Bent rear axle flange??

benatc1

Hooked
Pretty sure I have a bent rear axle flange- maybe both, kinda hard to tell, but about 1200 miles ago i started getting a chip when applying my rear brakes that went away when i pushed harder. First thought was maybe i forgot to lube up the slides when I installed the rear axle and swapped over the brakes (2016 Rubicon, with rear axle from 2012 sport) so i pulled them apart and cleaned up the slides and lubes everything up and the squeak was gone, but its back now and while i dont feel it much while driving there does seem to be a vibration that ive noticed but kinda chalked up to the trail grapplers continuing to wear. as luck would have it I actually ordered a pair of Revolution rear axle shafts earlier this week with all of my Armor, so if this is the case I will be covered. Any way I have 3 questions..

1) What else should I look for to help diagnose the problem?

2) Is it safe to drive as is? i feel like its ok, like i said i haven't noticed much change in driving other than a different light vibration and I guess it feels a little "wavy" when im going less than 5mph sitting in traffic but even that isn't much.

3) If they are bent would they still be worth keeping as a trail spare to get me home??

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A bent flange is nothing to worry about - more annoying than anything and I typically keep them as spares unless it's really bad.

With that said, a bent flange is something you typically hear in terms of a squeak and not necessarily something you feel or would cause a vibration. If what you're hearing/feeling is in fact "wavy" or oscillates, it may be more likely that you have a shaft that is out of balance.

benatc1

Hooked
A bent flange is nothing to worry about - more annoying than anything and I typically keep them as spares unless it's really bad.

With that said, a bent flange is something you typically hear in terms of a squeak and not necessarily something you feel or would cause a vibration. If what you're hearing/feeling is in fact "wavy" or oscillates, it may be more likely that you have a shaft that is out of balance.

Ah gotcha, I definitely have the squeak when braking but I may have to keep searching for the vibration. by shaft out of balance do you mean axle shaft or drive shaft?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ah gotcha, I definitely have the squeak when braking but I may have to keep searching for the vibration. by shaft out of balance do you mean axle shaft or drive shaft?

If your flange were bent, you would be hearing squeaking UNTIL you braked. If you are hearing it when braking, you could have a warped rotor or just a build up of carbon dust on the pads. You could even have a guide clip that's just shifted over a bit.

By out of balance, I mean the drive shaft. Typically, this is something you'd notice at higher speeds though and not at a crawl. I'd have to hear it for myself but it could be something as silly as lug thumping.

Baja

If at low speeds it's a squeak, squeak, squeak, then gets louder as you first brake or lightly brake, bet then goes away after hard braking, it's most likely a bent flange. I have one right now too. More embarrassing than anything else, when your late model vehicle sounds like a ghetto jet lol.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Baja

While we're on the subject, anyone else try checking the runout on the bent flange and try those shims between the flange and rotor hat? I've been meaning to try it. Just need to make the time to do it.

WJCO

Meme King
You can jack up the rear pumpkin, leave it in 2wd, and put the vehicle in drive. Do this safely, it's best to have someone inside ready to hit the brakes in case vehicle falls off the jack or stands. While the rear wheels are driving in the air, you can visually see if you have a bent flange. I have one right now on the RR, I get the squeak and can see it wobble. It's been there for awhile, and isn't hurting anything.

HOWEVER, if it's bent enough, it will break shit very quickly. I got hit last year on that same side by a car going only about 10mph on the ice. We drove it home with the squeak noise just a couple of miles. Shortly after, I took it about a mile down to the shop that was doing the insurance work, and just a few blocks from the shop, the rotor broke, the caliper broke, and the caliper bracket broke. So this was within 5 miles on the odometer after the accident. The brake fluid came out of the caliper and I no longer had e-brakes either on the RR as the ebrakes are inside of the rotor that broke. So I had only one LR mechanical brake. It sucked, luckily I was so close to the shop. I coasted in their parking lot and was VERY aware of all vehicles around me to make sure I had ample time to use my one ebrake. Here' the only picture I got that the shop was nice enough to save for me.

