On-board air: best bang for your buck?

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
Thinking of putting on-board air on the new JLU. I know there’s at least 2 JK/JL ARB kits but I’m wondering if anyone has experience with any other brands/kits? Not that I’m completely opposed to going the ARB route, just thinking there’s gotta be other (potentially money saving) options too.

From a quick forum search I couldn’t find a singular on-board air mega thread type of deal…so maybe this could turn into that if there’s enough shared information, idk. Or I’m a dummy and just missed it 😅

Cheers!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just purchased 2 ARB singles for my two JL's and purchased the brackets and heat shields from Eddie. does anyone have any input on the longevity of the compressor being that its mounted behind the left fender well? I'm just curious because its so close the the cat. and the heat that it generates LOL
All I can say is that I've been running the exact same pump on Moby under the hood with his V8 and for well over 10 years now and in the stupid hot heat of the Nevada desert in summer. It's still works just fine. On our JLUR, we ran it for over 3 years and on our JT, for about 2 years. No issues what so ever.

Upvote 0

sparkchaser1968

All I can say is that I've been running the exact same pump on Moby under the hood with his V8 and for well over 10 years now and in the stupid hot heat of the Nevada desert in summer. It's still works just fine. On our JLUR, we ran it for over 3 years and on our JT, for about 2 years. No issues what so ever.
Thanks for your reply--good to know. I think I'm gonna go an extra step an add some stick on reflective heat shield the the heat shield I bought from you. I'm kind of anal with my jeeps LMAO. I'm doing the installs on my 2 rigs this weekend.

Upvote 0

GP NOIR

Hooked
Back in the 90s, we were going to junkyards and pulling compressors out of Cadillacs with the air suspension. We'd pay anywhere from $10 to $25 per compressor. They were small, quiet, would go up to 120 psi without a regulator and put out a surprising amount of air. Rigging up two or three compressors and an air tank made of PVC worked really well. I don't know how well a Cadillac compressor works today.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom