Military Service Advice

Aeraun

I have noticed that there are a lot of current military personnel and veterans on the forum and first off let me just say thank you for all of your sacrifices and service to this nation. I have a soft spot for anyone in the service and seriously believe all of you deserve a lot more than you receive. I have had many interests, hobbies, and passions but the two at the top have always been automotives and the military/law enforcement. I chose to go down the automotive pathway and went to school for engineering but that did not work out and now I am going to be finishing with a BA in criminal justice. Life is about making choices and experiencing and learning from everything, good and bad, but unfortunately I have a few big regrets one of which is not enlisting after highschool. I just got called for the next Port Authority of NY NJ class and will most likely be taking the job if I get in and use it as a stepping stone to go federal in some capacity. But I still don't think anything will be as rewarding for me as serving in the military. I mapped out what I wanted to do - Army to be a Ranger and then move to Special Forces with an ultimate goal of being a part of Delta Force and then after that hopefully going in the CIA. I am not some Call of Duty fanboy who thinks it'll be cool to shoot guns all day and whatnot (even though I do play a lot of cod lol), but I am serious about it and have done my research and will be doing it for what I believe are the right reasons. But nothing compares to the stories of those who have done it, though all subjective, I would appreciate if any of you guys and gals could offer me any advice. And thank you all again for everything you have done for this country.

VADER JK

Those are some big goals! The biggest piece of advice I could give you is definitely do you're research and talk to as many guys that have gone down that path that you can. If you're 100% sure that thats what you want to do then go for it. You just have to start the necessary steps to get started like going to the recruiter, MEPS, and so on. I'm 11B so if you have any questions i'd be more than happy to help.

NY1982JK

All I can say is do what is going to make you happy! I enlisted just over 10 years ago and have been to some amazing places I never would have though of going had I not joined the military. That being said I have found it is time for me to settle down back in the states and currently find myself persuing a LE job as well. I do not regret my decision to enlist whatsoever. I have made lifelong friends with bonds stronger than I thought were possible.

With that being said I do envy your current position. I just took the NY/NJ Port Authority exam myself and am waiting for the "Random Selection Process" to possibly reach me lol. I would do anything to get into the Port Authority or NYPD at the moment!

Either way you decide I wish you the best of luck! Follow what will make you happy and you can't go wrong!

Millerj87

A lot of different mos's have a form of ranger all of which can move on to bigger and better things.. As the tabs go up they become more physically and mentally demanding, on your family and friends as well moving up the way you want will most likely result in ALOT of deployments for you some of which you can't tell anyone about.. I did 6 years as a 21B combat engineer Sapper it's physically and mentally draining and all they want to do is deploy I loved it at first but then realized it was taking a toll on my family( missing some of the moments most take for granted) all I can say is you'll never know if you love it till you try it so give it a shot if its not for you then it's not but it maybe the best thing you've ever done! :) just my :2cents:

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I volunteered for the Army in '68 intending to put in my two years and bail out. I stayed five. Those were tough years during Vietnam. I've never regretted it. Every branch of today's military is so much better than back in the day. It's not easy, but whatever branch or path you choose, get as much training as you can.:twocents: I highly recommend jump school. If you're straight leg Infantry, flying to the action beats walking.:cheesy: All the best!:yup:

Aeraun

Thank you all for your replies. I understand what my goals entail and I am willing to make those sacrifices. Lots of other personal factors involved but I have no problem with being deployed like crazy and most likely not having a family of my own and so on. I believe that much in what I would be doing. However I will admit the physicality I think is something that's holding me back. I have played football most of my life but was never much of a runner and haven't done much since highschool. Its not the physicality itself but to be really honest I think its just a feeling of doubt. That what if I really try my absolute hardest, 110% and just still can't do it. I know this is not a good reason not to do it and definitely not the kind of mindset someone should have when looking to do this but for some reason I just have that internal conflict as this point in time.

matt08jk

Thank you all for your replies. I understand what my goals entail and I am willing to make those sacrifices. Lots of other personal factors involved but I have no problem with being deployed like crazy and most likely not having a family of my own and so on. I believe that much in what I would be doing. However I will admit the physicality I think is something that's holding me back. I have played football most of my life but was never much of a runner and haven't done much since highschool. Its not the physicality itself but to be really honest I think its just a feeling of doubt. That what if I really try my absolute hardest, 110% and just still can't do it. I know this is not a good reason not to do it and definitely not the kind of mindset someone should have when looking to do this but for some reason I just have that internal conflict as this point in time.

