend it back up but not sure how long that can last.

So when changing out my plate I used a Command sawtooth picture hanger strips to secure the ORO plate - this way I can reverse it when the Trasharoo is on :thumb: I'm sure Velco would work but the sawtooth strip have little teeth and it locks in place.

If you only want to use the large strips you will need 2 packs.

IMG_1971.jpg

1 on the back of the plate.

IMG_1959.jpg

1 on the back of the ORO Bracket.

IMG_1961.jpg

1 on the front of the ORO Bracket.

IMG_1963.jpg

Stick in place - Normal Mall Crawling position.

IMG_1966.jpg

Reverse for Trasharoo position!

IMG_1967.jpg

Ready to Roll!

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

:beer:

big dr

Nothing better than cheap, valuable lessons!:thumb: I hate expensive lessons(no matter how valuable):icon_crazy:

Love the new plate!:beer:

Replaced my bent tie rod today with a new Synergy tie rod and used the misalign bushings instead of the normal boots - seems rock solid and happy with the outcome :thumb:

Note to the DIY'r - if you plan on keeping your stock stabilizer, it will not fit on the Synergy Clamp - the clamp bolt is 1/2 inch and the stock stabilizer is a hair smaller. You can drill it out but be warned the sleeve is harden steel so you won't just run a drill through it like butter. I chose to use the OEM clamp. Also the Castle nuts are 1 1/16th be sure you have this size handy.

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

Front end is back to rock solid and drives great! Now on to a battery issue :doh: it never ends :cheesy:

robertoloco

Replaced my bent tie rod today with a new Synergy tie rod and used the misalign bushings instead of the normal boots - seems rock solid and happy with the outcome :thumb:

Note to the DIY'r - if you plan on keeping your stock stabilizer, it will not fit on the Synergy Clamp - the clamp bolt is 1/2 inch and the stock stabilizer is a hair smaller. You can drill it out but be warned the sleeve is harden steel so you won't just run a drill through it like butter. I chose to use the OEM clamp. Also the Castle nuts are 1 1/16th be sure you have this size handy.

View attachment 169562

View attachment 169563

View attachment 169561

Front end is back to rock solid and drives great! Now on to a battery issue :doh: it never ends :cheesy:

Hello Branman.I am also using Synergy tie rod and have problems with the TRE boots coming undone or tearing.Last time I ordered some the salesman sold me some hard plastic bushings as well ($5 a piece I think).Thay look like what you have installed.Is this what you have installed.If not can you tell me about the misalign boots and where you got them Thanks.

Hello Branman.I am also using Synergy tie rod and have problems with the TRE boots coming undone or tearing.Last time I ordered some the salesman sold me some hard plastic bushings as well ($5 a piece I think).Thay look like what you have installed.Is this what you have installed.If not can you tell me about the misalign boots and where you got them Thanks.

Yes they are the same thing, they are recommended when running hydro assist and help keep the TR aligned with the ram, I decided to just put them on now and not deal with the whole boot thing.

bonedaddy

All I can say about this thread and your rig is Bravo! Looks awesome man!

The free trade on the half doors kills me... I wish I had that kinda luck!

Top Bottom