MAINTENANCE: 2007-11 Jeep JK Wrangler 3.8L V6 Engine Oil Change

RCVRY

Just a couple notes:
My drain plug took a 15mm socket.
If the strap wrench slips on the filter without loosening, put a rag over the filter and then use the wrench. Kind of like using a towel to open a new jar of pickles.
Easier to reach the filter from the top, as already mentioned. I knelt on the front bumper and was able to push the wrench down with my palm. This helps save your knuckles.
Just before pulling the drain plug, move the catch pan back and hold at 45° angle. That first half quart shoots out almost 18" from the drain.
Have plenty of rags and oil dry on hand. If you spill oil on the floor you will eventually put your arm in it. ☺

Sent from my SM-G930T using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

Was just reading a thread where most of the guys have switched from 5w20 to 5w30 in their 3.8's, gonna change the oil in my wife's 2010 with 81k this weekend and wondered if this would be a good idea on someone else's jeep?
Take a look at your owners manual. There should be an ambient temperature graph. Unless you live in a desert, heavy towing, or you're starting to have low oil pressure issues, pretty much stick with 5w-20. The tolerances inside the newer engines are much tighter than in the past.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Take a look at your owners manual. There should be an ambient temperature graph. Unless you live in a desert, heavy towing, or you're starting to have low oil pressure issues, pretty much stick with 5w-20. The tolerances inside the newer engines are much tighter than in the past.

This^^^ I know for me my summers get really hot and 5-20 just gets destroyed. Switched to 5-30 for summer due to being able to take the heat better but come fall I will have 5-20 again

GraniteCrystal

This^^^ I know for me my summers get really hot and 5-20 just gets destroyed. Switched to 5-30 for summer due to being able to take the heat better but come fall I will have 5-20 again
I have 5W-20 in there. Could that be why my temps are climbing lately? How much of a difference if I switch to 5W-30?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have 5W-20 in there. Could that be why my temps are climbing lately? How much of a difference if I switch to 5W-30?

Engine oil isn't just a lubricant, it is also a cooling method. Coolant and the oil remove heat from the block. Depending on how hot it's been for you in your area, how old you oil is, and how old coolant is can all play a factor.

How many miles are on your Jeep? Still oem coolant? Last oil change?

Zstairlessone

There is enough of an increase in viscosity from 20 to 30 at operating temps to make a difference. You see ambient temperature vs. viscosity charts for million dollar engines as well as other super high $$ components for a reason

GraniteCrystal

Engine oil isn't just a lubricant, it is also a cooling method. Coolant and the oil remove heat from the block. Depending on how hot it's been for you in your area, how old you oil is, and how old coolant is can all play a factor.

How many miles are on your Jeep? Still oem coolant? Last oil change?
51k miles
Coolant is OEM but I top it off from time to time
Last oil change 1k miles ago

PT1400

51k miles
Coolant is OEM but I top it off from time to time
Last oil change 1k miles ago
Temp gun is the key here. Engine oil coming out of traffic in Denver (looked at your profile, I'm not stalking you I swear) should be under 200*f. 220*f is a max. 240*f is kaboom. Just temp the oil pan and see where you're at. Also, with you being where you live, don't confuse heat and humidity.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for this informative post.

One question - how much should the new filter be tightened?

Thanks!
Not too tight. Just 18 ft lbs. You'd be better off using an inch pound torque wrench to do this. I typically just tighten until snug.

Top Bottom