Aeraun,

First, let me applaud your willingness to serve; it is seemingly rare these days. If you want, shoot me a PM; I am an aviator and therefore do not fall in line with your preferred pathway, however, I have been attached to some particular units in the past that have given me insight you might find useful. I wish you the best.

Matt

Army_Vet

Banned
I have noticed that there are a lot of current military personnel and veterans on the forum and first off let me just say thank you for all of your sacrifices and service to this nation. I have a soft spot for anyone in the service and seriously believe all of you deserve a lot more than you receive. I have had many interests, hobbies, and passions but the two at the top have always been automotives and the military/law enforcement. I chose to go down the automotive pathway and went to school for engineering but that did not work out and now I am going to be finishing with a BA in criminal justice. Life is about making choices and experiencing and learning from everything, good and bad, but unfortunately I have a few big regrets one of which is not enlisting after highschool. I just got called for the next Port Authority of NY NJ class and will most likely be taking the job if I get in and use it as a stepping stone to go federal in some capacity. But I still don't think anything will be as rewarding for me as serving in the military. I mapped out what I wanted to do - Army to be a Ranger and then move to Special Forces with an ultimate goal of being a part of Delta Force and then after that hopefully going in the CIA. I am not some Call of Duty fanboy who thinks it'll be cool to shoot guns all day and whatnot (even though I do play a lot of cod lol), but I am serious about it and have done my research and will be doing it for what I believe are the right reasons. But nothing compares to the stories of those who have done it, though all subjective, I would appreciate if any of you guys and gals could offer me any advice. And thank you all again for everything you have done for this country.

Its not going to be what you think it will be... I would rather talk to you personally about my experiences and observations instead of putting all of it up here.

Aeraun

I will PM both of you and will include my email if that would be a preferred means of communication. Thanks

gyoja75

Shoot me a pm if you want to discuss the Ranger route. I can give you the perspective of both an enlisted man and an officer. I think that there are some other avenues that you are not considering.

"Sua Sponte"

JK1

Have you given any thought to going the National Guard route?? We to have Specail Forces in certian areas not sure about your area... would be happy to answer any questions you have about the National Guard...I'm a recruiter :synister:

Aeraun, I am extremely excited to hear you want to join the military. As member of the US Navy for 25+ years and looking at retirement next year I will tell you what you expect and reality will vary slightly. With your attitude of giving 110% and the willingness to apply 110% will take you a long way. I cannot speak for the Army, however I have served with the Army in Afghanistan for 9 months I will say they are a tight group. If you show the desire and willingness they will work with you. For the Navy SEALs they have a preperation program which you meet with a mentor weekly to check your progress. Their philosophy is if you show progress then you are showing the willingness to complete the course. I would also recommend looking into Cross Fit as a prepatory to going. It will build your body and mind at the same time.

Good Luck and wish you all the best and God Speed to you.

R/
Will

Kluso

If you go law enforcement I suggest the US Marshall's. it's a federal pay check and benefits. As far as the Feds goes the Marshall's is the only one that is still like being a cop. The other agencies have been castrated. I've been in law enforcement 34 years and have seen all the changes.

Aeraun

Have you given any thought to going the National Guard route?? We to have Specail Forces in certian areas not sure about your area... would be happy to answer any questions you have about the National Guard...I'm a recruiter :synister:

Honestly did not know that but haven't really considered it. I think if I find myself with another job and want to do military with it than maybe. But as of now I'm thinking about taking the leap and committing 100%.

And thank you all for your advice. Since it seems the experience is so subjective I am just trying to get as many perspectives as possible. Just feeling the regret I do now makes me think that I'd rather do it and hate it than not do it at all.

Top Bottom