In The Shop - Disciple Off Road

After seeing my previous posts about the American Iron Ball Joint Deletes, I had a customer send me these pictures of his that he had just installed.

He confirmed he torqued to their specs and came out the following morning to find the nut on the ground hence the rust from the rain. Thankfully this happened while still on jack stands and not driving down the road.

A3026F1A-7CC1-4B58-A060-09172F780E59.jpeg
29B7B435-C787-4027-982C-AF3040651D2B.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After seeing my previous posts about the American Iron Ball Joint Deletes, I had a customer send me these pictures of his that he had just installed.

He confirmed he torqued to their specs and came out the following morning to find the nut on the ground hence the rust from the rain. Thankfully this happened while still on jack stands and not driving down the road.

View attachment 386161
View attachment 386162
What in the actual... :oops::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, no thanks!

JT@623

Hooked

View attachment 386161
View attachment 386162
Maybe that’s what they mean by delete like disappearing

duktrx

The EVO JL/JT rock skins with the adhesive is pretty sweet. They come with the option of using nutserts but if you don’t want to drill or have anything permanent, the adhesive seems to work good and does not move once it’s on. I think it also gives a clean look and come in raw aluminum or already powder coated from EVO. What do you think?

View attachment 386127
View attachment 386128
View attachment 386129
My first impulse was I loved the idea of not drilling into a rust-prone area, but then I thought about how much grime and grit would find its way behind the panel, sanding to bare metal over time. I understand this is still of concern with the nutsert option too, but it is easier to provide countermeasures and repairs.

That and my truck had something similar when I bought it, and over time my boot kept snagging it, and it pulled off. While I was not the one to install them, I do have confidence they were installed correctly as part of the conversion/upgrade process Centurian did straight from the factory.

I think that the part must have been damaged during the FedEx shipment. Fragile parts need to be packed really well!

waynem

I would be willing to throw them on with the LoD sliders. Since I’m not wheeling as much as I once was these would be a nice addition to protect the rockers without drilling something permanent
Decided to give it a try. Thanks to Jeremy for hooking up with a set of the EVO rock skins!

Couple things to note. The 3M tape is very strong but it's not a nutsert. I didn't notice that one bolt on the rock sliders was touching the rock skins. Next morning the pressure of the bolt had twisted the rock skins and popped the upper edge off. Barely took any pressure to push it back against the body but it would just keep popping off. Ultimately, I had to shim out the sliders to make up the difference in thickness of the rock skins, Nothing like redoing your work!

IMG_0569.jpeg

But, I'm happy with the look, we'll see how it holds up once I can get back on the trails.

IMG_0576.jpeg

Decided to give it a try. Thanks to Jeremy for hooking up with a set of the EVO rock skins!

Couple things to note. The 3M tape is very strong but it's not a nutsert. I didn't notice that one bolt on the rock sliders was touching the rock skins. Next morning the pressure of the bolt had twisted the rock skins and popped the upper edge off. Barely took any pressure to push it back against the body but it would just keep popping off. Ultimately, I had to shim out the sliders to make up the difference in thickness of the rock skins, Nothing like redoing your work!

View attachment 386959

But, I'm happy with the look, we'll see how it holds up once I can get back on the trails.

View attachment 386958
Awesome! Bummer you had some clearance issues but looks like you got it all figured out. Looks great 👍🏼

Excited to finally start on this JK with all the prep and cutting. It’s getting an EVO DTD suspension, long arms and Currie axles with of course 40’s and beadlocks. This JK just had a HEMI installed so should be a blast to drive after it’s done.

0FDA52AA-2891-49F1-896B-2B53DA2F6876.jpeg
D1052998-A137-41A4-80BE-76950DFF05BE.jpeg
DB20B885-0BE2-45F1-B8EB-BA7E28306EB7.jpeg
D1E8C771-1A3C-4B17-AD22-BF001E1450BE.jpeg

We installed a JL EVO HD tire carrier and though I think the carrier itself works great supporting all that extra weight, I’ve never been excited about the camera and third brake light design. With that said, we started to use the Teraflex third brake light kit which works well and looks better IMO.

B032E823-CB7F-46B7-A03F-2B482705AA58.jpeg
6FB03672-83A6-4219-92A3-0C5647FF48D8.jpeg

If you already have this carrier or looking at purchasing one and want to do the same, here is the part number needed.

10A80D6A-BF71-4374-8C98-C7105AA854F4.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As I've stated before, not a fan of TeraFlex but I have to say, between their new diff cover and now this...
6fb03672-83a6-4219-92a3-0c5647ff48d8-jpeg.387169

I do have to give them kudos for coming up with some good solutions.

As I've stated before, not a fan of TeraFlex but I have to say, between their new diff cover and now this...
6fb03672-83a6-4219-92a3-0c5647ff48d8-jpeg.387169

I do have to give them kudos for coming up with some good solutions.
With the quick release lever, it looks like the whole thing can be stolen in a few seconds while shopping at the mall.

Top Bottom