off road trailer "build"

westtexasjku

That's a damn nice little trailer you got there. Really wish I had the patience to put something like this together. What's your total investment if you don't mind me asking

thx chairokey
so far this is what i have in it cost wise (dont let my fiancé see this!):
brand new trailer from lowes $350
tx plates for a year $80
a few cans of black spray paint $10
two steel 16" jk wheels $75
one 315/75r16 mud tire (i already had one) $260
3500# dexter axle, new springs, metal, shop labor $510
2x wood, bolts $80
misc $65

so to date im at around $1430 or so

i already had one tire and that storage box which total about $365

selling the crap i now dont need will offset the cost a little
like the 2000# axle and original tires and wheels and leaf springs
the spydertrax wheel apapter spacers
the 265/75r16 at tires i swooped off craigslist that i was originally going to use

i think coming in under $1500 for a brand new trailer sitting on 35's built exactly the way i want it isn't too bad.
i doubt that my fiance would feel the same way, but im sure she'll enjoy all the gear itll carry when we go camping!

Chairokey

thx chairokey
so far this is what i have in it cost wise (dont let my fiancé see this!):
brand new trailer from lowes $350
tx plates for a year $80
a few cans of black spray paint $10
two steel 16" jk wheels $75
one 315/75r16 mud tire (i already had one) $260
3500# dexter axle, new springs, metal, shop labor $510
2x wood, bolts $80
misc $65

so to date im at around $1430 or so

i already had one tire and that storage box which total about $365

selling the crap i now dont need will offset the cost a little
like the 2000# axle and original tires and wheels and leaf springs
the spydertrax wheel apapter spacers
the 265/75r16 at tires i swooped off craigslist that i was originally going to use

i think coming in under $1500 for a brand new trailer sitting on 35's built exactly the way i want it isn't too bad.
i doubt that my fiance would feel the same way, but im sure she'll enjoy all the gear itll carry when we go camping!

Hey not too bad!!

westtexasjku

Hey not too bad!!

thats what i thought too

when i first started looking into putting a trailer together i was shopping for an m416 or similar
everything i found was:
1) still pretty pricey and rusted out beyond reason
or 2) it was rebuilt and awesome and it was priced at "first born child".

with my little $350 base utility trailer i was really able to ease into this build and found that it was exactly what i wanted in the long run.
i almost bought a 4x6 utility trailer made from pipe instead of my little guy and im glad i didn't bc it would've ended up being too heavy for my liking after i changed out the axle and springs etc...

Last edited:

westtexasjku

So we leave for big bend national park early Saturday morning so I figured I would go ahead and start loading up the trailer and jeep making sure all my gear was packed and checking my packing list as I go. It's SO Much nicer not having all this Crap in the jeep! I'm still gathering up my tools but you can see that the storage box is really being put to good use.
The storage box currently contains: a recocovery strap, gloves, fix a flat, tire plug kit, air compressor, jumper cables, rope, jb weld, quick steel, hand cleaner, motor oil, coolant, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, radiator patch kit, all purpose grease, oil pan, shop towels, floor jack, two jack stands, duct tape, zip ties, electrical tape, fuses, ponchos, flashlights, lighters, first aid kit, snake bite kit, glow sticks, 550 para cord, spare ammo, tarp, bungee, paper towels, a 12 volt hand held spot light, and Prob a few other misc things I can't recall right now.
Tonight I'll add to that list of stuff in the box:
A small tool box full of hand tools, mini shovel, bottle jack, a couple of old towels, a hatchet, a folding hand saw, toilet paper, wet wipes, ratchet straps and misc bolts and spare parts.
It's a lot of stuff but where we four wheel is so remote and has no cell service or shade or water and is usually very close to uncontrolled Mexico borders I will always be over prepared.
In the trailer behind the storage box is a cooler full of drinks (beer, water, gatorade, juice), two 5 gallon gas cans, two 6 gallon water cans, and two camping chairs will be stored under the box.
In the jeep I will have a camel back on the back of each of the front seats, a smaller first aid/trauma kit, a fire extinguisher, a non digital compass, a map, spare keys, a cooler of water, a cooler of food, rain jackets, spare clothes and shoes, my 45 w spare mags, my fiances 22 pistol, my 5.56 rifle with spare mags, a couple of fixed blade knives, my fiances diabetic supplies, etc.
1374792202024.jpg
1374792227474.jpg
1374792242815.jpg
1374792299528.jpg
1374792323901.jpg

Check out "West Texas Crawlers" on Facebook

Last edited:

westtexasjku

still have to build the gate for the trailer and mount the license plate to it
after that, its basically ready to roll...
i also need to mount the cargo deck cover i built and put the doors on the jeep
ill take the doors off when we get to the national park (we are staying at a lodge there within the park, next to the ranger station)
no camping this time, def not roughing it this trip.
the fiancé wants to sleep in a bed and shower etc this time around

westtexasjku

Working on the gate finally
Also touched up the trailer w flat black paint
Including the new axle and suspension
Cut off the excess bolts and painted them and the nylon lock nuts flat black
1374877374235.jpg
1374877385985.jpg
1374877396822.jpg
1374877405743.jpg
1374877414714.jpg

westtexasjku

Also bolted on the cargo deck I built a while back
It got kind of dusty sitting in the garage
1374877476169.jpg

westtexasjku

took the trailer to big bend natl park this wknd
it did really really well
pulled great on the hwy
handled the off road trails with ease
followed 100% behind the jeep on very narrow and winding cliffside trails
will tweak a few minor things but nothing major (will post these in a few...)
ill post a few photos and maybe a video or two of it in action
so glad i built it
will be used all time now
love it
IMG_0124.jpg IMG_0434.jpg IMG_0330.jpg IMG_0299.jpg IMG_0269.jpg IMG_0262.jpg IMG_0255.jpg IMG_0234.jpg IMG_0229.jpg Rv8s7YxNYUH2WT8o0wTH5KgvNXMTxOIKfVyA-vGWeL0.jpg

westtexasjku

here are a few short and shakey video clips of the trailer
pardon the shakiness, my fiance is still working on her trail video skills
first is on a maintained national park road going over some bowling ball sized rocks
the second is bouncing out of an 18" rock crevice
the third is just climbing up a slight grade
fourth is a little dry creek bed and you can see the trailer tilting opposite of the jeep a little bit
click here for the the first video
second video here
third video
number 4

Last edited:
Top Bottom