Caster and vibration suggestions.

RUBEERCON

Hello again...

I had to simplify my other post so I just started a new one.

After installing a ton of new parts including Oliver shafts I had my caster out of wack, I pulled the front shaft and all of my vibration went away.

Shaft was reinstalled.
I have my caster at 90* with the intention of trying 91/92* next but now I’m almost out of adjustment on the upper arms.

It took me 3 adjustments to get from 85deg down to 90. I put everything back together after each adjustment and drove the Jeep.

85 heavy vibration at higher speeds
Alignment guy got me to 87 with little improvement but move my toe in a hair.
I got the caster to 88 and finally 90 but I still have a pulse vibration on the highway.

Will 2* make it all better or should I have the driveshaft checked for balance? It’s new and installed correctly.

Current setup.

Attachments

• 268D8BC7-C546-4709-96DF-BD1D088A9D0A.jpg
    268D8BC7-C546-4709-96DF-BD1D088A9D0A.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 33D09E50-C2B9-451E-BE20-5E11419AA72E.jpg
    33D09E50-C2B9-451E-BE20-5E11419AA72E.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 292
  • E4D7ABDE-F0AE-45FE-8450-C8BBBEA4CCAB.jpg
    E4D7ABDE-F0AE-45FE-8450-C8BBBEA4CCAB.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 7A8B380D-0F1C-4869-8A0E-BCB8E29A96E4.jpg
    7A8B380D-0F1C-4869-8A0E-BCB8E29A96E4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 1F5286FD-B3EF-46BD-9D64-8EFF4BD139DA.jpg
    1F5286FD-B3EF-46BD-9D64-8EFF4BD139DA.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 295

WJCO

Meme King
Hello again...

I had to simplify my other post so I just started a new one.

After installing a ton of new parts including Oliver shafts I had my caster out of wack, I pulled the front shaft and all of my vibration went away.

Shaft was reinstalled.
I have my caster at 90* with the intention of trying 91/92* next but now I’m almost out of adjustment on the upper arms.

It took me 3 adjustments to get from 85deg down to 90. I put everything back together after each adjustment and drove the Jeep.

85 heavy vibration at higher speeds
Alignment guy got me to 87 with little improvement but move my toe in a hair.
I got the caster to 88 and finally 90 but I still have a pulse vibration on the highway.

Will 2* make it all better or should I have the driveshaft checked for balance? It’s new and installed correctly.

Current setup.

Your problem is likely here:

IMG_20180318_200809_239.jpg

If your photo was taken from the driver's side of the vehicle, it looks like you need to lengthen the upper arms. These angles should end up more parallel to each other.

RUBEERCON

Yes drivers side. That’s how I originally set it up when I had the angle finder at 85* The angle looked more relaxed but it had a heavy viberation so I went for the recommended 88-92 on the write up on WL.

WJCO

Meme King
Yes drivers side. That’s how I originally set it up when I had the angle finder at 85* The angle looked more relaxed but it had a heavy viberation so I went for the recommended 88-92 on the write up on WL.

92 is what you want if you leave the gauge in the same location (88 if you flip it around and view from the passenger side). Looks like you need to lengthen the upper arms or shorten the lowers.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
It’s a balance between proper pinion angle and caster. Ideally you want the pinion pointed straight in line with the driveshaft but isn’t really achievable due to affecting caster as well. Wouldn’t be unheard of for the shaft to be out of balance though. It’s cheap to have that checked. But first, are you sure it’s phased properly?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RUBEERCON

It was shipped unmarked. I read about matching up the components to stay balanced after I installed it. The rear shaft is fine and I didn’t pay attention to matching anything up but could have got lucky.
I did call Oliver’s and the guy that answered the phone said it didn’t matter the mating ends could go either way. Hmmm.

RUBEERCON

I can make adjustments blind folded now but I guess I just don’t have the common sense to figure out the angles. That’s why I paid 190.00! for the alignment but it came back vibrating. I have a feeling if I go back to the same guy they’ll just charge me more instead of working on it for free.

I’ll see if one of our local off road shops can get me in this week. Giving up for the night. Thanks for the help guys!

jeeeep

Hooked
It was shipped unmarked. I read about matching up the components to stay balanced after I installed it. The rear shaft is fine and I didn’t pay attention to matching anything up but could have got lucky.
I did call Oliver’s and the guy that answered the phone said it didn’t matter the mating ends could go either way. Hmmm.

did the drive shaft pull apart on you? check for witness marks on the drive shaft body/spline, it's usually a couple of punch marks, make sure they are aligned.

RUBEERCON

did the drive shaft pull apart on you? check for witness marks on the drive shaft body/spline, it's usually a couple of punch marks, make sure they are aligned.

Good question. I didn’t have it apart, and yes they mark it well with decals.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Now that I saw those pictures I got curious, I don't have an angle finder but this is how mine is setup.
Do you guys think it still needs some more adjusting? I'm planning to take the jeep to a 4x4 shop for alignment and get them the PR44 info on Caster just in case but it never hurts to have another pair of eyes look at it.

driver side view
2018-03-21 12.42.59.jpg

passenger side view

2018-03-21 12.43.19.jpg

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Now that I saw those pictures I got curious, I don't have an angle finder but this is how mine is setup.
Do you guys think it still needs some more adjusting? I'm planning to take the jeep to a 4x4 shop for alignment and get them the PR44 info on Caster just in case but it never hurts to have another pair of eyes look at it.

driver side view
View attachment 296998

passenger side view

View attachment 296999

Hard to tell from a pic, it looks ok, but you should check it. You can pick up an angle finder really cheap at a hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jsukey

Not to hijack a thread, but I’ve been having a similar vibration as well at speeds above 70. This is a pic of my front driveshaft as it leaves the T/C. I’m guessing my caster is waaay off from the looks of it. Am I right? 05064C2A-71E2-4310-A78D-DA7C154579AD.jpg

Your problem is likely here:

View attachment 296747

If your photo was taken from the driver's side of the vehicle, it looks like you need to lengthen the upper arms. These angles should end up more parallel to each other.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Not to hijack a thread, but I’ve been having a similar vibration as well at speeds above 70. This is a pic of my front driveshaft as it leaves the T/C. I’m guessing my caster is waaay off from the looks of it. Am I right? View attachment 297095

That is actually the Transfer Case side, that double cardan is there because it is on that side that the DS will be at an angle. It is at the axle side that you want to have it parallel with the axle pinion. If you feel vibration at 70MPH you might either have a tire out of balance or the driveshaft out of balance.

jsukey

It may be a driveshaft then. The vibration can’t be felt until around 70-75 mph. At 65 mph, the only thing I can feel is the contours of the road.

That is actually the Transfer Case side, that double cardan is there because it is on that side that the DS will be at an angle. It is at the axle side that you want to have it parallel with the axle pinion. If you feel vibration at 70MPH you might either have a tire out of balance or the driveshaft out of balance.

jorgelrod

Hooked
92 is what you want if you leave the gauge in the same location (88 if you flip it around and view from the passenger side). Looks like you need to lengthen the upper arms or shorten the lowers.

So I got a angle finder app on the phone and I got 85.8 at this location on the diff.
attachment.jpg

I want to get it to 92 degrees correct, The extra caster on the Unlimited PR44 has nothing to do with getting to that angle correct?

Last edited:
Top Bottom