• Nope - Perfectly happy with 37's

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Nah - I'd rather just make the jump to 40's

Votes: 19 23.8%

• Total voters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now, I would be the first to admit that I've never really liked 38" tires and mainly because, they were in fact an odd size. For me, I like to run with groups where most everyone is running the same size tire especially being that it's a hell of a lot easier to bum a spare in the event that you blow 2 of your own. But, being that everyone and their mother seems to want to go bigger and bigger, even if it's just by just an inch (because an inch is still an inch), it seems like 38's are finally becoming more of a "normal" size. Certainly, more and more mainstream companies are or will be offering them in the very near future and not just for a 20" wheel.

With that said, I was curious to know what you all thought about 38's? For those of you running 37's now, will you make the 1" jump when it comes time to replace what you have? Will it make a difference who the manufacturer is and what model the tire is in order for you to make the 1" jump? If so, who are you wanting to see make a 38 and for what model tire?

:cool:

CalSgt

Hooked
I'll stick with 37's until its time for Wontons and 40's...

I was really hoping to time it to where my 37's will be worn out when I'm ready to afford axles. I'll need new wheels at the same time so might as well mount new tires on them & try to sell the 5 lug wheels with the worn out 37's still mounted.

WJCO

Meme King
Now, I would be the first to admit that I've never really liked 38" tires and mainly because, they were in fact an odd size. For me, I like to run with groups where most everyone is running the same size tire especially being that it's a hell of a lot easier to bum a spare in the event that you blow 2 of your own. But, being that everyone and their mother seems to want to go bigger and bigger, even if it's just by just an inch (because an inch is still an inch), it seems like 38's are finally becoming more of a "normal" size. Certainly, more and more mainstream companies are or will be offering them in the very near future and not just for a 20" wheel.

With that said, I was curious to know what you all thought about 38's? For those of you running 37's now, will you make the 1" jump when it comes time to replace what you have? Will it make a difference who the manufacturer is and what model the tire is in order for you to make the 1" jump? If so, who are you wanting to see make a 38 and for what model tire?

I just voted "Yes - But only if they're made by a brand I like and in a model I prefer." I never thought I would consider 38s, however, I was eyeing some Nittos the other day and noticed they're making the Ridge Grappler in the 38s now. Still not sure but I'm thinking about it rather than going to 40s on the JT. If it fits underneath, it would save me the time and money building a tire rack for the bed. As far as the JL, not sure if I want to run too big of a tire on the 4 cyl motor though; still undecided on that one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll stick with 37's until its time for Wontons and 40's...

I was really hoping to time it to where my 37's will be worn out when I'm ready to afford axles. I'll need new wheels at the same time so might as well mount new tires on them & try to sell the 5 lug wheels with the worn out 37's still mounted.
Yup, going straight to 40's is what I've always done in the past too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just voted "Yes - But only if they're made by a brand I like and in a model I prefer." I never thought I would consider 38s, however, I was eyeing some Nittos the other day and noticed they're making the Ridge Grappler in the 38s now. Still not sure but I'm thinking about it rather than going to 40s on the JT. If it fits underneath, it would save me the time and money building a tire rack for the bed. As far as the JL, not sure if I want to run too big of a tire on the 4 cyl motor though; still undecided on that one.
So, that's kind of what prompted me to start this poll. Companies like Nitto have been making 38's for a while now but only for 20" wheels or bigger. I've recently had a chance to talk to them about this and was told that they will now be offering some of their most popular models for 17" wheels. And, this definitely got me thinking as well.

WJCO

Meme King
So, that's kind of what prompted me to start this poll. Companies like Nitto have been making 38's for a while now but only for 20" wheels or bigger. I've recently had a chance to talk to them about this and was told that they will now be offering some of their most popular models for 17" wheels. And, this definitely got me thinking as well.
That's awesome. One of the downsides for me is that we already have 17 inch rims and I didn't really want to buy new 20 inch rims just to get the bigger tire. I'm in no hurry so that's positive to hear.

