On-board air: best bang for your buck?

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
Thinking of putting on-board air on the new JLU. I know there’s at least 2 JK/JL ARB kits but I’m wondering if anyone has experience with any other brands/kits? Not that I’m completely opposed to going the ARB route, just thinking there’s gotta be other (potentially money saving) options too.

From a quick forum search I couldn’t find a singular on-board air mega thread type of deal…so maybe this could turn into that if there’s enough shared information, idk. Or I’m a dummy and just missed it 😅

Cheers!

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
Yeah the ARB single is what I think I’ll end up biting the bullet and going with, was just hoping there were other options on the market by now lol thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, if we're talking portable compressors, I will admit that I have this Smittybilt.

Not typically a fan of anything 4WP if only because they have QC issues but assuming you get a good unit, I have found this thing to work really well and it's cheap. I should note, I have seen some crap out after one use but so far, I've been lucky with mine.

Upvote 0

Andy5160

Hooked
I ran Viair 400 I believe when I had the JK, it worked well. Still have it seating in the garage. On my JL I have ARB twin installed and it is awesome. There are other options out there but as many already said you can't beat reliability of ARB and yes it comes at cost but it is worth it.

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
You run 70 PSI on the highway? What mileage do you get?
Towing a 35 foot fifth wheel toy hauler.... about 11 maybe 13 if the wind is just right

And I usually run about 80 PSI but it takes as long for the pump to get from 70 to 80 as it does to get from 20 to 70, it also gets the pump hot.

Upvote 0

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
I’ve been perusing the interwebs all evening trying to find another way and there just really isn’t. Kind of crazy that no one but ARB has entered this market. Guess it’s too “risky” for anyone else to jump in. Probably not worth it in the end. My buddy recommended the Milwaukee M12 cordless compact inflator that’s supposedly the fastest portable tire inflator on the market and it’d be a lot cheaper than forking out the dough for the ARB, the lines, the mount, etc. so maybe I’ll go that route instead.

The only other thing that intrigued me was Smittybilt’s Compact Air System (gas canister lookin’ one). They have a mount for it but it’s on the roll bar only (unless maybe I found a way to modify it and put it elsewhere). It’s intriguing but like Eddie referenced…Smitty isn’t really known for quality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I’ve been perusing the interwebs all evening trying to find another way and there just really isn’t. Kind of crazy that no one but ARB has entered this market. Guess it’s too “risky” for anyone else to jump in. Probably not worth it in the end. My buddy recommended the Milwaukee M12 cordless compact inflator that’s supposedly the fastest portable tire inflator on the market and it’d be a lot cheaper than forking out the dough for the ARB, the lines, the mount, etc. so maybe I’ll go that route instead.

The only other thing that intrigued me was Smittybilt’s Compact Air System (gas canister lookin’ one). They have a mount for it but it’s on the roll bar only (unless maybe I found a way to modify it and put it elsewhere). It’s intriguing but like Eddie referenced…Smitty isn’t really known for quality.
Are you only planning to fill tires? There’s a whole slew of 12v compressors out there. Viair was mentioned but most of what you’ll see out there is ARB. The Smittybilt tank you are talking about is just a 10lb CO2 tank. You could build your own and be money ahead. But you’ll also have to refill it every couple trips. I used a local fire extinguisher company and it was $20/fill. I used to run a CO2 tank but switch over to an ARB twin. No more tank taking up space in the back and never have to fill it.

Upvote 0

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
Oh boy, that does sound like a headache then. And yes, just for tires until forever down the line when lockers come into the discussion (likely after paid off).

This conversation is leading me to just stick with a 12v compressor for now until we get real serious into off-roading again (so when we get a second JLU). It’d be very convenient to have on-board air…but just throwing the HF, Smittybilt, whoever portable one in the storage compartment is really all I need at this moment vs blowing $800+ on a more permanent setup.

Upvote 0

RCC

Oh boy, that does sound like a headache then. And yes, just for tires until forever down the line when lockers come into the discussion (likely after paid off).

This conversation is leading me to just stick with a 12v compressor for now until we get real serious into off-roading again (so when we get a second JLU). It’d be very convenient to have on-board air…but just throwing the HF, Smittybilt, whoever portable one in the storage compartment is really all I need at this moment vs blowing $800+ on a more permanent setup.

ARB singles are $300-$340

Upvote 0

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

Viair makes some good portables as well if you’re looking for better quality. I think they’re reasonably priced. But if it’s something you’re gonna use infrequently, don’t want to spend much and time to air up isn’t as important, I’d just get a cheapo one off Amazon or something.

Upvote 0

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
Why do you need on board air to drive to the grocery store? Every gas station has free air. Buy a compressor for your garage if anything.
More for the convenience than anything. Don’t have to deal with whether the portable compressor is in your Jeep, other car, garage, whatever. It’s always there on the Jeep! But yeah, a dream is a large compressor set up in the garage for power tools and such but that’s a dream/goal for the forever home…not our current house.

Upvote 0

onlyone

I’ve run the ARB twin which is great. If I were to run another compressor it will be the arb single to run lockers. I won’t switch from my C02 tank. It’s the easiest and fastest to air up with. Yes you have to have it filled, but it is so nice.

Upvote 0

sparkchaser1968

I just purchased 2 ARB singles for my two JL's and purchased the brackets and heat shields from Eddie. does anyone have any input on the longevity of the compressor being that its mounted behind the left fender well? I'm just curious because its so close the the cat. and the heat that it generates LOL

Upvote 0
Top Bottom