Gmrs - the new cb?

TrailHunter

Hooked
So I've been nerding out on Comms and It seems people are starting to ditch CB and switching to GMRS. I am definitely interested in HAM and what it offers.... but for simplicity and getting fellow Jeepers on board... GMRS seems like the next logical step.

I also read The Jeepers Jamboree is switching to GMRS in 2021.

To those that have already switched:

1. Do you like it?
2. Are the limited amount of channels an issue?
3. And I was wondering if you can use your existing CB antennae Cable to mount a GMRS antennae? (Adapter at the Antennae)

wjtstudios

Hooked
So I've been nerding out on Comms and It seems people are starting to ditch CB and switching to GMRS. I am definitely interested in HAM and what it offers.... but for simplicity and getting fellow Jeepers on board... GMRS seems like the next logical step.

I also read The Jeepers Jamboree is switching to GMRS in 2021.

To those that have already switched:

1. Do you like it?
2. Are the limited amount of channels an issue?
3. And I was wondering if you can use your existing CB antennae Cable to mount a GMRS antennae? (Adapter at the Antennae)

1. Love it, it works great and at better range. No tuning required and has base unit and handheld units. I run a 40 watt in Bison

2. Not really an issue. There are 22 channels and 128 privacy channels you can set your group up on.

3. It might be adaptable, but it is a different antenna system

Once the scrambler is done I’m transferring the 40 watt midland to the scrambler and I have a Icom 5300a that is going back into bison. The HAM radios can transmit on GMRS frequencies, so that will open up more options down the road with different groups.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
1. Love it, it works great and at better range. No tuning required and has base unit and handheld units. I run a 40 watt in Bison

2. Not really an issue. There are 22 channels and 128 privacy channels you can set your group up on.

3. It might be adaptable, but it is a different antenna system

Once the scrambler is done I’m transferring the 40 watt midland to the scrambler and I have a Icom 5300a that is going back into bison. The HAM radios can transmit on GMRS frequencies, so that will open up more options down the road with different groups.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Cool. It does seem very plug n play, which I like for my buddies.. I need to do more research on the “Privacy Channels”... Can a HAM be programmed to these as well? Or are the 128 privacy channels only accessible from a dedicated GMRS unit?

... I also like the idea of using a HAM to communicate with GMRS... technically you are not supposed to.. But if you change the settings to meet GMRS requirements and you’re not an A-hole... I don’t see how there would be an issue.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
You can also use cheap FRS hand held units that work with GMRS for sure and HAM I think. No license or test required, but the range is less due to low transmission wattage and lack of repeaters. They work great in groups and I like not having anything mounted in the Jeep that might get ripped off. $50 and done.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Cool. It does seem very plug n play, which I like for my buddies.. I need to do more research on the “Privacy Channels”... Can a HAM be programmed to these as well? Or are the 128 privacy channels only accessible from a dedicated GMRS unit?

... I also like the idea of using a HAM to communicate with GMRS... technically you are not supposed to.. But if you change the settings to meet GMRS requirements and you’re not an A-hole... I don’t see how there would be an issue.

I don’t believe the ham can use the privacy channels, just the standard

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
You can also use cheap FRS hand held units that work with GMRS for sure and HAM I think. No license or test required, but the range is less due to low transmission wattage and lack of repeaters. They work great in groups and I like not having anything mounted in the Jeep that might get ripped off. $50 and done.

For sure.. the FRS & GMRS share channels... HAM can also but it’s not “Legal”... Last night with my HAM, I was able to listen in on my kids cheapo FRS unit and also some guys talking on a GMRS station, 10 miles away. Using GMRS/FRS seems very versatile in that anyone can connect on the cheap units or the more expensive units up to 50 watts.

I don’t believe the ham can use the privacy channels, just the standard

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

This seems like an advantage for GMRS. With 8 or so 50 watt channels available and multiple privacy codes on each channel ... there is no reason to interfere with other groups or have them listen in.

bhaner

I even found a local GMRS repeater. Not sure if the hand held units can be setup for a repeater but my unit in the Jeep can.

Kinda neat radios. I was hoping that they would become more popular than the race radios and those would just fade away... Time will tell.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
While I don't have a GMRS radio I have done a little research and found this on the FCC website regarding GMRS. It looks to me like you need a license.

An FCC license is required to operate GMRS system. Licenses are issued for a ten-year term and can be renewed between 90 days prior to the expiration date and up to the actual expiration date of the license. After a license expires, an individual must request a new GMRS license.