Bierpower

Hooked
I feel like 36, 38, and 44 were more popular 20-30 years ago. Then everybody want to the P-metric tire sizes and 35, 37 were close to the metric sizes. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I remember lots of old Mickey Thompson and Interco tires that were even number sized tires.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Currently running 37s, but when mine are worn out, I'd switch up to 38s, for a decent brand/model and if readily available, especially for replacements if needed.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I would buy 38’s only if it’s the brand I like and if they can fit a 17” rim. To me 38’s and 20s look a little weird. Not as balanced as 40’s with 20’s.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Honestly I’m good with 37s, especially with the terrain where I’m at. Honestly I can get just about anywhere on 35s. Going bigger is more of a want than a necessity to me… but I really want 40s one day. That being said, I’d just make the jump when I get everything set up for it (and if/when I can afford it).

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Been running a 38" or 38.5" tire for years now. I find that a 40 is just a lot of tire to push on a V6... and I am on tons and 5.38's.
I also live in CO so there is a pretty big mountain range I have to go over often and I drive my Jeep to trails.
I used to trailer my Jeep's back in the day, but the wider axles on my JKU and my narrow deck, I sold the trailer and just drive.
And for me to run a 40" tire... more work on stops and clearancing of the Jeep...

Hightower

Not for me thank you. 40’s are the new 37 and I like my 40’s.
Much love and health to all.

DarthTater

Depending on weight and width it might be a nice option to run on built up 44’s before making the jump to 60’s. Seems like historically 38’s have always been wider than average tho… like 14.5-15.5. If a radial 38x13.5x17r was more readily available in a trail/mud terrain tread I’d run them

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's awesome. One of the downsides for me is that we already have 17 inch rims and I didn't really want to buy new 20 inch rims just to get the bigger tire. I'm in no hurry so that's positive to hear.
Yup, having to bump up to 20's would be a no go for me as well or at least, not unless I were going to run 40's or larger. 38's would only work for me if I could do it with 17" wheels.
I feel like 36, 38, and 44 were more popular 20-30 years ago. Then everybody want to the P-metric tire sizes and 35, 37 were close to the metric sizes. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I remember lots of old Mickey Thompson and Interco tires that were even number sized tires.
Funny how things change back and forth like that LOL
Currently running 37s, but when mine are worn out, I'd switch up to 38s, for a decent brand/model and if readily available, especially for replacements if needed.
Thanks for sharing what you would do :)
I would buy 38’s only if it’s the brand I like and if they can fit a 17” rim. To me 38’s and 20s look a little weird. Not as balanced as 40’s with 20’s.
Yup, I hear you on that. (y)
I am running Toyo muds 38 x 13.5 x 18 on my 2020 F350 and like them lots.
Those are really nice tires. I had a friend who ran them and they looked and worked great.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly I’m good with 37s, especially with the terrain where I’m at. Honestly I can get just about anywhere on 35s. Going bigger is more of a want than a necessity to me… but I really want 40s one day. That being said, I’d just make the jump when I get everything set up for it (and if/when I can afford it).
Yeah, that's been me for a very long time. Go from 37 to 40. There's just been a lot of yammering about wanting another inch and enough so that tire manufacturers have been listening.
Been running a 38" or 38.5" tire for years now. I find that a 40 is just a lot of tire to push on a V6... and I am on tons and 5.38's.
I also live in CO so there is a pretty big mountain range I have to go over often and I drive my Jeep to trails.
I used to trailer my Jeep's back in the day, but the wider axles on my JKU and my narrow deck, I sold the trailer and just drive.
And for me to run a 40" tire... more work on stops and clearancing of the Jeep...
Yep, 40's are a LOT of tire to be pushing with a V6. As you know, we've done it and still do it with our Gladiator and it's tough. In the mountains like where you are, I can see how you might want ever bit of help you can get and in both directions.
Not for me thank you. 40’s are the new 37 and I like my 40’s.
Much love and health to all.
Hey my friend, good to see you on here! (y)
Depending on weight and width it might be a nice option to run on built up 44’s before making the jump to 60’s. Seems like historically 38’s have always been wider than average tho… like 14.5-15.5. If a radial 38x13.5x17r was more readily available in a trail/mud terrain tread I’d run them
So, Nitto has their Ridge Grapplers coming in a 38x12.50/R17 now. Not sure about their Trail Grappler but I think it might be the same.
Meh.
I think 38’s will go away or be extremely hard to find only made by one or two manufacturers a few years down the road.
For sure, that's been the case for years. That's the main reason why I've steered clear of them but I am told that there is a solid push to make them more available.

tchmotorsports

Caught the Bug
For what i do 37s are perfect.Now when (or if) the time comes for tons then im going straight to 40s but i don't ever plan on going bigger than a 17" wheel.

Top Bottom