The long and slow build of "................"

Pulled the axle shaft out and the inner part of the seal looked great. What do you all think about the outer part of the seal as well as the flange. Does it look bent or is it just my eyes.View attachment 264603View attachment 264604View attachment 264605View attachment 264606View attachment 264608

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Might I add that I am an idiot and jumped the gun and forgot to put it back together the right way. None the less what do you all think about the out part of the seal?

That metal part being a little bent shouldn't affect it. It just holds the seal in place from popping out. Did you find the start of the fluid trail?

That metal part being a little bent shouldn't affect it. It just holds the seal in place from popping out. Did you find the start of the fluid trail?
I did find it. A lot silicone between the seal and the flange. Not sure if that was the exact cause but I cleaned it up real well and the seal it self actually looked new. Sat perfectly around the shaft with no gaps. So I'm not 100 percent sure but I feel as if whoever put silicone before and after pulling the shafts it didn't seat well when reinstalled. The regear place did not put silicone nor did the clean what was on there off. It was gray. They used black in the diffs. Long story short I hope I found the issue. I am going for a drive now

So you're thinking this issue was there from a prior repair, and maybe the regear shop just disturbed the silicon causing the leak?

So you're thinking this issue was there from a prior repair, and maybe the regear shop just disturbed the silicon causing the leak?
That's exactly what I am thinking. Of its still leaking by Saturday I'm going to just have to take it to the dealer and have them do it. Not sure I trust any shops around here. I'd do it myself if I had a press.

If it was not leaking before your regear and is now leaking after your regear, it seems like a fair conclusion that the guys who did the regear caused the leak. Maybe pinched or scored the seal. You can bring it back to them and try to get them to fix it for free, you can replace the seal yourself, or have someone else (e.g. Dealer) do it. Option 3 will be most expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's exactly what I am thinking. Of its still leaking by Saturday I'm going to just have to take it to the dealer and have them do it. Not sure I trust any shops around here. I'd do it myself if I had a press.

Dealer will rape you. Don't do that. Get a new seal, bearing and race and remove the shaft. Cut the old bearing off. Take all of that to a machine shop, I'll bet the most they would charge you would be 50 bucks labor. Other option, buy a whole new pre-assembled shaft with bearing/seal installed. There are some cheap options out there.

OP- BTW, I have a press. I'll be around on Saturday, helping a friend with a regear. PM me if you want to come by and use it. I'm probably a couple hours from you.

If it was not leaking before your regear and is now leaking after your regear, it seems like a fair conclusion that the guys who did the regear caused the leak. Maybe pinched or scored the seal. You can bring it back to them and try to get them to fix it for free, you can replace the seal yourself, or have someone else (e.g. Dealer) do it. Option 3 will be most expensive.

I'm not saying the shop that did the regear did or didn't cause the leak. I personally don't think they did. I drove 3 hours home and it did not leak. It didn't start leaking until that night when I was running some errands. The way the seal sits between the bearing and flange it seems pretty unlikely that they pinched or displaced the seal in such a way to cause a leak. But hey anything is possible. I guess I don't want to believe it haha. Not sure I want to take the drive back and take more time off of work at this time. Maybe just take it to the local dealer and still be able to get to work and make money. I'm hoping by some miracle that is stops leaking by Saturday. I really appreciate the help and you taking the time to read I'm and give suggestions.

20170621_195810.jpg
That the outer part of the seal. And the inner part looks the same as far as seating. What do you think about it?

Dealer will rape you. Don't do that. Get a new seal, bearing and race and remove the shaft. Cut the old bearing off. Take all of that to a machine shop, I'll bet the most they would charge you would be 50 bucks labor. Other option, buy a whole new pre-assembled shaft with bearing/seal installed. There are some cheap options out there.
Ok thank you. I'll look into machine shops around me. Fiend said he would help this weekend if need be. Worse case is I but new rear shafts assembled with everything. By chance would you have any suggestions as to what's a good assembly?

OP- BTW, I have a press. I'll be around on Saturday, helping a friend with a regear. PM me if you want to come by and use it. I'm probably a couple hours from you.

Awesome thank you. I have inventory at work on Saturday I'm hoping we can finish up about noon. Is so I may take you up on that. I'll look into parts now. Thank you that's very nice to offer your time and tools.

After pulling the shaft last night and cleaning it all up I put it back together and test drove it for about 20 min last night. When I got home it appeared to be leaking again do I sprayed it down with break cleaner and let it sit. Came out this morning and didn't see any signs of leaking. I drove it to work 30 miles and checked it again. Looks like I have minor seepage. I might run with it like this for now and see what happens. 20170622_064507.jpg20170622_064446.jpg

After pulling the shaft last night and cleaning it all up I put it back together and test drove it for about 20 min last night. When I got home it appeared to be leaking again do I sprayed it down with break cleaner and let it sit. Came out this morning and didn't see any signs of leaking. I drove it to work 30 miles and checked it again. Looks like I have minor seepage. I might run with it like this for now and see what happens.

That's what I would do too. Glad it's not too much of an issue.

I can't hardly see the seepage. Being that this is after 30 miles, I definitely wouldn't worry about it too much.

Top Bottom