Need some suggestions/advice on tire carrier options

GraniteCrystal

No, lol that doesn't require all five fingers.

Not sure when I'll sell it. If you're interested I'll consider it now. [emoji6]

I would like to change it out the EVO tire carrier particularly since I'll be putting on the corners now. I like the fact that you have extra johnny joints if you get in a jam as I do run the adjustable control arms.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks, I'm saving up for the new design. Of course, by the time I have the money, I'll probably be able to find it for sale used!

benatc1

Hooked
Did you look at the new Lod carrier/bumper combo? That's what I'm aiming for. Opens with tailgate. Carries more than just a tire. Weight doesn't go in the tailgate. Seems to be pretty effortless based on the video on it.

If sold on bumper less, maybe the AEV one would be a good fit. Similar qualities to the LoD but bolts directly to frame so no bumper necessary.

I'm pretty set on bumper less based on how many times I smacked rocks on the Rubicon, may look at the AEV however one of the docs I work with has that tire carrier and I don't love the look for some reason. thanks for the input!

Personally, I would NOT recommend ANY tailgate tire carrier solution including EVO's. You've got to remember that when your tailgate is closed, there is a rubber gasket sitting between gate and body that will allow movement between the two. If you have a hard top, this can cause your glass to squeak and if you drive fast over rough terrain, you can have rattling and clunking cause by this. This is to say nothing about catching your spare when coming off a tall ledge or starting a steep climb. This WILL cause tailgate damage and again, if you have a hard top, can cause your rear glass to break. Trust me, these are things that I have seen happen with my own eyes.

Of the options listed, I personally would recommend the EVO body mount with corners. It is a bit more than Genright but you will get a rear end that is built solid. The Genright solution would be a second choice if you can't afford the EVO setup.

That being said, if you're open to other options, I might recommend the AEV tire carrier without the bumper. Unlike most of the other swing out solution out there, this design is the ONLY one that the spindle is mounted to the frame and is still only requires one hand to open up the tailgate. It's a clean and simple design and one that does NOT require you to run their bumper as well.

I think the body mount and corners will be my best bet, especially with running bumper less it will be good to sure up the corners ahead of time. I'll just have to suck it up and pop some holes in that new body!! side note have u painted other powder coated yours??

To add one to what Eddie said here is the thread on how to make the AEV carrier work with the EVO D-rings and fascia.

EVO Fascia with AEV Tire Carrier

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=37237&share_fid=59401&share_type=t

I remember seeing that thread before, thanks for the link and I will certainly check it out and determine what I want to do

No, lol that doesn't require all five fingers.

Not sure when I'll sell it. If you're interested I'll consider it now. [emoji6]

I would like to change it out the EVO tire carrier particularly since I'll be putting on the corners now. I like the fact that you have extra johnny joints if you get in a jam as I do run the adjustable control arms.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

let's try and keep the sexual innuendo's to a minimum, this is a place of learning!! [emoji12]. I do appreciate all your feedback in here and it has for sure helped me make my decision!

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the body mount and corners will be my best bet, especially with running bumper less it will be good to sure up the corners ahead of time. I'll just have to suck it up and pop some holes in that new body!! side note have u painted other powder coated yours??

All my stuff is powder coated.

benatc1

Hooked
For here anyway. If I lived back east in the rust belt, I might not go that route. I have sealed everything between the armor and body with silicon and so far, haven't had any problems with rust or otherwise.
well let's just hope I can avoid moving back to the rust belt![emoji106]

Basscat

Be for Evo released their tail gate mount tire carrier was I set on buying the full Evo carrier with the corners and being done with it but I liked the idea of the tailgate mounted carrier as it would fit my needs and budget well. Currently I have no tire carrier and it is getting old real fast- I donated my stock one to my 2 door for it to be sold- im currently on 35s but hope to be on 37s by the end of the spring. right now here are my options and im hopeful to keep cost down but want to only do this once and he happy with it. also I will be running no rear bumper (evo fascia)

From what I keep reading, the evo tailgate carrier is great but it sounds like they haven't worked out all the kinks just yet, I love the evo carrier and corners im just not convinced i want to put corners on my jeep quite yet as its is only 4 months old. the genright is a option too but basically is the same price as the evo if you don't count the corners however im worried that ill eventually want/need corners and will have wished I just went with the evo from the start.

her are the rough prices-

evo tailgate- 650

evo body mount/corners- 1350 + taillights + powdercoat/paint for both carrier and corners

genright- 1100 + powdercoat/paint

if anyone else has any other products that will fit my needs id be happy to check them out.. any suggestions to help push me in the right direction will be great! thanks!

