X2Power battery woes (AGM in Texas no bueno?)

The other Derek

840432.jpg

Been having issues with X2Power batteries. Have had 2 replacements since I moved to Texas in 2020 and BatteriesPlus doesn't want to honor the 5-year warranty from my original purchase in Michigan in 2019. Fine print of their warranty reads that only 2 replacements will be offered. Batteries seem to overheat and then won't hold a charge.

The last battery that was replaced and the one currently in my Jeep both had the covers/caps popped off. This seems like an overcharging/overheating issue. Finally got my Jeep regeared to 4.56 (from 3.21) this spring. Prior to that I installed a USB/voltage readout to replace the accessory jack in the dash.

It's rolling on 35s and after the re-gear the voltage has dropped from 14.3-14.4 to pretty steadily 13.9 while on the highway. I'm also in Texas and high temps have exceeded 100F nearly every day since early July. It's finally starting to cool off a little, but now the Jeep is starting to momentarily die in the 100F+ heat. It'll kinda stutter like it's going to stall, and I can see a very short drop in voltage. I put a bluetooth BBQ thermometer next to the battery while running errands over the weekend and got temps up to 165F although it stayed pretty steady at 160 as long as I was moving.

So, I want/need to replace my battery ASAP. I was sold on the X2Power Dual Purpose/Deep Cycle as I added a fridge to the back and worried that a long day at the beach or camping trip could turn into a nightmare. Seemed like a good idea to spend a little extra on a reliable battery, but I ended up with e NOCO Boost anyway with all the problems these batteries have given. I had considered trying to run dual batteries for extra security, but if it's getting too hot, I don't want to just double my headache.

Is it likely that I was overcharging the battery with the stock gearing and 35s? Is 160-165 too hot for an AGM battery? Do I need to vent my hood?

I will not be getting another battery from BatteriesPlus mostly due to it being a PITA to drive out there. We have quite a few auto parts places (Oreilly/Advance/AutoZone/Napa) here in town and I'd prefer to avoid the headache of finding a replacement battery in case I run into problems.

To complicate matters, I also just replaced the HVAC recirculation actuator motor. Not fun, but that clicking would occur frequently when I was outside near the Jeep with no key in the ignition. So yes, there was a parasitic draw that has been addressed.

It seems like you need to choose a battery brand/dealer which offers a better warranty, as well as plenty of locations to buy from.

I have never heard of this brand, but it is surely a branded battery (plastic sticker and selling brand) produced by a major supplier, who's product is sold under many other brand names. This is just the nature of the battery industry.

kevman65

Hooked
That brand is made by NorthStar (never heard of them) exclusively for Batteries Plus as an in-house battery.

Spend a little more, go with a more reputable brand.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I've been using Optima batteries for years and they've always performed well, even during the time I was exiled to Texas

Sinlessearth

I have a 16 JKU that is on its third battery. I have 35s on 3.72 gears and believe the alternator voltage is controlled by the computer rather than the engine speed. If it's in the 14 voltage range then it's charging. I have gone through two batteries since moving to Florida. The heat does effect them for sure. My battery was being under charged due to my audio system. I could tell this by the corrosion buildup on the negative terminal and the amp clipping before normal. Usualy overcharging causes corrosion on the positive terminal. My first two were lead acid. My current is AGM. My last one died 1 month before warranty expired luckily. Do you have any corrosion? What I did was cleaned all the connections from the alternator and the engine block to help with voltage drop. Have you tested the alternator? I would think that of it wants to die then your voltage from the alternator is dropping. Once started the jeep should run off the alternator. My recent battery is an AGM so only time will tell.

J. Dub

I am on an AGM battery (die Hard) and have had 0 issues in the dead heat of Arkansas. For the past 2 years. Voltage, when vehicle is on, sits around 13.8v at idle.

The other Derek

Appreciate the replies/advice y'all. Gonna go battery shopping this weekend. Either really cheap or an Odyssey (or somewhere in between).

I'd kinda like to return this X2Power to Batteries Plus

J. Dub

Appreciate the replies/advice y'all. Gonna go battery shopping this weekend. Either really cheap or an Odyssey (or somewhere in between).

I'd kinda like to return this X2Power to Batteries Plus
Ideally, lithium. But I think there is only one company making a lithium battery that they approve to go into the engine bay. All the other ones have to be inside the vehicle.

jeeeep

Hooked
Texas summers are brutal on AGM, used odyssey for a long time but they also told me no more warranty after the 2nd one.
I know I have a parasitic drain but the batteries quite taking a charge.
in the JKU I now use interstate, in the JLU I use Orielly' brand and run my dometic battery to the Jeep battery and the cooler attached to the domestic battery.
I leave like this when traveling and it has worked fine.

jesse3638

Hooked
Buy a lead acid Interstate from Costco. Cheapest and worry free warranty. Every time I've bought one they say return it before the warranty period expires. Used to be 40 months I think it's down to 36 now.

Edit: Had to buy a new group 35 for my sentra today. $119 plus tax and $15 core.

Last edited:
Ideally, lithium. But I think there is only one company making a lithium battery that they approve to go into the engine bay. All the other ones have to be inside the vehicle.
I looked at Antigravity batteries, but you can buy quite a few AGM batteries for the price of one of those, and you need to install a charge controller for Lithium batteries as well.

It seems wiser to use normal AGM batteries that are much easier to obtain if the battery goes bad.

Top Bottom