Let's talk "Stingers".

Big Bad Wolf

I notice most manufactures don't offer high stingers (far over the hood).

Those of you that wheel and experince narly ledges, slopes etc. Do you feel a tall stinger could prevent an endo or further damage during a role over ? I'm not refering to physical appearance but the safety aspect.

For myself a large stinger feels appropriate, but want to hear what others think.

Poison Spyder offers their "Comp Stinger" but I don't see many other tall options.

hhunter050

The "stinger" part of a bumper is to save your engine in a role over. It could also stop you from going end over end and just flop you on your side. That's what I've always thought

Big Bad Wolf

The "stinger" part of a bumper is to save your engine in a role over. It could also stop you from going end over end and just flop you on your side. That's what I've always thought

Yes, I would agree. I'm just wondering why the larger ones are not more popular for the hardcore trail guys.

madstiles

Hell you learn something new every day. I thought it was to knock brush out of the way of course I don't have one so I'm clueless haha

Napalm

I thought it was so people didn't cut you off while driving to the mall?

I've been using mine for all the wrong reasons....... :)

mastrcruse

I've been trying to find ones that are designed correctly which are over the hood and at a certain angle for potential endo. The two I'm down to are LODs and Evo's. There are others that have comp stingers that are so obnoxious. The LOD and Evo seem to be good, happy mediums.

Big Bad Wolf

The Mad Max movies are great haha.

I find the EVO a little short for what I was looking for. I also liked the concept of pulling the bumper back on the frame.

The reason I wanted a high one was to up the safety factor with endos and to stop tall moose from flying up into my windshield. Motor vehicle deaths are very common here in relation to wildlife. Saving my radiator would also be nice in a role but putting a cage in to save myself would be priority in that scenario.

JCR make interesting looking bumpers too.

I notice most manufactures don't offer high stingers (far over the hood).

Those of you that wheel and experince narly ledges, slopes etc. Do you feel a tall stinger could prevent an endo or further damage during a role over ? I'm not refering to physical appearance but the safety aspect.

For myself a large stinger feels appropriate, but want to hear what others think.

Poison Spyder offers their "Comp Stinger" but I don't see many other tall options.

Something like this large? I think they look ridiculous if they are over the hood. Just my opinion...but I probably don't wheel hard enough over at the mall to ever need it :D

stinger.jpg

The Mad Max movies are great haha.

I find the EVO a little short for what I was looking for. I also liked the concept of pulling the bumper back on the frame.

The reason I wanted a high one was to up the safety factor with endos and to stop tall moose from flying up into my windshield. Motor vehicle deaths are very common here in relation to wildlife. Saving my radiator would also be nice in a role but putting a cage in to save myself would be priority in that scenario.

JCR make interesting looking bumpers too.

If you hit a moose at full speed, nothing it going to help...except maybe a big cattle-guard style bumper. I think the Endo / Rollover protection is one thing, and moose protection is another.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
The only real reason I know of to NEED one is if you're planning on turtling your Jeep :crazyeyes: it will save your radiator by taking the weight off the hood. Then again, if that's the case you may as well get a full external cage.

overkill.jpg

Some people just like the look, but it's not really my thing. And I do NOT plan on rolling my rig :eek:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
The only real reason I know of to NEED one is if you're planning on turtling your Jeep :crazyeyes: it will save your radiator by taking the weight off the hood. Then again, if that's the case you may as well get a full external cage.

View attachment 222551

Some people just like the look, but it's not really my thing. And I do NOT plan on rolling my rig :eek:

When I see this it reminds me of people who wear knee pads and shin guards when they mountain bike. If they were going fast, that is one thing, but when I pass them, that's another. If you are that afraid of it, then don't do it. I laugh at shit like the photo above. Glad that is not your rig.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
When I see this it reminds me of people who wear knee pads and shin guards when they mountain bike. If they were going fast, that is one thing, but when I pass them, that's another. If you are that afraid of it, then don't do it. I laugh at shit like the photo above. Glad that is not your rig.

What really makes me laugh though is that the rear passenger corner is dented anyway :cheesy:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I think this is more what the OP is referring to:
stinger.jpg

...really it looks like the tree saved him just as much as the stinger.

Grubbicon

Let's talk "Stingers".

Personally im a lover in stingers. I have a Poison Spyder BFH Comp Stinger on my JK and havent really "used" it other then dragging coming back off in a short deep dip. However on my Juggy flipped and landed on the roof. I completely smashed the hood and the one side of the grille. The stinger however did save the radiator like it was supposed to. It is twisted up pretty bad but gussets held. I may rebuild it one day but as of right now it tells the story.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473783037.592157.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473783088.499616.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473783109.454254.jpg

Big Bad Wolf

Thanks for sharing Grubbicon!

Lol ok, forget the moose Idea.. It's main purpose is wheeling as this will be for a trail rig.

Besides the stinger there is also the subject of bumpers that mount further back on the frame. Some people don't want to cut the chassis but I don't mind. Pros and cons ?

- Once you cut you can't go back without welding.
- Possible winch fitment issues although I have heard of none.
- Limited to one bumper for ever.

Vs

- Possible better approach angles.
- Less tire rub with large tires.

Anything else ?

Lol ok, forget the moose Idea.. It's main purpose is wheeling as this will be for a trail rig.

No problem...besides, I hear if you yank the e-brake and spin the jeep you can just scoop up the moose...

moosejeep.jpg

Seriously though...I really hate the idea of cutting a frame for a bumper. Lift, tire size, and bumper angle would be my first attack before chopping the frame. My best advice...get some pvc pipe and string and mock up what you need, and what height and angles are needed to protect the hood and keep from doing a frontwards flop...without going so big it gets in the way.

Then get some 1 3/4" DOM cage tubing, some 1/4" plate, and make it the way you want it.

Top Bottom