DSC02507.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

I would think if you've been driving on it for awhile, you'll be fine other than the noise. If it just started, keep an eye on it.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
If at low speeds it's a squeak, squeak, squeak, then gets louder as you first brake or lightly brake, bet then goes away after hard braking, it's most likely a bent flange. I have one right now too. More embarrassing than anything else, when your late model vehicle sounds like a ghetto jet lol.

Isnt that the truth :cheesy:
Mine chirps like no tomorrow. I Already have the new shafts, but figure i might as well ride on the bent flange as long as i can. Or till the next big trip anyway :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
While we're on the subject, anyone else try checking the runout on the bent flange and try those shims between the flange and rotor hat? I've been meaning to try it. Just need to make the time to do it.

I wouldn't think that would really be a good way to fix it. You really want the wheel flat on the rotor, and the rotor flat on the axle flange. I myself wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

Baja

I agree how it should be, but thinking it has to be better than it's current wobbling state. Those shims are only a maximum of up to 0.030 inch thick.

benatc1

Hooked
If your flange were bent, you would be hearing squeaking UNTIL you braked. If you are hearing it when braking, you could have a warped rotor or just a build up of carbon dust on the pads. You could even have a guide clip that's just shifted over a bit.

By out of balance, I mean the drive shaft. Typically, this is something you'd notice at higher speeds though and not at a crawl. I'd have to hear it for myself but it could be something as silly as lug thumping.

oh i gotcha, i misunderstood the squeak. yes it squeaks (like- tick, tick, tick- but a squeak) when i apply light pressure and then generally goes away when i apply harder pedal (very annoying though). i honestly thought the vibration was from the tires and maybe that wavy feeling was just he road but ill try and identify it more.. in regards to the brakes they only have 6k miles on them from the factory and have been pulled apart and lubed twice- I don't have have typical pulse feeling with a warped rotor but its obviously frustrating. maybe ill just keep throwing cool aftermarket parts at it like axle shafts and dynatrac brakes and whatever else i can pull together!:crazyeyes:

benatc1

Hooked

Thanks for the info! does make my jeep feel ghetto driving around town :sigh:

You can jack up the rear pumpkin, leave it in 2wd, and put the vehicle in drive. Do this safely, it's best to have someone inside ready to hit the brakes in case vehicle falls off the jack or stands. While the rear wheels are driving in the air, you can visually see if you have a bent flange. I have one right now on the RR, I get the squeak and can see it wobble. It's been there for awhile, and isn't hurting anything.

HOWEVER, if it's bent enough, it will break shit very quickly. I got hit last year on that same side by a car going only about 10mph on the ice. We drove it home with the squeak noise just a couple of miles. Shortly after, I took it about a mile down to the shop that was doing the insurance work, and just a few blocks from the shop, the rotor broke, the caliper broke, and the caliper bracket broke. So this was within 5 miles on the odometer after the accident. The brake fluid came out of the caliper and I no longer had e-brakes either on the RR as the ebrakes are inside of the rotor that broke. So I had only one LR mechanical brake. It sucked, luckily I was so close to the shop. I coasted in their parking lot and was VERY aware of all vehicles around me to make sure I had ample time to use my one ebrake. Here' the only picture I got that the shop was nice enough to save for me.

View attachment 240845

View attachment 240846

I would think if you've been driving on it for awhile, you'll be fine other than the noise. If it just started, keep an eye on it.

Dang! thats crazy... if its bent i dont think its to bad, but I will jack it up and see, thanks for the tip!

jesse3638

Hooked
I had a bent flange after the Rubicon and your symptoms sound identical to mine. I had a dead battery when I went to replace mine so I was letting it idle while I began the process. Up on stands in neutral (manual trans) after I removed the DS rear wheel the axle started rotating ( I didn't know that would happen..haha). I could stop it by hand so there was no direct connection I'm guessing friction from everything. While it was spinning slowly I held a pencil about 1/8" away from the rotor and you could visibly see the deflection. Pulled the shaft out and noticed I had actually twisted the splines too. Replaced both with Revolution chromoly shafts and all the your mentioned symptoms went away. I showed pics on here of the splines and based off everyone's advice that a shaft with a bent flange and twisted splines was better than a broken shaft I kept it for a trail spare. Sounds like you already have shafts to install anyway so hopefully that takes care of your problem. Hope this helps!

