KP's JKUR Build

Preparing to deal with ARB Parts

Ok, I feel waaaaay better not having a clue what the hell CRC Dry Glide is. After scouring the internets, I've found out that CRC Dry Glide is a dry film lubricating treatment that reduces friction made by an Australian company sold in Australia only. Not even readily available on the web. I'll be using some graphite lubricant for this application as I think this is the closest thing we have that's in the states. Graphite lube is used in air compressors, food industry, railway track joints, open gear, ball bearings, machine-shop works etc. Such materials can operate up to 350°C/662°F. (Thank you wiki!) If my tire carrier is operating at those temps, I've got bigger problems!

Bearing grease is fairly common and I've learned that GE II Clear Window and Door Caulk is a neutral cure silicone. All the other tools, I should have on hand... I hope.

Drilling, cutting, & trimming deff required... But it's on dammit! Tomorrow, I tackle the tire carrier.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371267871.655093.jpg

ARB offers minimal help and no pix here, but I believe this is what the assembled tailgate bracket is supposed to look like for the JK.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371382933.462559.jpg

Tailgate arm & stop assembly in place. This is a handy picture to have for anyone installing in the future.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1371391273.370463.jpg

Sweet! Just another reason I won't be buying from ARB. Sure I don't always use the directions provided to me but if it's something super confusing like a rear tire carrier I'd prefer one. Looks good though! I just took my stock rear bumper off just cause it looks better without it and next month I'll be getting Smittybilt fender flares so it'll all be slimmer if that makes sense...I've slowly been cutting the fat off of Lee-Roy hahahaha

KP- Damn, that thing looks substantial!! I'm liking it, very nice job. I expect it will give you many years of service!

Kenny-G - Watch yourself with the Smittybuilt products, recently installed a rear Smittybuilt bumper on my GF's LJ and after we exchanged the first one cause the bumper mounts weren't welded on straight, the second one still had substantial gaps between the tabs and the frame. Got it bolted up after much swearing, but can't say I will be buying anything else from them.

^ I hear bad things about their bumpers but I'm only getting their fenders which are pretty hard to fuck up IMO haha but thanks for the warning.

^ I hear bad things about their bumpers but I'm only getting their fenders which are pretty hard to fuck up IMO haha but thanks for the warning.

My buddy had same problem with smitty built so I went with rugged ridge and couldn't be happier everything lined up great

Sent from my JK

ARB Tire Carrier/Bumper Thoughts

After installing my bumper and tire carrier over the course of this past weekend, I'm pretty confident that ARB doesn't even read their own instructions before sending them out nor do they have any sort of quality control before they seal up the parts bags as evidence by missing parts on this kit and plenty of irrelevant spare pieces from other ARB kits. I've been turning a wrench on over a dozen of my own vehicles for the better part of 20 years and have worked with automotive products from over 40 aftermarket parts manufacturers including Rubicon Express, TeraFlex, & Olympic 4x4, to name a few and I have never seen a write up for an install quite this bad.

I'm not blasting ARB for everything they make as they do make some good products. For example, my compressor is fantastic and I think my front bumper is a great piece too. But the love doesn't continue to my tire carrier/rear bumper. I don't wish the headache that was this install on any of my friends. I won't drone on about it but If you have decided to install ARB part 5650350 and/or ARB part 5750300 feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help fill in any gaps to speed your install along since I've been through it.

ARB Tire Carrier/Bumper Update!

Just got off the phone with my parts guy. As it turns out, my ARB kit was missing more than a few parts. Not just the usual nuts/bolts that I can pick up down the street, but the kit is supposed to come with 2 turnbuckles to hold the tire in place with no squeaking, another support arm, a new updated tailgate bracket, and a few grommets. The missing parts are being mailed out today, so I'm crossing my fingers for a Monday night install. With this fix, I'm hoping my carrier will be ready to roll (& not rattle!) for RC next weekend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom