Caster and vibration suggestions.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So I got a angle finder app on the phone and I got 85.8 at this location on the diff.
View attachment 297144

I want to get it to 92 degrees correct, The extra caster on the Unlimited PR44 has nothing to do with getting to that angle correct?

85.8 looking just as the pic you posted? The PR44 unlimited has 10 degrees separation between pinion and inner knuckle. So if you’re shooting for 4 degrees caster you’ll want your angle finder to read 84 according to the pic you posted. If you’re reading 85.8 from that same view, your caster is at 5.8. Make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
85.8 looking just as the pic you posted? The PR44 unlimited has 10 degrees separation between pinion and inner knuckle. So if you’re shooting for 4 degrees caster you’ll want your angle finder to read 84 according to the pic you posted. If you’re reading 85.8 from that same view, your caster is at 5.8. Make sense?

I reused a pic from wayalife's tutorial, just to show where I put the phone at, but still I'm at a bit of a loss

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I reused a pic from wayalife's tutorial, just to show where I put the phone at, but still I'm at a bit of a loss

Maybe I can put it another way. The way the PR44U is set up, if the pinion was horizontal (your angle finder reading 90) you would have 10 degrees of caster. If you rotate the axle 6 degrees, making the pinion point upward 6 degrees, you would now have 4 degrees caster and your angle finder would read 84. If you flip the angle finder around it would read 96.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Maybe I can put it another way. The way the PR44U is set up, if the pinion was horizontal (your angle finder reading 90) you would have 10 degrees of caster. If you rotate the axle 6 degrees, making the pinion point upward 6 degrees, you would now have 4 degrees caster and your angle finder would read 84. If you flip the angle finder around it would read 96.

ok, so what are the angle numbers that I need to get to?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
ok, so what are the angle numbers that I need to get to?

Depends on what you want your caster to be. Stock is 4.2 I believe. If you want that, you need 84.2 or 95.8 depending on which side you’re looking from. Also make sure the ground your jeep is on is level. If not, you’ll have to factor that in.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My Caster on the driver side balljoint
View attachment 297213

my caster on passenger side balljoint
View attachment 297214

So I want to take those to to 6 correct?

BTW floor angle is 1.1

It’s tough to get an accurate measurement on the balljoints. Those numbers should be closer together. But, like I said before, it’s up to you what you set the caster at. I personally run 4 degrees. And you would either add or subtract the floor slope to your measurement depending on which way it slopes.

WJCO

Meme King
Don't try and acheive the same caster reading on each ball joint, just pick one. Then make sure that your control arms are the exact same length.

In a perfect world, the pinion gear and drive shaft will point right at each other. If you can get that and still have good steering, it's good. I'm pretty sure that dynatrac recommends setting the caster at 6 to 6.5 on the PR44 with the built-in caster.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Don't try and acheive the same caster reading on each ball joint, just pick one. Then make sure that your control arms are the exact same length.

In a perfect world, the pinion gear and drive shaft will point right at each other. If you can get that and still have good steering, it's good. I'm pretty sure that dynatrac recommends setting the caster at 6 to 6.5 on the PR44 with the built-in caster.

THank you, for all your help man!!

Top Bottom