Looking for suggestions on CB's

cczee

I am starting my search for a good CB to use on and off the trail. All suggestions and and advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

I have been very happy with the functionality of my Uniden Pro520XL. Very inexpensive, and I like that it has both rf gain and squelch as I can adjust out noise.
However, all CBs only legally output 4watts. So most are going to be pretty similar. I can hear and talk effectively for two miles in the mountains here in New England. The main thing you want to focus on is your setup. Quality antenna, quality coax (rg8x imo), proper grounding, and tune your SWR. You could buy the top of the line CB and it won't be worth a damn if you don't set it up right.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Everyone is going to have a different opinion but I LOVE my Cobra 75wxst. I didn't like having a huge CB mounted in the Jeep. The 75 is sleek, and when hung from a gearkeeper, it's out of the way yet still functional.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Cobra 29 lx bt

I love my Cobra 29 LX BT, but grounding is very important and right antenna. I had to run grounding straps from the tailgate to the tube to the frame. Now my SWR IS 1.1 0N 40 AND 1.2 on Channel 1.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 314

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I love my Cobra 29 LX BT, but grounding is very important and right antenna. I had to run grounding straps from the tailgate to the tube to the frame. Now my SWR IS 1.1 0N 40 AND 1.2 on Channel 1.

That is very true. I would spend more on a good antenna/antenna mount, and less on a radio if price is a factor. A better antenna will yield much higher positive results rather than a more expensive radio.

cbmatt66

I'm using the Midland 75-822 Portable/Mobile CB Radio. I like that it doesn't take up much space and I can lock it in the center console when not in use.

WJCO

Meme King
Its funny that they claim 10 meter coverage. 10 Meter is 28.000 MHz – 29.700 MHz, 12 meter is 24.890 MHz – 24.990 MHz, and CB is 26.9650 MHz to 27.4050 MHz . So CB should be considered 11 meter, if anything.

844.jpg ........

Andy5160

Hooked

I have the same one and it works great. The antenna is one of the most important components as well and it has to be grounded really good.

Frydaddy

There has been a long misunderstanding between Citizen Band operators and the FCC. That Amazon seller is trying to bank on this misunderstanding.

The CB band is limited to only 4 Watts transmit power by law, resulting in even less effective power when using inefficient cabling and antennas, ubiquitous in the CB market. Some people would illegally amplify their radios into thousands of watts, (I can still hear the east coast from here on good days). A better method is to use a 10 meter Ham radio and modify it to be able to tune into the CB frequencies, also really illegal (This lets them transmit at illegal powers as well). So there is quite an active grey market for modified 10 meter radios.

Looking at that radios specs, its a standard CB radio, pretty good one as 2011JK says. The mention of 10 meter was just a marketing thing that ANYTONE is attempting.

2011jk

The Anytone, once bought you "hack" it takes 10 sec un-shouldering a bridge. Instructions and reviews are all over YouTube.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
You're looking for a CB and you've gotten several good suggestions. Do you already have an antenna and a mount? If not I would suggest a Firestick and decide on its length and the mount type needed after deciding where you want to install the antenna. That may sound like a no brainer, but I have changed my mount twice because of the the number of time my original firestick got hit by tree limbs, etc. while on the trail. Even with a compensating antenna spring (between the antenna and mount) it's still not comforting when a fiberglass antenna smacks back into your top.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

enfielded0405

Just bought and about to install a Cobra 75wxst. I plan to run and external speaker in the sound bar padding above my head. I picked it as my jeep is my DD and I liked the fact it was totally out of the way unless I needed it.

As Eddie said I read a lot on issues with volume. Most reviews said it was marginal for the hand set and ok with external speaker. Only time will tell once I have it hooked up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom