JK factory Alarm worthless

Brankz

Noooooo dam man sorry for your jeep!.
Shit I feel like crap when this happen to me
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421299642.585546.jpg
Can't imagine if some one brakes in to my jeep

Sucks that your Jeep was broken into and it was violated but the reality is alarms do not deter thieves because people do pay attention to them.

R/
Will

Rubicon Hard Rock

That sucks about the break in. A few years back I worked for Southwest Dealer Services in Carlsbad. They install a majority of alarms at the dealer level in the SoCal area. They make a good quality alarm. They always put a KARR sticker on the side glass, maybe you guys have come across them. Might be worth giving them a call. They cost a bunch at the dealer level but are much cheaper if you can buy direct.

Sucks that your Jeep was broken into and it was violated but the reality is alarms do not deter thieves because people do pay attention to them.

R/
Will

^^^ This.

I had an alarm in a truck I had years ago. It was broken into three times. The only person the alarm affected was me. The best technique is to not leave things in the vehicle.... and for audiophiles, (I'm sorry) but leave the stock radio in.

Sorry this happened to you...

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks all, I'm finding the JK is pretty easy to break into.

More incentive to get my garage cleaned out but I know thieves will be thieves.

Mikead40

Thanks all, I'm finding the JK is pretty easy to break into.

More incentive to get my garage cleaned out but I know thieves will be thieves.

Damn man - that sucks.

I may be about to state something that everyone with a JK knows...so I certainly don't want to insult anyone's intelligence, but I recently found out that the way that most people lock their car (close the door then press the lock button on the key fob) does NOT activate the factory alarm in a JK. I spent the last 2 years doing this and thinking I was activating my alarm when in fact I was not.

To activate the alarm you have to press the lock button on the key fob and THEN close the door. After the door has been closed for 10 seconds, the alarm activates.

Last weekend, I had my alarm on in my Jeep and was underneath it (in the dark) adjusting the draglink...either me moving the jeep as a whole or the steering wheel moving was enough to set off the alarm. (As a side note, being that I was under the front end when the horn suddenly started goin off I about shit my pants).

Anyway, sorry if this is a widely known thing and I'm being Captain Obvious right now, but I figured I'd post in case there's anyone out there like me that didn't know this.

:beer:

Edit: I have a '13 - I'm assuming it's the same for other year JKs, but I'm not 100% positive

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Damn man - that sucks.

I may be about to state something that everyone with a JK knows...so I certainly don't want to insult anyone's intelligence, but I recently found out that the way that most people lock their car (close the door then press the lock button on the key fob) does NOT activate the factory alarm in a JK. I spent the last 2 years doing this and thinking I was activating my alarm when in fact I was not.

To activate the alarm you have to press the lock button on the key fob and THEN close the door. After the door has been closed for 10 seconds, the alarm activates.

Last weekend, I had my alarm on in my Jeep and was underneath it (in the dark) adjusting the draglink...either me moving the jeep as a whole or the steering wheel moving was enough to set off the alarm. (As a side note, being that I was under the front end when the horn suddenly started goin off I about shit my pants).

Anyway, sorry if this is a widely known thing and I'm being Captain Obvious right now, but I figured I'd post in case there's anyone out there like me that didn't know this.

Edit: I have a '13 - I'm assuming it's the same for other year JKs, but I'm not 100% positive

hmmm going to test this out. I have a push switch under the hood that I thought was for the alarm but it has never worked and I haven't ever figured out what else it might be for.

JaySC

Damn man - that sucks.

You just gave me a great idea on how to prank the wife!

Manvan

Remote start uses a hood switch and I read a write up about placing an alarm sensor in the lid to the center console. They sacrificed the feed to the tailgate but it would pick up any motion inside the cab.

rich67

Caught the Bug
I run with my doors off a lot, so I don't ever put any custom stuff in my Jeep. Stock head unit, no extra stuff, etc. The most valuable thing in it are the slush mats..lol. Thieves suck, and sorry you have to deal with that crap.

Kaylinator

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I've been looking into an alarm and see that the question wasn't really well answered in this thread.
The DEI 3903T is an aftermarket alarm designed to work with your factory Jeep key.* It adds basic alarm features such as a shock sensor, starter kill relay and it also comes with a standard outboard 6 tone siren.* The 508D proximity alarm also comes highly recommended.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dusty

Subscribed and following to see what options are out there that don't wreak havoc with the factory fob.

jeeeep

Hooked
it depends on which factory alarm system you have whether all the features are available.

Mine didn't have any shock sensor so I went with Viper to get the glass sensor.

I also discovered and corrected that the hood pin was wired in reverse from the facotry - the alarm would go off after closing the hood instead of when opened allowing plenty of time to steel anything from under the hood :doh:

only thing I don't like about the viper is the key fob failed pretty quick. I use my jeep key but the viper fob was handy for some of the other features most notably the ability to get notified if the alarm was triggered and you weren't within sound range.

Also, with the viper there is no option to dim the LED and it seems to draw from the battery quite a bit if left sitting for several days without starting, but it works and works well.

I lifted the front of the Jeep without unlocking it and it did set the alarm off - that'll wake you up being that close to it!

DEI 3903T has an chart where it'll show you what options are available based on the model year

ChiliDawg

Gonna catch a lot of rolleyes, but I always tell people not to lock their vehicles. I just don't keep anything in them, so if someone does want to break in, at least they won't cause damage. This goes quadruple for anyone with a soft-top. Not locking your doors will save your $2000 top.

I almost never lock mine, and I never leave anything valuable in it. I've always subscribed to the line of thinking that if you drive a Jeep, anyone dishonest can get into it if so inclined. Might as well save your windows and top.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ChiliDawg

I seen a lot of these threads recently. Are JKs really that easy to break into?Im surprise The JK didn't come with motion sensors.

Wonder if insurance will cover the break in if the doors are off.

Jeeps have always been notoriously easy to break into as long as they've been around and thieves target them. Soft top Jeeps are more vulnerable but it doesn't take that long to get into one with a hard top either. And like the guy above said - an alarm isn't much good when the thieves can steal your shit in sixty seconds and be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom