Going to beadlocks worth it?

NAZ Jeeper

Thinking about adding an electric ratchet to my tools to make the 24 bolts per wheel go faster. What it the consensus about using anti seize on the ring bolts?

Thinking about adding an electric ratchet to my tools to make the 24 bolts per wheel go faster. What it the consensus about using anti seize on the ring bolts?
Definitely get the elec ratchet, I have the same Milwaukee as Eddie and it’s used all the time.

I believe anti-sieze is only needed in snowy climates where salt is used on the roads and probably wet coastal areas.

NAZ Jeeper

They just started using a liquid salt solution on the roads up here a couple years ago so there is some limited exposure.

Spazbyt

Hooked
If your wheels have steel inserts then grease or anti seize isn't mandatory but if your bolts thread directly into the aluminum then it is mandatory. As long as you reduce your torque values accordingly (generally 25% less) I would recommend grease or anti seize on all beadlocks especially in inclement weather or salty environments.

In a lot of cases marine grade grease can be used in place of anti seize. It work just as well without the added cost and the mess. Generally Anti seize is used when temperatures are to high for grease to be used.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
This is my go-to video whenever I need a refresh on mounting tires on my beadlocks. I do use a dab of anti-seize since a seized/broken bolt is a nightmare, but I have had several "agree to disagree" conversations on it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They just started using a liquid salt solution on the roads up here a couple years ago so there is some limited exposure.
Brine isn't the same thing as salted roads and from experience, I can tell you that it won't be enough to matter.
If your wheels have steel inserts then grease or anti seize isn't mandatory but if your bolts thread directly into the aluminum then it is mandatory.
Agreed.

NAZ Jeeper

Guess it may not be necessary but can‘t hurt either as long as the torque specs are correct for either wet or dry.

NAZ Jeeper

Mounted my first beadlock today. Went pretty smooth but took a lot of passes getting the screws torqued down. Now I know why they take so long.

Attachments

• 71C8C298-92CD-4FAB-97DF-7737C02D2CA1.jpeg
    71C8C298-92CD-4FAB-97DF-7737C02D2CA1.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 31B236BF-E526-45A2-A1DC-1CFD8FAA50E5.jpeg
    31B236BF-E526-45A2-A1DC-1CFD8FAA50E5.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 18

Ddays

Hooked
I forgot to also mention spraying a diluted soapy solution on the bead will help the process some. helps lubricate the ring/bead interface & lets it slide a little.

JimLee

Hooked
If your wheels have steel inserts then grease or anti seize isn't mandatory but if your bolts thread directly into the aluminum then it is mandatory. As long as you reduce your torque values accordingly (generally 25% less) I would recommend grease or anti seize on all beadlocks especially in inclement weather or salty environments.

In a lot of cases marine grade grease can be used in place of anti seize. It work just as well without the added cost and the mess. Generally Anti seize is used when temperatures are to high for grease to be used.
You know I was ready to antiseize mine all up (aluminum, no inserts) but when I called the manufacturer they said no antiseize. I live in the desert but I think I'm gonna go back through them and put some on when it comes time to retorque them. They haven't been driven on yet, but soon they should be.

Spazbyt

Hooked
You know I was ready to antiseize mine all up (aluminum, no inserts) but when I called the manufacturer they said no antiseize. I live in the desert but I think I'm gonna go back through them and put some on when it comes time to retorque them. They haven't been driven on yet, but soon they should be.
It can't hurt. I'm probably over cautious when it comes to that stuff. Sometimes I forget you guys out west have much less of a issue with it.

Jeeper99

For my needs, I've been reluctant to go to BLs. But, for this upcoming tire change, I made a step in that direction with the Icon Dynamics Rebound Pro wheels. We'll see if they are enough for my uses.

Top Bottom