Snake season!

Rebel JK

Heres a pic 1 hour after he got bit. Doesnt look like much but he's up to 28vials of antivenom as of this morning.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 554
unfortunately HIPPA privacy laws, and my license, force us healthcare folk to remain silent about any patient related info....but I can tell you it will look a lot like this after the fasciotomy

Rattlesnake-Bite-0424_2.jpg

THAT IS VERY BELOW AVERAGE!!!!! Note to self, JEANS AND BOOTS!!!

TooTall

My buddy got bit last weekend by a small water moccasin while we were golfing. (His ball somehow managed to get into the brush when aiming for the green) this was his hand when we got to the hospital. It got MUCH bigger. His new nick name is Michelin Man it was so puffy.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370035141.661405.jpg

And as mentioned above he was administered 20-something vials of anti venom. The technician said the vials cost $15,000 EACH. I'm in the wrong business...

Moochie

My daughter's friend joined us out in Johnson Valley a few years ago and was bitten by a Sidewinder. Total cost for her was about $150,000 dollars.

My daughter's friend joined us out in Johnson Valley a few years ago and was bitten by a Sidewinder. Total cost for her was about $150,000 dollars.

WHAT??? Does that even make sense? Is there some sort of shortage in snake/snake venom that causes the anti-venom to be so damn expensive? I am guessing that anti-venom is NOT covered by Obama-Care?!?! :cheesy:

all seriousness though, is she okay now? Those like "sidewinders" can be very deadly!!!

Moochie

WHAT??? Does that even make sense? Is there some sort of shortage in snake/snake venom that causes the anti-venom to be so damn expensive? I am guessing that anti-venom is NOT covered by Obama-Care?!?! :cheesy:

all seriousness though, is she okay now? Those like "sidewinders" can be very deadly!!!

The anti-venom is expensive and so was the $25,000 helicopter ride.. She had no medical insurance so they inflated all the costs knowing that they will be able to negotiate a lower settlement and then show the difference as a loss on their tax forms. She was in the hospital for 5 days. At the young age of 23 and not having much credit to loose, I think she declared bankruptcy to resolve all the bills. She also graduated from college and moved back to China to live with her parents, who work at the US Embassy.

The anti-venom is expensive and so was the $25,000 helicopter ride.. She had no medical insurance so they inflated all the costs knowing that they will be able to negotiate a lower settlement and then show the difference as a loss on their tax forms. She was in the hospital for 5 days. At the young age of 23 and not having much credit to loose, I think she declared bankruptcy to resolve all the bills. She also graduated from college and moved back to China to live with her parents, who work at the US Embassy.

WOW! ! ! That is not a good time. Helicopter rides are not cheap, especially when you have none of the insurance! Just glad she is okay!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Working in the oilfield I see atleast one dead rattle snake a week. It's hot as hell, but we wear snake chaps just in case!

dahreno

Banned
Im always afraid for my little doggy , I think I would rather be bit then him .A better chance I won't die . My sister in laws dog got bit in L.A. . After spending a small fortune and the dog being a.f.ued for about a year , it died anyway .
082.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
A friends coworker's dog just got bitten the other night. Said it costs a fortune for the vet bills but the dog is fine.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Ok...WTF is this?! Snake? Leech? Some Scifi hammerhead snake? Slimy and about 8" long. Never seen anything like it.

ForumRunner_20130601_094606.jpg

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Guys just remember ... when we are out on the trails, etc. we are in their home. To kill snakes for the sake of killing them is not cool. :grayno: If you see them, you can avoid them. With a shovel you can carry them far enough away from your camp; no need to kill them. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Guys just remember ... when we are out on the trails, etc. we are in their home. To kill snakes for the sake of killing them is not cool. :grayno: If you see them, you can avoid them. With a shovel you can carry them far enough away from your camp; no need to kill them. :yup:

Steve Irwin. :cheesy:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Steve Irwin. :cheesy:

Hey, they didn’t ask you to come into their home. That is your decision. They have a hard enough life without being unnecessarily killed. I am no enviro wacko by any means, but have some respect.
Some rattlers like the mexican red will chase you down. Then, yes, he may end up being killed. :doh: But if you see one on the trail and say "Hey, lets kill the snake because he might bite someone someday” ... the snake may not be your biggest problem that day, if you know what I mean. ;)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hey, they didn’t ask you to come into their home. That is your decision. They have a hard enough life without being unnecessarily killed. I am no enviro wacko by any means, but have some respect.
Some rattlers like the mexican red will chase you down. Then, yes, he may end up being killed. :doh: But if you see one on the trail and say "Hey, lets kill the snake because he might bite someone someday” ... the snake may not be your biggest problem that day, if you know what I mean. ;)

:cheesy: if I see anything besides a worm I am running the other way. Don't have to worry about me killing them.

Chris and I will hide from the snakes and spiders. :cheesy:

Top Bottom