JK factory Alarm worthless

jeeeep

Hooked
Thieves broke into my JKU and stole several items. They pried out the rear driver side passenger window - alarm did not go off!
Guess it only works if the door gets opened :mad:
next investment is a real alarm with motion and glass sensors

20150114_141453.jpg
20150114_141512.jpg

Last edited:

SFNick

Dang! Sorry to here this. I just had my jeep broken into as well. Bought a Tuffy console & box but I think a proximity alarm is my next buy.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Sorry to hear. That really sucks. I have had it happen a few times. Once in my fire station parking lot while i was on a call. Never so far on my jeep those.

jeeeep

Hooked
yeah insurance is taking care of all of it but sucks alarm didn't go off. I didn't realize that rear window could be taken out so easily I found it laying on the ground pretty much in one piece.

ClarksAdventures

I'm sorry to hear that man. I always have that worry as well. If anybody has suggestions on an awesome alarm. Maybe even something that works with the current keyless entry system, is be down for learning about it.

Sithwindu

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421285129.179789.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421285153.085045.jpg

Factory alarms arnt worth a fuck, I share your pain, anyone got any suggestions on alarms? Trouble free ones too?

Kalums

So I Park my JKU in a "secure" lot about 30-40 yards from the from my dispatch hub..... 3 days after I bought it in August one of my fellow co-workers found a guy rummaging through the back, it only had fruit snacks and some other snack items. Guy got arrested for misdemeanor theft, the very NEXT DAY one of my other Co workers found another homeless guy SLEEPING in the back of my JKU went that day, had the factory alarm ripped out and got a clifford alarm with proximity, shock and window sensors. It came with a ridiculously loud siren and so far all is well.
As a side note if you are looking at a Viper alarm (which is supposed to be the best on the market from what I've heard) skip it and buy a Clifford alarm, same piece of equipment same manufacturer just 1/2 to 2/3 the price. Just me 2 cents

Kalums

Iv heard a lot of horror stories of viper and similar alarms locking up the vehicle and killing the ecu

I've had them on my 08 jk and now my 2013 JKU *SHRUGS* no problems so far. As long as you get it done by a reputable company.... They should cover it if something does happen.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Gonna catch a lot of rolleyes, but I always tell people not to lock their vehicles. I just don't keep anything in them, so if someone does want to break in, at least they won't cause damage. This goes quadruple for anyone with a soft-top. Not locking your doors will save your $2000 top.

toxicwaste29

I wonder what they plan on doing with the factory radio since they lock themselves when disconnected. That sucks though same thing happened to me except somehow the door was opened and the alarm never went off (I always lock my jeep) they tired stealing my infinity sub however they gave up when they cracked the plastic housing and noticed it would take to much work.

Kalums

Gonna catch a lot of rolleyes, but I always tell people not to lock their vehicles. I just don't keep anything in them, so if someone does want to break in, at least they won't cause damage. This goes quadruple for anyone with a soft-top. Not locking your doors will save your $2000 top.

I half agree, I never leave anything worth stealing in my jeep or at least visible.... However depending on your insurance company, if they find out you didn't lock the doors... They might deny your claim. Due diligence and all that. Besides a tweaker won't care if the doors are locked or not they are getting that(...... Fill in the blank) no matter what...

el_chupo_

looks like an aftermarket radio trim ring...

Sorry it happened OP, it does suck when it happens. For me, I dont think an aftermarket alarm will be worth it, but let me explain with 2 experiences.

In my Tacoma, I was parked at work. 2 buildings, about 1500 employees at this location, with a full time security staff, including one that is "patrolling" the lot in a golf cart.

I was parked in the back, no cars around me. About 11:45 I get a note from security to meet the cops at my truck. I get out there, my alarm is still going off. Turns out that a couple guys coming back from lunch drove by and saw a guy at my truck, and the alarm was going off. They pulled around the row, and guy was getting out of the truck. They made the decision not to intervene (I support). So in less than a minute he had broken in, taken out my double din radio, and rummaged through my center console. He found my handgun, and was gone. Middle of the day, with people driving by. A paging alarm that went off inside would not have made a difference. Maybe a louder alarm, but probably not.

Of note, in the Tacoma I had another $3k or so in processor/amps/speakers/subs, in a full custom install that looked stock, dude never looked or cared (or didnt have time). It really was just a crime of "convenience" for the guy. And even if the guy hadnt found the gun, I dont think anything in there was worth any chance of risk to others, so I am 100% behind them calling it in and giving a description. And cop was super chill about me digging through my truck hoping to find the gun.

Second story, I parked at an Academy (back of the lot again), and grabbed my cell phone and hopped out. A car drove by, pulled up next to a truck about 50ft away. I look down at my phone to read a text, look back up and he was in the truck ripping out the radio (this had just happened to me, so I recognized his actions). I look down at my (already unlocked) iphone, put it on camera mode and he is in his car. I get pics of the car and plates, and called the cops. Hung around to give them the info, and break the news to the owner (employee). In and out in less than 30 seconds (chevy 1500 truck)

I am going to lock the jeep, but I wont ever have anything important in there that isnt locked up. Good insurance and a low deductible (but FYI - they wont cover a handgun...) and I will deal with a new radio if and when it happens again.

DangerDan

I seen a lot of these threads recently. Are JKs really that easy to break into?Im surprise The JK didn't come with motion sensors.

Wonder if insurance will cover the break in if the doors are off.

Kalums

I seen a lot of these threads recently. Are JKs really that easy to break into?Im surprise The JK didn't come with motion sensors.

Wonder if insurance will cover the break in if the doors are off.

Now that's a good question.....

CerOf

I read a write up somewhere for installing a proximity sensor with factory alarm. Not sure where but Google it and I'm sure you'll find it.

Top Bottom