Not be beat a dead horse but...NEW Teraflex Tire Carrier BREAK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And there you have it folks - Dennis at TeraFlex finally came on to our Facebook page to declare yet again how this break was due to install error...

teraflex.jpg

:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm wonder if I give him my number if he's willing to contact me directly to tell me exactly what I did wrong?

Well clearly, you didn't follow the instructions the first time around and then, you didn't mount your spare correctly the second time around. I mean, what kind of retard are you? :naw:

Good thing Dennis will take care of you anyway :naw:

FuriousDz

Well clearly, you didn't follow the instructions the first time around and then, you didn't mount your spare correctly the second time around. I mean, what kind of retard are you? :naw:

Good thing Dennis will take care of you anyway :naw:

I guess the kind that can make 2 out 3 pieces of a product fail 😃

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, what I don't get is that Dennis is actually ADMITTING that they've had breaks, albeit he's blaming the customer for it, but, if you KNOW there is a possibility of failure, why not take steps to mitigate it. I mean, JUST IN CASE for crying out loud!!! :naw:

Hmmm wonder if I give him my number if he's willing to contact me directly to tell me exactly what I did wrong?

So, what I don't get is that Dennis is actually ADMITTING that they've had breaks, albeit he's blaming the customer for it, but, if you KNOW there is a possibility of failure, why not take steps to mitigate it. I mean, JUST IN CASE for crying out loud!!! :naw:

Because that would require spending money on extra R&D and that would just make too much sense... truely is saddening

FuriousDz

Well as someone else mentioned if it truly is because of an install error why did they go to the lengths of redesigning one of their pieces? I don't know of any business who will use engineering time and money to redesign a part that isn't flawed.

They gusseted the part that was having most of the breaks and in doing so exposed the next weak link in the chain. Maybe if they fix that piece the next thing to happen is the tailgate will fall off due to their hinge failing

GCM 2

Sounds like GM and their key fob recall. Only after 14(?) people died did they start to address the issue that it may have been a design flaw. I guess recalling "thousands" of the best selling tire carrier would hurt profit margins. Wait until there is a wrongful death case thrown at them........

Sounds like GM and their key fob recall. Only after 14(?) people died did they start to address the issue that it may have been a design flaw. I guess recalling "thousands" of the best selling tire carrier would hurt profit margins. Wait until there is a wrongful death case thrown at them........

I really hope it never comes to that extreme...

Tigrcky

Sadly it won't come back on them... They will simply cry installer error...

Sent from my whatchamacallit

VipermanGT2

Hinge or Carrier?

I may be asking something that someone already asked but I just wanted to clarify. I've read some of the other thread about the teraflex carrier. I just want to know, are these breaks and thread about this relating to the tire MOUNT, or are the breaks on the HINGE. I have the smittybilt/shittybilt(whatever you wanna call it) oversized tire carrier, and I'm surprisingly satisfied with the design and way it holds the tire. So, my thought is, instead of buying a whole new bumper and tire carrier. Could I just purchase the Teraflex hinge only, and use that with the Smittybilt tire carrier? Or have the hinges had problems too? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!:thumb:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I may be asking something that someone already asked but I just wanted to clarify. I've read some of the other thread about the teraflex carrier. I just want to know, are these breaks and thread about this relating to the tire MOUNT, or are the breaks on the HINGE. I have the smittybilt/shittybilt(whatever you wanna call it) oversized tire carrier, and I'm surprisingly satisfied with the design and way it holds the tire. So, my thought is, instead of buying a whole new bumper and tire carrier. Could I just purchase the Teraflex hinge only, and use that with the Smittybilt tire carrier? Or have the hinges had problems too? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!:thumb:

Pretty much just the mount, but I've never heard of a factory hinge breaking, so I don't see the point of the over priced hinge. If by chance you come off a ledge, you're still going to bend your tailgate, maybe break your rear window. If thinking of using the hinge for the rotopax, the design can break your rear window also.
My preference is evo, followed by genright. Poison spider is coming out with one, might be worth a look if you like their stuff. I really prefer carriers that enclose the tire with tubing. Just my opinion.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Why do you need the hinge? I've never seen a hinge fail and I'm pretty sure Eddie hasn't seen on either since the Jk was released in late 2006.

Welcome to the Wayalife. I find it strange that you chose to make your first post in a thread about an inferior product.

How about stoping by the Give us a Wave thread and properly introduce yourself.

R/
Will

VipermanGT2

Why do you need the hinge? I've never seen a hinge fail and I'm pretty sure Eddie hasn't seen on either since the Jk was released in late 2006.

It seems to me that my tailgate is sagging. I don't know if that's because of the tire weight(35 duratrac) but i was just thinking the hinge would beef it up so as not to let the tailgate sag anymore.

Top Bottom