Crappy EVO tire carrier knock off spotted at KOH

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I should have gotten more pics... but this thing had corners that were pretty thin...about the thickness of the PSC skins.

1391847937343.jpg

Oddly enough there was a Rebel Offroad sticker on the jeep. Not sure if they were involved.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I couldn't imagine rebel off road doing anything like this. Looks like somebody made the tire carrier in their shop/garage to imitate the look of the EVO carrier.

JAGS

Hooked
Man. Howd you happen to see that.

I'd lean toward home garage theory too as it also appears the rear bumper is the same. A lot of people try to home do EVO knock offs.

- Jason

StrizzyChris

not gonna lie, they did a good job! If the pannels are crappy and thin, thats one thing, but just the look of it isnt too bad at all. I like EVO's rear skins tapering around the factory fenders better though.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Man. Howd you happen to see that.

I'd lean toward home garage theory too as it also appears the rear bumper is the same. A lot of people try to home do EVO knock offs.

- Jason

I love spectating rigs too not just the race... I saw it from a distance and went over because it looked very similar to my rig. I should have gotten more up close pics. Dang it. The carrier itself is pretty good though a bit wide, the joins actually align just a hair wider than the body. I can't imagine why someone would copy it like that angle for angle. It had to of cost more to fab than buy off the shelve.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I appreciate people with skills to build things they dream up. I don't appreciate people making knock offs. Actually, I despise people who copy a marketed product. IMHO...they suck donkey dicks.

Be creative yourself, or pay someone else for their creativity, but don't rip people off.

This "knock off" sucks and so does the person who made it. It doesn't even have adjustable ends.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Looks like someones home project to me.

Why would they do it? Probably have all the tools in their garage or shop and it would be a fun project.

If I had all the required tools in my garage and enough free time I would make one myself. That being said, I would probably make something that cant be bought off the shelf, like a SS or Al version. Never going to happen as I cant tig for shit, but maybe someday haha.

Atch

I appreciate people with skills to build things they dream up. I don't appreciate people making knock offs. Actually, I despise people who copy a marketed product. IMHO...they suck donkey dicks.

Be creative yourself, or pay someone else for their creativity, but don't rip people off.

This "knock off" sucks and so does the person who made it. It doesn't even have adjustable ends.

I completely agree with you Sharkey! If you're going to make your own things really make them your OWN, don't copy someone else's design!!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
We saw a similar looking but even worse copy on a Mojave trip.

I saw the thread title and automatically thought of the rig for. The Mojave trip, classic. And the guy had the paper thin armor with lines and corners that didn't match up. :cheesy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I saw the thread title and automatically thought of the rig for. The Mojave trip, classic. And the guy had the paper thin armor with lines and corners that didn't match up. :cheesy:

Haha I thought the same thing. Except that one was about to fall off.

VADER JK

I don't understand how you can have the skills and tools to make this and not at least be creative and do your own design. I saw this imitation on Instagram a few weeks ago too.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391887618.221240.jpg

JK-JOHN-E

not gonna lie, they did a good job! If the pannels are crappy and thin, thats one thing, but just the look of it isnt too bad at all. I like EVO's rear skins tapering around the factory fenders better though.

I'm with you on this Chris, for a homemade job, if it is, it looks pretty damn good:yup:I'd rather have an EVO but my budget doesn't permit it:grayno:

JK's JK

Banned
I should have gotten more pics... but this thing had corners that were pretty thin...about the thickness of the PSC skins.

View attachment 67997

Oddly enough there was a Rebel Offroad sticker on the jeep. Not sure if they were involved.

If the guys actually made it himself then I commend him. But I think he should have made his own touch on the design. I've noticed EVO tire carriers on line that look very similar before.

Top Bottom