Looking for suggestions on CB's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be quite honest I'm surprised more people aren't switching to VHF/UHF over CB. It's such a better form of communication with more range and acces to emergency services. I guess the only downside is the cost as they are typically double or more the price of a decent CB.

I have both and while the race radios do come in clear and have a greater range, I still prefer a CB. As mentioned, they are more affordable, most people have them, so long as they're dialed in, they work great for most runs and they don't have the annoying static blasts that a lot of race radios tend have. Also, it could just be me but I find it hard to find an open channel that everyone can use on a race radio and that isn't being used by law enforcement or every other Jeeper or side-by-side group.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have both and while the race radios do come in clear and have a greater range, I still prefer a CB. As mentioned, they are more affordable, most people have them, so long as they're dialed in, they work great for most runs and they don't have the annoying static blasts that a lot of race radios tend have. Also, it could just be me but I find it hard to find an open channel that everyone can use on a race radio and that isn't being used by law enforcement or every other Jeeper or side-by-side group.

huh... that's interesting... I seem to have that exact problem with the CB though... often times when on a run our group will need to change channels 3-5x/day just to maintain a clean and clear channel. I was hoping the UHF/VHF would FIX this issue. this is a little disappointing to read

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
huh... that's interesting... I seem to have that exact problem with the CB though... often times when on a run our group will need to change channels 3-5x/day just to maintain a clean and clear channel. I was hoping to the UHF/VHF would FIX this issue. this is a little disappointing to read

Well, you "can" have a clean clear channel but only IF everyone in your group has the same dedicated frequency. We chase for EVO and have a host of frequencies they use and that works out great but when we go on trail runs, most people don't have what we have and so we have to rely on weatherman - a channel EVERYONE and their mother uses. Sure, you can pay a lot more and have a unit that you can program frequencies into but then, that's not as easy as just changing a channel.

Sahara_Maverick

Folks considering HAM radio keep in mind that the VHF/UHF also require line of sight, hence many repeaters maintained by HAM clubs.
So, if you will go to places with mountains or other barriers on the way that may also restrict your comms.
There's always the HF bands where you can use NVIS and get over mountains or out of valleys but those are not as easy to setup as the simple antennas for the other types or CB.
The license is easy to get and there are three types with Technician the basic and Extra the top one. I'm currently in the middle as General and plan going to Extra soon.
The radios are more expensive but the latest generations even allow connecting to the Internet (you would need wi-fi or a cellphone service) and also using phone apps and controlling the radio via bluetooth to the cellphone and sending/receiving data such as photos. Very cool stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Well, you "can" have a clean clear channel but only IF everyone in your group has the same dedicated frequency. We chase for EVO and have a host of frequencies they use and that works out great but when we go on trail runs, most people don't have what we have and so we have to rely on weatherman - a channel EVERYONE and their mother uses. Sure, you can pay a lot more and have a unit that you can program frequencies into but then, that's not as easy as just changing a channel.

ah! that makes Much more sense. Thanks for clarifying. :thumb: If I end up getting a UHF/VHF radio, I will likely go with the more expensive "full size" setup as my CB is already a hand held model, and I don't think I could handle 2 radios bouncing around in the jeep at once. lol

sjd78

There are over 60 frequencies licensed to off road organizations that I know of. Probably more. I haven't ever experienced or heard of an issue with finding a frequency that is chatter free until now. Also most race radios can be programmed and some come with dozens of channels already programmed in. Or if someone in the group doesn't have a particular frequency programmed in that everyone is using, they should be able to just dial in that frequency.

Last edited:

sjd78

:cheesy: Good one. :crazyeyes: False, but I got a kick out of it none the less

perhaps you should reread what you preach? :thumb:

Oops you are correct, I was wrong. I mistakenly thought it was all links but that is not the case after rereading the rules. Thanks for the correction.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There are over 60 frequencies licensed to off road organizations that I know of. Probably more.

News to me but then, I'm not a part of any off road organization.

I haven't ever experienced or heard of an issue with finding a frequency that is chatter free until now. Many times we won't even hear anyone else other then in our group the entire trip. Also most race radios can be programmed and some come with dozens of channels already programmed in. Or if someone in the group doesn't have a particular frequency programmed in that everyone is using, they should be able to just dial in that frequency.

The channels that already come programmed in are the ones that have chatter. Most of the affordable handheld units or at least the ones I've seen and used don't have the means to dial in a frequency and even the ones that can be dialed in, turning a knob to change the channel is still a hell of a lot faster and easier. Of course, that's just me. This is not to say that race radios don't have their place and again, I do own several of them. I just find that for most circumstances, a CB radio works great and at least for now, most people have them.

Tincup

So far, I've been the happiest with my old Cobra 29 I have in Moby. I'm currently running the newer LX in Rubicat and love the way it looks so much more modern but for some reason, I've found that if I leave it plugged in, it'll drain my battery if I leave it sitting for a week or so, this even if it's off. Also, I've seen where the plastic knobs can break easily, especially the big center one.

On your cobra 29 LX do you unplug it when you know your not using it. I only ask because I have the same radio and haven't noticed a decrease in the battery and that could also be because it's my DD. But I will now keep a closer eye out on it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On your cobra 29 LX do you unplug it when you know your not using it. I only ask because I have the same radio and haven't noticed a decrease in the battery and that could also be because it's my DD. But I will now keep a closer eye out on it.

Yes. I leave the power disconnected unless I'm on a run.

Frydaddy

Or wire it to a switched power source

~WINGNUT~

I use a 148 Cobra, with 200 amp boost , it been tuned , keyed . and I'm very happy.. I can also use it a a home base witch has a 300 amp boost..
Fire Stick on top of Rack, and umbrella set up at home . .

2011jk

Best to wire direct to the battery....at least according to all the CB sites. Thats the way I have mine.

Top Bottom