MedixJK build thread

Well it's part of the check list on the write up
DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=311

I know I was getting a balance wobble/death wobble from one wheel before I rotated it out. Death wobble was still there but not as bad so the balance just provoked it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yep. Same here. Definitely worth checking. Balancing 'fixed' mine, but I later found out balancing was setting it in to motion. Ultimately was a track bar bolt.

Nope. That's pretty normal. The passenger side bushing presses all the way in but the driver's side normally looks just like that. I've spent a lot of time researching that thing, I thought the same thing when I was chasing mine.
Damn thats not what i was hoping youd say

Matt, just thought of something. If the DW started strictly after replacing the tie rod, make sure the jam nuts and clamping nuts at the end of the synergy tube have not come loose. Also, I assume you set toe at 1/8" toe in?

Yep. Sorry man. https://www.google.com/search?q=dyn...1280#tbm=isch&q=jeep+front+upper+axle+bushing

DW is a PITA. Can be quick and simple fix, or can cost tons. Fucking Jeeps, lol.
So maybe 3rd trys a charm...after checking everything i can think of...im back to the axle...when i jack the passenger front up, grab it a 12 & 6, i can rock it just a little, it moves slightly and i can hear it knocking just a bit as i push/pull top and bottom. As if all the lugs arent tight, but they are. Im alone so i cant watch the inside as i do it

So maybe 3rd trys a charm...after checking everything i can think of...im back to the axle...when i jack the passenger front up, grab it a 12 & 6, i can rock it just a little, it moves slightly and i can hear it knocking just a bit as i push/pull top and bottom. As if all the lugs arent tight, but they are. Im alone so i cant watch the inside as i do it

Play should be zero. There's your issue. Leave it jacked up, but use a shovel or something to pry under the tire to create the same movement. This way you can watch inside at the same time. Ball joints will move if there's something wrong with them. If not, it's a bad unit bearing. Chances are your steering stabilizer was hiding it.

Edit: make sure you're jacking up on the axle and not the frame. This keeps load on the ball joints to check them properly.

Play should be zero. There's your issue. Leave it jacked up, but use a shovel or something to pry under the tire to create the same movement. This way you can watch inside at the same time. Ball joints will move if there's something wrong with them. If not, it's a bad unit bearing. Chances are your steering stabilizer was hiding it.
Sheesh. This is rediculous. I checked them last, as theyre literally 6 weeks old and came in the new dynatrac

Sheesh. This is rediculous. I checked them last, as theyre literally 6 weeks old and came in the new dynatrac

It's very unlikely they're bad. I'm guessing hub bearing is more likely. And as well, check that ball joint stud nuts are tight obviously

What ball joints? Could be unit bearing play as well

Oem's which dynatrac said should hold up pretty good in that housing.
It's very unlikely they're bad. I'm guessing hub bearing is more likely. And as well, check that ball joint stud nuts are tight obviously
Im thinking hub...i got the wife to wiggle (insert joke) and i dont see any lateral ball joint movement.

If wheel has play and ball joints don't, it's definitely the hub bearing. If you still have it jacked up, you can pry up under the tire just to make sure ball joints are good for peace of mind. Most likely they're fine being that new. Hope that's it. DW can really suck to trace down.

If wheel has play and ball joints don't, it's definitely the hub bearing. If you still have it jacked up, you can pry up under the tire just to make sure ball joints are good for peace of mind. Most likely they're fine being that new. Hope that's it. DW can really suck to trace down.
Ha tell me about it. This is craziness

Ha tell me about it. This is craziness

May not be a bad idea to rent/buy a slide hammer to change the bearing if there's a lot of rust.
It would be really cool if your 4000th post was to say that your death wobble was fixed. :thumb:

May not be a bad idea to rent/buy a slide hammer to change the bearing if there's a lot of rust.
It would be really cool if your 4000th post was to say that your death wobble was fixed. :thumb:

That's WJCO's way of saying get lost and figure it out yourself brah....

Haha, lots of help going on here. I'm sending good vibes your way Matt, good luck with the troubleshooting.

That's WJCO's way of saying get lost and figure it out yourself brah....

Haha, lots of help going on here. I'm sending good vibes your way Matt, good luck with the troubleshooting.

Lol. I sincerely hope he gets it fixed. DW sucks donkey balls. (Donkey came up first after the word 'sucks' )

Top Bottom