Passenger Side U Joint Broke

DaJudge

Front.jpg
Axles.jpg

Passenger side has been disassembled. New shafts have 1410 U joints.
Good thing I bought ball joints because they were done. Also the steering is worn, I will have to do something about that.
I think stellantis needs to rethink their specs. How can it take less use than the D30 in my XJ? And yes I know the Gladiator is a lot heavier, but it is supposed to be a much heavier duty axle.

Oh well. I still love it and it is worth upgrading!

Taking a break for now. My back has demanded it. Having a messed up back sucks!

Last edited:

DaJudge

Interesting they have two zerks for the ol double whammy grease session
Thought that was weird. They say it is so you can more easily grease them with the wheel on. I guess we will see. I got them because they have a snap ring to keep the upper ball joint from pulling out. (and I know several people who have run them for years with no issues. hopefully they will hold up)

Thought that was weird. They say it is so you can more easily grease them with the wheel on. I guess we will see. I got them because they have a snap ring to keep the upper ball joint from pulling out. (and I know several people who have run them for years with no issues. hopefully they will hold up)
I went through 3 sets in 15k miles but… hope you have better luck.

jeeeep

Hooked
I like the snap ring idea but like ResurectionJK says, reliability is an issue even if they are "rebuildable."

What tires and wheels were you running when you had them?
38” Nittos and ATX Beadlocks. Rebuilding them got really old and beside those I had their “lifetime adjustable ball joints” that I got 25k out of them before they flat out came apart. I live local to them and bought into their hype when I was first building my jeep and with the exception of their front axle and my Falcons… it was all garbage.

Glad you’re getting your front end all dialed in. Always a good feeling.

I need to check my ball joints for play. Haven’t touched them in 3 years…

DaJudge

Ran into a problem. The axle shafts I bought do not work with the FAD. Dana Spicer lists two different parts numbers. One is labled with FAD Delete. The other is not. However the axle shafts are the same with each part number. The "with FAD delete" ones come with a coupler, cover, bolts and a snap ring that connects the inner to the inner-inner and doesn't unlock. The other one is just the shafts but is useless without the coupler, etc. Their website doesn't mention any of this. I found a right up on a different forum that someone had the new ones machined so they would work. Wish I would have found that BEFORE I bought them. Thanks DANA Spicer, your website sucks.
Waiting to hear back from Jeremy about what can be done. (this is in no way his fault)
I should have never tried to keep the FAD.

Ran into a problem. The axle shafts I bought do not work with the FAD. Dana Spicer lists two different parts numbers. One is labled with FAD Delete. The other is not. However the axle shafts are the same with each part number. The "with FAD delete" ones come with a coupler, cover, bolts and a snap ring that connects the inner to the inner-inner and doesn't unlock. The other one is just the shafts but is useless without the coupler, etc. Their website doesn't mention any of this. I found a right up on a different forum that someone had the new ones machined so they would work. Wish I would have found that BEFORE I bought them. Thanks DANA Spicer, your website sucks.
Waiting to hear back from Jeremy about what can be done. (this is in no way his fault)
I should have never tried to keep the FAD.
Shoot me back a call. I got some info for ya.

DaJudge

Shoot me back a call. I got some info for ya.
Thank you Jeremy! Just an FIY everyone. The parts are fine. I am not sure what happened with the situation in the other thread I referenced but Jeremey basically talked me down off the ledge after he did his own research which included calling someone who uses the axles! The parts should work as advertised. So I will be putting it back together Saturday.
Disciple for the win...excellent customer service that went above and beyond!

jeeeep

Hooked
Thank you Jeremy! Just an FIY everyone. The parts are fine. I am not sure what happened with the situation in the other thread I referenced but Jeremey basically talked me down off the ledge after he did his own research which included calling someone who uses the axles! The parts should work as advertised. So I will be putting it back together Saturday.
Disciple for the win...excellent customer service that went above and beyond!
post up pics of what you thought was issue and what the correct installation procedure? is.

I may be facing this if I decide to upgrade axle shafts when I do ball joints.

DaJudge

New issue. The large u-joints hit the parts the bulges for the grease jerks on the top of the bottom ball joint. Too much interference too. grind down. ordered I set of synergy ball joints. Going to replace the bottom and leave the top. Looks like the teraflex ones are already causing an issue. If it didn't have two zerks that stick up out of the top, they would be fine.

jeeeep

Hooked
New issue. The large u-joints hit the parts the bulges for the grease jerks on the top of the bottom ball joint. Too much interference too. grind down. ordered I set of synergy ball joints. Going to replace the bottom and leave the top. Looks like the teraflex ones are already causing an issue. If it didn't have two zerks that stick up out of the top, they would be fine.
Why not use an allen head set screw to block off the zerk not needed? Don't need both, they are there for convenience or in your case, inconvenience - Ace Hardware is your friend.

Took a closer look at the TF ball joints, do the humps that the zerk screw into contact the axle shafts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom