Jeep Troubles JL

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, just wanted to get other people's opinions on how I could get my Jeep to ride smoother and closer to factory built.

I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with modifications:

4" zone lift kit
35" BF Goodrich TA
Teraflex spacer 0.5"
Fox Steering stabilizer

Once I did all these modifications, my ride quality just got worse and feels too tough to ride on. I got too much sway when I turn, and its just too uncomfortable to drive.

For 35s or 37s I'd be running 2.5 or 3 at the most. While I was waiting for coilovers and axles my Jeep was running a 2.5" spacer lift. Rode similar to stock and performed well off road.
20220113_194247.jpg

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
I have a 3.5" TeraFlex Alpine Long Arm and it rides great - with Falcon 2.0 shocks.

I do not really notice much difference over the stock ride - I did test it on the freeway at 90mph on 37s and was really impressed how it handled and rode -

I know this is not a Teraflex site - but let be honest - they make a quality product. I had their lift on my JK as well.

View attachment 388747

I see people get hung up on that rear control arm bracket all the time. I don't get why they don't move it up like evo and others have done.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
Also thinking of getting:

Adjustable control arms
Front/Rear track bars
Steering tie rod/drag link/steering stabilizer
Control arm drop brackets

hopefully this will fix some geometry due to the lift which made it un drivable🤣

If you drop the lift height to something reasonable for that tire size you won't need any of that.

AZDIESELPIG

I see people get hung up on that rear control arm bracket all the time. I don't get why they don't move it up like evo and others have done.
I don't recall ever being hung up on the rear control arm brackets on my JK - not sure if the design is the same on the long arm now vs Teraflex long arm circa 2013.

I didn't seem to have an issue on the JL with the control arm brackets - approach angle with the stock bumper was an issue however LOL.

I have only hit Lower and upper Ajax in Florence Az with the JL but there are some additional trails I want to do once I have my rock sliders delivered from Artec Industries ( gotta support those Southern Az startups...now in Utah I guess). The stock sliders seem to like to trap rocks between the slider and the body which is bad....leaves marks!

I did look at EVO and others. I think I just stuck with what I knew and was familiar with and it works for me in the past.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
I don't recall ever being hung up on the rear control arm brackets on my JK - not sure if the design is the same on the long arm now vs Teraflex long arm circa 2013.

I didn't seem to have an issue on the JL with the control arm brackets - approach angle with the stock bumper was an issue however LOL.

I have only hit Lower and upper Ajax in Florence Az with the JL but there are some additional trails I want to do once I have my rock sliders delivered from Artec Industries ( gotta support those Southern Az startups...now in Utah I guess). The stock sliders seem to like to trap rocks between the slider and the body which is bad....leaves marks!

I did look at EVO and others. I think I just stuck with what I knew and was familiar with and it works for me in the past.

I think it's definitely a terrain specific problem. It's always the ledges here in UT, especially undercut ones that snag.

Get rid of the stock sliders asap. I bent my passenger side slider enough that it put a nice crease in my lower door.

jezreelb

If you move to a 2-2.5" lift you shouldn't need any of those other parts.

Judging from this list, it would be cheaper to change out the lift and get something like the Synergy or Rancho 2" starter lift if you still have the factory shocks - the Rancho kit includes shocks

check this out:

How about a Teraflex lift kit?

jezreelb

1. I always hear that you should re-center your axles once the lift is added. Is that really needed?

2. Should control arms be parallel to the ground once lift is added?

3. Should I be worried about caster and pinion angle once I lift my Jeep?

jeeeep

Hooked
How about a Teraflex lift kit?
I've owned TF parts, they have great marketing and upfront sales support but in my experiences with TF, their support after the sale sucks donkey dicks. Their parts are hit and miss, I've had some that worked and lasted, others that must have been made in some remote part of China with the cheapest materials that didn't last. Can't speak to their more recent products but it's your money, buy what you feel fits your needs.

I would ask if their coil/shock combo are close to stock or made to support the addition of heavier bumpers, larger tires etc...
Some coils require the extra weight to get the stock ride feel.

On the flip side, if you plan to add heavier bumpers, winch skid plates etc.. you don't want soft coils or you'll lose the gains of the lift.

Jeeper99

What else would you upgrade once a lift kit is installed?
With a 4" lift, you're on the cut where a draglink flip and trackbar relocation can be beneficial. When you hit a bump with the trackbar and draglink at a steeper angle than stock, the effects are bump steer and side movement of the vehicle when the right tire is deflected by a bump. Also, control arm relocation will help with the ride. Your shocks and springs will also contribute to the ride quality big time. While I've read on forums that ProComp springs have a soft ride, I have no firsthand experience with them. But they don't have a reputation for great products. Mostly rebranded products IMO.

Last edited:

jezreelb

With a 4" lift, you're on the cut where a draglink flip and trackbar relocation can be beneficial. When you hit a bump with the trackbar and draglink at a steeper angle than stock, the effects are bump steer and side movement of the vehicle when the right tire is deflected by a bump. Also, control arm relocation will help with the ride. Your shocks and springs will also contribute to the ride quality big time. While I've read on forums that ProComp springs have a soft ride, I have no firsthand experience with them. But they don't have a reputation for great products. Mostly rebranded products IMO.
Track bar relocation bracket?

CalSgt

Hooked
Adjustable track bar = center the axle under the Jeep after lifting

track bar relocation = moving the axle end track bar mount higher, this only works with a flipped drag link mount at the knuckle. Also only works with 3.5 “ or more lift (IIRC).

Top Bottom