Bent rear axle flange??

jesse3638

Hooked
To get rid of the squeak till you swap shafts, you can hit the guide clips with some lube/spray. Just don't get any on the rotors/pads.

I did this for a long while after the prison hill post rubicon run. When you swap shafts, also make sure all the brake clips are seated properly.

I've now bent a stock flange and a revolution flange. These couple little tips helped with my squeak till I could swap.
Did Revolution warranty their shaft after bending the flange? That's what I replaced my stocks with after I bent one on the Rubicon.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Rear hub

Need to replace my rear hub and wheel bearing but can't find any info expect for the fronts. Are they the same or is there a different model for the rears?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
Need to replace my rear hub and wheel bearing but can't find any info expect for the fronts. Are they the same or is there a different model for the rears?

Why? What's wrong with it?

The rear is an axle with a bearing on it, not a separate hub.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Why? What's wrong with it?

The rear is an axle with a bearing on it, not a separate hub.
Oh dang. Well I noticed there is a slight wobble in the wheel while driving. I've had a chirping noise back there for a while now also, gets worse on acceleration. Same wheel that just broke a wheel stud after wheeling, although may not be related.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Oh dang. Well I noticed there is a slight wobble in the wheel while driving. I've had a chirping noise back there for a while now also, gets worse on acceleration. Same wheel that just broke a wheel stud after wheeling, although may not be related.

You have a bent flange. You can live with it, or replace the axle shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug

Possibly a bent rear axle flange?

You could remove both rear axle shafts (there's write ups on here somewhere) and compare them to see what may have bent, but I'm going to guess you'll need a new rear axle shaft.

Edit: Looks like I got beat to the punch and the thread got moved.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Okay thanks guys. Guess I needed to upgrade anyway. For Rubicon you guys recommend going to 35 spline?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Damn it! Reading through this thread... I think I have a bent flange... Possibly happened in Panamint.... But I didn't hear anything until I washed the Jeep last Sunday and drove it... Getting squeaking from the rear at low and high speeds... goes away as soon as I tap the brake... I jacked it up and I can't see a huge wobble when spinning the tires... but I can hear the pad rub only at a certain point of the rotation. (no squeak though when on the jack) I just installed the Progrips and greased the crap out of everything... I cant believe it would be the brakes.... but who knows... I'll pull the wheels off and look closer... but I'm guessing bent flange.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Damn it! Reading through this thread... I think I have a bent flange... Possibly happened in Panamint.... But I didn't hear anything until I washed the Jeep last Sunday and drove it... Getting squeaking from the rear at low and high speeds... goes away as soon as I tap the brake... I jacked it up and I can't see a huge wobble when spinning the tires... but I can hear the pad rub only at a certain point of the rotation. (no squeak though when on the jack) I just installed the Progrips and greased the crap out of everything... I cant believe it would be the brakes.... but who knows... I'll pull the wheels off and look closer... but I'm guessing bent flange.

It sure sounds like a flange from that description. Sucks, have you upgraded the rear shafts yet?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
It sure sounds like a flange from that description. Sucks, have you upgraded the rear shafts yet?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

No... I was expecting this to happen eventually. I upgraded the front with Carbon offroad shafts.. Will probably go with them on the rear... or Revolution.. not sure yet.

When my rear flanges bent, I replaced the shafts with Revolution. Very solid so far and super easy to swap because the bearings are already pressed on.

This post right here finally helped me diagnose the difference between lack of grease / dirty brake clips, caliper pins etc. and my bent flange:

To get rid of the squeak till you swap shafts, you can hit the guide clips with some lube/spray. Just don't get any on the rotors/pads.

I did this for a long while after the prison hill post rubicon run. When you swap shafts, also make sure all the brake clips are seated properly.

I've now bent a stock flange and a revolution flange. These couple little tips helped with my squeak till I could swap.

Before reading that, I was greasing everything and then no squeak for a day and then squeaking resumed. Once I realized that I was just masking the bent flange, I swapped them out and never had a problem again. When pulling the old shafts, I could tell by spinning it that the passenger side was particularly bent.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

TrailHunter

Hooked
When my rear flanges bent, I replaced the shafts with Revolution. Very solid so far and super easy to swap because the bearings are already pressed on.

This post right here finally helped me diagnose the difference between lack of grease / dirty brake clips, caliper pins etc. and my bent flange:

Before reading that, I was greasing everything and then no squeak for a day and then squeaking resumed. Once I realized that I was just masking the bent flange, I swapped them out and never had a problem again. When pulling the old shafts, I could tell by spinning it that the passenger side was particularly bent.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

For Sure Man.... I ordered some shafts already... I haven't even bothered taking it apart to check the clips, since I just installed the brakes 3 weeks ago and lubed everything up really good.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Decided to pull the calipers off, clean & check everything.... driver side looked very slightly bent... maybe 1/32 off as it rotated. Cleaned all the silt from the last run out of everything.... but while driving it, the squeak is still there. I'm guessing the bearing is bad or it's bent just enough to squeak. I'll patiently wait for the new shafts to arrive.

WJCO

Meme King
Decided to pull the calipers off, clean & check everything.... driver side looked very slightly bent... maybe 1/32 off as it rotated. Cleaned all the silt from the last run out of everything.... but while driving it, the squeak is still there. I'm guessing the bearing is bad or it's bent just enough to squeak. I'll patiently wait for the new shafts to arrive.

Runout spec is like .002 or .003. If it's bent 1/32 (.03125), it's bad.

Top Bottom