If you're going no bigger than 37s you don't have to go with the basket or cage style carrier. The bumper mounted and hinge mounted units will work. What ever you're considering I'd include AEV, Poison Spyder and Crawler Conceptz as possibilities along with the EVO and others mentioned. The "one piece" tailgate/carrier operation is pretty sweet on some of these.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

mastrcruse

Just my .02.

I had the Poison Spyder body mounted carrier on mine for a while and it did what I needed it to but had some problems. They've updated the handle which was rattling on mine (I had the 1st gen handle) and it drove me absolutely nuts. If going past 37's or even going with 37's I would probably not trust it for heavier packages. Its positives is that it's a 1 handle opening mechanism and isn't a bad install.

Genright: since I have Poison Spyder corners, if I go back with a tire carrier, this'll be the one I go with. I'd go all Evo but I don't want to put even more holes in the jeep and guessing that Evo and Poison Spyder corners don't have the same hole alignment haha.

Evo: I have switched my bumpers to Evo from Poison Spyder and man are the Evo items such of beastly quality. I'd go with evo's products.

Quick and easy:
Poison Spyder: don't do it
Genright: best option if you have corners already that aren't Evo.
Evo: best option and go to if you don't have corners yet but also look at their new tire carrier.

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
If you're going no bigger than 37s you don't have to go with the basket or cage style carrier. The bumper mounted and hinge mounted units will work. What ever you're considering I'd include AEV, Poison Spyder and Crawler Conceptz as possibilities along with the EVO and others mentioned. The "one piece" tailgate/carrier operation is pretty sweet on some of these.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don't know if I'll ever go 40s or not but I'd like to think maybe someday? I'll check the others out, thanks for your input!

Just my .02.

I had the Poison Spyder body mounted carrier on mine for a while and it did what I needed it to but had some problems. They've updated the handle which was rattling on mine (I had the 1st gen handle) and it drove me absolutely nuts. If going past 37's or even going with 37's I would probably not trust it for heavier packages. Its positives is that it's a 1 handle opening mechanism and isn't a bad install.

Genright: since I have Poison Spyder corners, if I go back with a tire carrier, this'll be the one I go with. I'd go all Evo but I don't want to put even more holes in the jeep and guessing that Evo and Poison Spyder corners don't have the same hole alignment haha.

Evo: I have switched my bumpers to Evo from Poison Spyder and man are the Evo items such of beastly quality. I'd go with evo's products.

Quick and easy:
Poison Spyder: don't do it
Genright: best option if you don't have corners yet
Evo: best option and go to if you don't have corners yet but also look at their new tire carrier.

seems to be a theme with this, thank you for your detailed response and honest review

Riflefan

I have been very happy with my AEV tire carrier. I know that it is expensive, but seems to be well built and the design is solid. It mounts directly to the frame, so I am sure you could get it to mount through about any bumper or non bumper setup.

The bonus is that it is very easy to swing, so my wife and kids have no issues accessing the rig when needed.

I have not discovered a drawback with it yet, now that the pocket book impact is forgotten. I am also just using this Jeep for search and rescue, so I do not wheel as nearly hard as most on this forum. Lots and lots of easy to moderate trails and not one squeak out of the tire carrier.

-Jarrod

Mkp08

I would check out MoRryde they have a nice tire carrier. I have one and run 37's and jave never had a problem with it. Its a great carrier and its less expensive then the rest.

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
I like to keep my spare tire connected to my Jeep while I need it. gets annoying to have to keep going backward down the the trail to keep picking the damn thing up!!😂

Top Bottom