Passenger Side U Joint Broke

DaJudge

I assume it must have been defective. Jeep has 21K on it and it came apart while the wife was going to or from work Monday. (of course she didn't notice anything) I got in in it to go to work Tuesday morning and it was thunk-thunk-thunk. It was dark and I needed to run to work so I put it back in the garage and took the XJ. (which had been sitting for 2 months and started instantly like it always does) Things break but the dealer couldn't care less. The soonest they can get it in is the 27 and I have to arrange to have it towed. Yet another reason to hate dealers.
Ujoint.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if I would say that it "broke" or at least, yet but you definitely lost a bearing cap and that isn't exactly uncommon especially if you wheel your Jeep. It doesn't take much for the yokes to wallow out a bit and enough to allow the caps to spin. This will cause the c-clips to come free and then you're without a cap. It is the reason why I always recommend shafts that have u-joints with full circle clips.

DaJudge

I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been wheeled a lot or had big tires, but stock Rubi tires and wheels and not a lot of wheeling. Maybe I have the wrong view of this? Maybe I should view it as an excuse to upgrade to better shafts!

I wouldn’t bother waiting to get it fixed. If you need to drive it, pull the shaft and swap out the U-joint yourself or pay a shop $50 to do it for you. You could also just roll around without the shaft in until they can get you in.

Just retrace your steps, you should be able to find the needle bearings and reinstall them.

lol, sorry, couldn’t resist…I can’t even keep those things in the cap when it’s in the palm of my hand.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I wouldn’t bother waiting to get it fixed. If you need to drive it, pull the shaft and swap out the U-joint yourself or pay a shop $50 to do it for you. You could also just roll around without the shaft in until they can get you in.
As long as you don’t mind the gear oil running out all over the place!

Top Bottom