The BEST Internet Expert Advice I've Been Given

duktrx

I'm just sayin, if the shit that gets installed on my Jeep are that delicate, they have no place being on it. And really, are you telling me that dropping a TPMS sensor on a table is anywhere as great as the forces, jarring they will see on the wheel as I bomb across the desert?

Not gonna lie, the TPMS are a pain in the ass anyway and on JET, I just got rid of them. Might do the same on all my newer Jeeps. I really hate that it always goes off when aired down and on the trail.
The reality is you are just bench-testing the durability of the parts. If it breaks before you install it, then you can return it for money back and save time.😃. If only you had learned that lesson before installing a Tera-Flex product.

kevman65

Hooked
Not sure how we got to a point that we need the vehicle to tell us we have a flat.
kind of like watching the weather to see if it’s raining 🙄
It's like backup cameras, seat belts, and the other nanny controls we're stuck with. Insurance pushed for it and then Congress mandated it and now we're stuck with it.

CalSgt

Hooked
Not sure how we got to a point that we need the vehicle to tell us we have a flat.
IDK... I kinda like the TPMS, at least the stuff in my current vehicles. Some of my older cars were a PIA, they were constantly dead, or inaccurate and they never knew where they were at on the car.

TPMS is my chosen VIC screen in the dash & I pay close attention to how ambient temp, elevation, and cold pressure effect the final pressure of warm tires.

Holy shit... That sounded way less nerdy in my head

kevman65

Hooked
IDK... I kinda like the TPMS, at least the stuff in my current vehicles. Some of my older cars were a PIA, they were constantly dead, or inaccurate and they never knew where they were at on the car.

TPMS is my chosen VIC screen in the dash & I pay close attention to how ambient temp, elevation, and cold pressure effect the final pressure of warm tires.

Holy shit... That sounded way less nerdy in my head
🤣 Don't worry, you're not the only one that does all that.

I'm always trying to figure out "if I start with this much PSI at this temp then by the time I get to work I should be at this PSI"

Then I'm about 2 PSI off and when I adjust, it's off the other way 🤪

The main benefit of TPMS is letting you know your pressure is low.
I work in the tire and rubber industry.
You burn significantly more gas when your tires are 10% low.
but you can't tell with your eyes until they are 25% low.
TPMS helps you know BEFORE you can see it - which will improve your gas mileage.
Most jeep owners don't really care about gas mileage ... but every gallon counts.

2 mpg doesn't sound like much
But if you go from 20 to 22 mpg that's 10%. AKA you'll save 10% on your gasoline bill. Similar to buying gas at 3.00 as opposed to $3.30 a gallon.

TPMS helps you know BEFORE you can see it - which will improve your gas mileage.
Most jeep owners don't really care about gas mileage ... but every gallon counts.

But if you go from 20 to 22 mpg that's 10%. AKA you'll save 10% on your gasoline bill. Similar to buying gas at 3.00 as opposed to $3.30 a gallon.
How many more (or less) miles will your expensive tires last if they are "10%" low?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Good thing nobody here knew that.

Good thing nobody here knew that.
Yes. I can confidently say that prior to TPMS we all just aired up our tires when we noticed they were low. The general population didn't realize that you can't see any sidewall flex until you are WAY lower than optimum. Largely because the tire people have done a great job designing sidewalls.
We actually did a walk around the parking lot here, about 100 cars. Did a visual estimation of pressure and then measured it. Nobody got it right, and we are significantly more expert than the general public.

The tire industry has done surveys. Almost nobody realized that by the time your tires are low enough pressure to see you are down about 25%.
Which is why in 2008 the TREAD act made TPMS mandatory in light motor vehicles (under 10,000 lbs).

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yes. I can confidently say that prior to TPMS we all just aired up our tires when we noticed they were low. The general population didn't realize that you can't see any sidewall flex until you are WAY lower than optimum. Largely because the tire people have done a great job designing sidewalls.
We actually did a walk around the parking lot here, about 100 cars. Did a visual estimation of pressure and then measured it. Nobody got it right, and we are significantly more expert than the general public.

The tire industry has done surveys. Almost nobody realized that by the time your tires are low enough pressure to see you are down about 25%.
Which is why in 2008 the TREAD act made TPMS mandatory in light motor vehicles (under 10,000 lbs).
Clearly they don’t teach sarcasm in engineering school.

I literally have run my 40’s at 12 psi for 6 months. I’m sure many others here have done similar. Your stats and pushy engineering talk probably not gonna go far here.

Brute

Hooked
Clearly they don’t teach sarcasm in engineering school.

I literally have run my 40’s at 12 psi for 6 months. I’m sure many others here have done similar. Your stats and pushy engineering talk probably not gonna go far here.
Obviously you don’t realize how much more cilantro you could buy with the gas savings…

It was oregano officer. A zip lock bag of oregano. I'm Italian. Making Pizza. But before you stopped me the bag accidentally flew open and blew all over the road. So it's empty now. Or at least less than 1 oz of prime Californian Oregano.
Obviously you don’t realize how much more cilantro you could buy with the gas savings

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - I really have to wonder if guys like Cliff even watch or listen to what's being said on a video before chiming in with their internet expert insight or, if guys like him are just so eager to show off what they think they know.

Cliff.jpg

I gotta say, I've seen PLENTY of YouTube videos with really bad information and never - I mean, NEVER do I ever feel a desire of any kind to chime in with what I know.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
LOL - I really have to wonder if guys like Cliff even watch or listen to what's being said on a video before chiming in with their internet expert insight or, if guys like him are just so eager to show off what they think they know.

View attachment 388284

I gotta say, I've seen PLENTY of YouTube videos with really bad information and never - I mean, NEVER do I ever feel a desire of any kind to chime in with what I know.
He has a Ukraine flag in his profile picture. That explains it.

Top Bottom