A GMRS system licensed to a non-individual prior to July 31, 1987 is also eligible for renewal, but the licensee may not make any major modification to the system.

You may apply for a GMRS license if you are 18 years or older and not a representative of a foreign government. If you receive a license, any family member, regardless of age, can operate GMRS stations and units within the licensed system.

The FCC service rules for the GMRS are located in 47 C.F.R. Part 95 Subpart E. You can find information about GMRS licensing in the rules.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I even found a local GMRS repeater. Not sure if the hand held units can be setup for a repeater but my unit in the Jeep can.

Kinda neat radios. I was hoping that they would become more popular than the race radios and those would just fade away... Time will tell.

I believe some higher end handhelds can use the repeaters... and there seems to be a lot of repeaters available.

I’m sure race radios will dominate because they can use higher power... but I think GMRS is gaining ground because of its simplicity... and especially with a company like Midland getting behind Jeepers. We’ll shall see.

wjtstudios

Hooked
While I don't have a GMRS radio I have done a little research and found this on the FCC website regarding GMRS. It looks to me like you need a license.

An FCC license is required to operate GMRS system. Licenses are issued for a ten-year term and can be renewed between 90 days prior to the expiration date and up to the actual expiration date of the license. After a license expires, an individual must request a new GMRS license.

A GMRS system licensed to a non-individual prior to July 31, 1987 is also eligible for renewal, but the licensee may not make any major modification to the system.

You may apply for a GMRS license if you are 18 years or older and not a representative of a foreign government. If you receive a license, any family member, regardless of age, can operate GMRS stations and units within the licensed system.

The FCC service rules for the GMRS are located in 47 C.F.R. Part 95 Subpart E. You can find information about GMRS licensing in the rules.

It takes about 10-15 minutes and $75 to fill it out. That’s only for units greater than 5 watts.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

bhaner

I believe some higher end handhelds can use the repeaters... and there seems to be a lot of repeaters available.

I’m sure race radios will dominate because they can use higher power... but I think GMRS is gaining ground because of its simplicity... and especially with a company like Midland getting behind Jeepers. We’ll shall see.

The midland unit I have in my Jeep seems to work great! I love the micro form factor. I was able to mount the "brain" inside the arm rest with my CB "brain". I then ran cat5 cable up to the dash for a nice clean install.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Micr...ords=midland+gmrs+micro&qid=1607533150&sr=8-3

bhaner

Yep. The GMRS License was very easy to get. Just register and pay the fee. No test. It also covers your immediate family.

TrailHunter

Hooked
The midland unit I have in my Jeep seems to work great! I love the micro form factor. I was able to mount the "brain" inside the arm rest with my CB "brain". I then ran cat5 cable up to the dash for a nice clean install.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Micr...ords=midland+gmrs+micro&qid=1607533150&sr=8-3

Thats the exact unit I’m looking at... I can basically swap it right out for my Cobra 75... mount the brain behind the glove box... power wires are already there, and use my existing CB coax cable for the antennae.. I’d get a 6db antennae and I’m good to go.

I’m over CB.. yeah everyone has it... but guys always have it tuned wrong, grounded wrong and it generally sounds like shit compared to GMRS.

Paying $70 online for 10 years is easy. And if I’m running with HAM guys on licensed channels, I can use the Handheld.

rubiDave

Yes most HAM radios can use the privacy channel. That term "privacy channel" is a misnomer though. Its really just a programmed tone in the transmitter that is used to break the squelch on the receiving end. For a given channel and privacy channel set to zero on the receiver you will hear everyone transmitting on that channel regardless of their privacy setting. Likewise if two people are transmitting simultaneously on the same channel, but different privacy channels their transmissions can interfere with each other to receivers on the channel/privacy channel.
One other problem with the privacy channel scheme is that its not 100% standardized across brands, so you might not be able to use the privacy channel feature if there are people in your group with different radio brands.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Yes most HAM radios can use the privacy channel. That term "privacy channel" is a misnomer though. Its really just a programmed tone in the transmitter that is used to break the squelch on the receiving end. For a given channel and privacy channel set to zero on the receiver you will hear everyone transmitting on that channel regardless of their privacy setting. Likewise if two people are transmitting simultaneously on the same channel, but different privacy channels their transmissions can interfere with each other to receivers on the channel/privacy channel.
One other problem with the privacy channel scheme is that its not 100% standardized across brands, so you might not be able to use the privacy channel feature if there are people in your group with different radio brands.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hmm, Interesting..

Top Bottom