off road trailer "build"

Robar

The Enforcer
I was pleasantly surprised with the parks trails.
Also we got really lucky with all the nice weather that wknd.

Hey Robar, you should come wheeling with us sometime!:yup:
I agree. I've been meaning to get the family to Big Bend too.

westtexasjku

after my initial test run with the trailer i found that there were a few finishing touches that it will need to smooth out some minor wrinkles.
here is the list of minor modifications:

1) to 100% level the trailer i will need to raise my trailer ball about 2". I had a 2" drop/straight and i flipped it but that left me just shy of level.
i dont carry enough weight for it to really matter so its mostly aesthetics, but if you're going to do something - do it right

2)i found that it was difficult to ratchet strap my water and fuel jugs to the shackles i mounted to the deck of the trailer.
the trailer is just too narrow (or i put to much stuff in it) for me to reach the shackles when the items were in the trailer.
bc of this im going to install a few more shackles on the walls of the trailer about halfway up.

3)this one i didnt realize until i got home fromt he trip and started to store the trailer. i need a jackstand!!!!! going to get one with a wheel so i can move it around. right now the tongue is resting on a 5 gallon bucket in my garage, which the trailer has essentially folded in half.

4)the trailer co that installed the new axle for me re routed my wiring when they added the subframe rails and in doing so mustve crossed something up bc the trailer lights are all screwed up. i need to take it back to them to fix asap.

thats it for now.
future plans include figuring out a way to mount removable poles to the trailer for a portable awning and some aux lighting.
also onday it might be nice to have a shallow water take fitted to the bottom of the trailer (since its so high off the ground),
as well as possibly mounting some jerry cans to the front exterior of the trailer.
that would really save some space for some extra gear when camping.

i really wanted to add a rooftop tent, and still may eventually. but right now its on the back burner bc the tents i want are pricey and i have other things on my "jeep to do list" that take precedent over a tent for the trailer (like a winch and a cb and gears and lockers and 37's and tube doors and a roof rack etc... you guys know what im talking about!!!)

updates to follow about the minor additions listed above.

texasdave

I see you added extra braces from the basket to the tongue. Other than extra bracing, was there a reason for this??

westtexasjku

I see you added extra braces from the basket to the tongue. Other than extra bracing, was there a reason for this??

nope, just for extra strength. the tongue was lengthened a foot and with the extra weight of the axle and the tires etc on the trailer the last thing i wanted was the tongue twisting or torquing. it really stiffened it up after the braces were added. theyre (the braces that is) welded to the trailer body and bolted to the trailer tongue. the tongue also bolts to the trailer under the frame in the center.

bhawghead

This is an awesome build, great job! Has given me an idea or two, been wanting to build one of these trailers also. But like you I have had other "Jeep Projects" that have taken priority over building my own trailer....but I'm getting closer! Good Job! I only wish we had scenery like that to wheel over in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Millerj87

Nice build man! That's definitely on my list in the future great idea with the utility trailer too!

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

texasdave

Yep I'm about to do the same thing. Minus the wood though. Mainly for coolers, tents and stuff. I only have a two door so I've gotta make some room.

Sent from Texas.....
Semper Fi!

bhawghead

Well, I went online to lowes.com and theres not a one of these trailers within a 100 miles of me.....figures.:bummed:

Top Bottom