benatc1

Hooked
I had a bent flange after the Rubicon and your symptoms sound identical to mine. I had a dead battery when I went to replace mine so I was letting it idle while I began the process. Up on stands in neutral (manual trans) after I removed the DS rear wheel the axle started rotating ( I didn't know that would happen..haha). I could stop it by hand so there was no direct connection I'm guessing friction from everything. While it was spinning slowly I held a pencil about 1/8" away from the rotor and you could visibly see the deflection. Pulled the shaft out and noticed I had actually twisted the splines too. Replaced both with Revolution chromoly shafts and all the your mentioned symptoms went away. I showed pics on here of the splines and based off everyone's advice that a shaft with a bent flange and twisted splines was better than a broken shaft I kept it for a trail spare. Sounds like you already have shafts to install anyway so hopefully that takes care of your problem. Hope this helps!

Thanks Jesse, Yea man it does help, ill see what ill check it out today or tomorrow to see if its actually bent but your right the new shafts are going in anyway.. do you like your revolution shafts so far? ive only heard good things

wjtstudios

Hooked
I had exactly the same issue with the same sound. The squeak squeak following the speed and rotation of the shaft. When you break hard it stops for a bit then starts back up. It ended up being both rear shafts were bent. I replaced the with revolution shafts and could not be happier. They have a lifetime warranty that covers bending.

SubzArtz

View attachment 240845

View attachment 240846

That's very interesting... I was hit by a car, (uninsured HS student on a permit...), square in the rear passenger side tire. Broke part of the lip off my AEV Savagre wheel, but not enough to cause the tire to lose air. (This was last Friday afternoon) Now, whenever I brake, usually between 45-30mph, as I'm slowing down, I hear a "rotational squeaking", almost like my old TJ's angry sparrow sound from the drive shaft. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear, and the side that was hit. I did pull the tire, get under the Jeep, and check everything out visually, and tugged on some stuff, but all seemed good. (the Friday night I got home.) I put on the spare, and have been driving since. I see the claims adjuster today, and hope to get it into a shop to dig around a bit more to make sure all is good. This is my DD and I put on about 300 miles a week on the JKUR, so I want to just be sure all ok. :beer:

benatc1

Hooked
I had exactly the same issue with the same sound. The squeak squeak following the speed and rotation of the shaft. When you break hard it stops for a bit then starts back up. It ended up being both rear shafts were bent. I replaced the with revolution shafts and could not be happier. They have a lifetime warranty that covers bending.

Glad you like the shafts, the warranty is a huge plus, i heard customer service is awesome too

WJCO

Meme King
That's very interesting... I was hit by a car, (uninsured HS student on a permit...), square in the rear passenger side tire. Broke part of the lip off my AEV Savagre wheel, but not enough to cause the tire to lose air. (This was last Friday afternoon) Now, whenever I brake, usually between 45-30mph, as I'm slowing down, I hear a "rotational squeaking", almost like my old TJ's angry sparrow sound from the drive shaft. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear, and the side that was hit. I did pull the tire, get under the Jeep, and check everything out visually, and tugged on some stuff, but all seemed good. (the Friday night I got home.) I put on the spare, and have been driving since. I see the claims adjuster today, and hope to get it into a shop to dig around a bit more to make sure all is good. This is my DD and I put on about 300 miles a week on the JKUR, so I want to just be sure all ok. :beer:

On mine, the adjuster first priced out the wheel, the axle, the caliper, and rotor. It wasn't until the shop was installing all of that, that they also found the caliper bracket was bent. You couldn't really see it was visually bent, it wasn't until the shop found that the new caliper wouldn't mount up to it. So there could be hidden damage that is found later, insurance companies are used to that as well.

JAGS

Hooked
To get rid of the squeak till you swap shafts, you can hit the guide clips with some lube/spray. Just don't get any on the rotors/pads.

I did this for a long while after the prison hill post rubicon run. When you swap shafts, also make sure all the brake clips are seated properly.

I've now bent a stock flange and a revolution flange. These couple little tips helped with my squeak till I could swap.

Top Bottom