Not be beat a dead horse but...NEW Teraflex Tire Carrier BREAK

FuriousDz

Hey all.

I know lots of you saw and responded to my original thread about the teraflex tire carrier below...

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?14066-Old-news-but-in-case-there-are-any-doubters

So I took off the piece that attatches to the hinge and tailgate today and found more problems. Again this is NOT the pice from the original thread.
Apparently the piece that attaches to the tire is not the only faulty piece that can/will fail as you can see in the pics below.

Again sorry to bring this issue up again as I know it causes certain people to get offended but I thought it was important to share.

IMG_1265.jpg IMG_1266.jpg IMG_1267.jpg IMG_1268.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Don't be sorry, this is actually helpful so people can see that this carrier is dangerous. Thanks for posting this

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Nothing to be sorry about, people will learn from your honesty and hopefully not buy this POS carrier.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Teraflex. Putting the flex in your tire carrier since 2012.

:crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You have got to be kidding me!! So to be clear, you had the mount part break before and now this is a NEW break you are seeing on the part that bolts up to the tailgate itself?? Simply unbelievable. :naw:

Thank you so much for posting this up as I really do feel that people who own this tire carrier NEED to know about this.

Tigrcky

So how could this ever be installer error??? Only installer error I see is installing a bad product...

Sent from my whatchamacallit

FuriousDz

You have got to be kidding me!! So to be clear, you had the mount part break before and now this is a NEW break you are seeing on the part that bolts up to the tailgate itself?? Simply unbelievable. :naw:

Thank you so much for posting this up as I really do feel that people who own this tire carrier NEED to know about this.

Yes Eddie, this is the actual carrier that holds the first piece that failed that you mount the tire to :furious3:

So all of those pieces they are sending that are gusseted to replace the first design will not help. In face they will most likely move the problem to piece above.

So if you go by the teraflex site there are 3 pieces to there carrier.

The hinge itself which is really not needed because the stock hinge is plenty strong
The carrier which mounts to the tailgate (This is my NEW break above)
and the adjustable tire mount. This is the piece we are seeing most breaks with and was my FIRST break. Also the one they are sending out gusseted replacements for.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So how could this ever be installer error??? Only installer error I see is installing a bad product...

What's sad is this is Teraflexs excuse almost every time with these breaks. Why anyone would want to run this hazard is beyond me. Being brand loyal is one thing, but to the point that people don't care about other people's safety is unreal.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Unfortuantely for me I have to agree with you there...:grayno:

Lol Dont beat yourself up we all make mistakes and it's not like the manufacturer is making it known. :eek: Be glad that it didnt tear off when you were on the highway. And others have already said, thank you for posting this. People really need to know. :beer:

Loading please wait....

Tigrcky

Unfortuantely for me I have to agree with you there...:grayno:

Do not take it as an insult to you in anyway, it's teraflex that lied to you while actively knowing their product is defective and dangerous!

FuriousDz

Do not take it as an insult to you in anyway, it's teraflex that lied to you while actively knowing their product is defective and dangerous!

Not at all, I knew what you meant.

Unfortunately I bought this thing when it first came out and before I saw Eddie's original post about it otherwise I would have just saved up somemore money for the EVO carrier.

DH2002

Isn't there a way that if enough people file complaints with like consumer reports they can shame them into a recall?? I mean this thing seems like it's putting people's lives in danger...

RickyI

Thank You for bringing this to our attention..... I have one of these, got it just before I learned of WAL and now because of these post, I have been checking on mine every weekend.... I don't do any hard or rough trails here in Louisiana, but our roads sure make up the difference, trust me!:eek:

I'm running a 35" on the spare, so yes, I will keep checking on mine and YES, thank you for posting this up for us!

Ricky

FuriousDz

Just wanted to add that I havent even been able to wheel my jeep in about 8 months so this occured with just daily driving.:idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to add that I havent even been able to wheel my jeep in about 8 months so this occured with just daily driving.:idontknow:

Oh, I believe it. The crack looks as if it's been growing over time. Simply unbelievable. :naw:

hogtyed

:twocents: Don't be sorry, even though I don't have this product. I would always want to know about any faulty product that could cause me or anyone else harm.

Top Bottom