Windshield Tear-Offs

I did a quick search for this topic and I didn't see anything so I want to bring it up. If this is covered elsewhere, please direct me.

I just had my windshield replaced and got my baby back from my buddy's shop this afternoon. On my way home I found myself paranoid about every damn truck on the road! I had no less that 7 dime size spiderweb chips and a full width crack in it when I finally replaced it. Are you guys/gals windshields magnets for all thrown rocks and debris too? Or is it just bad luck for me?

I digress.

What I got to thinking about was the NASCAR type tear-offs for my jeep. I went on a web search and in 5 min located a supplier to ProTint who directed me to their website. They sell 2-ply and 4-ply 30"x60" blanks. I think I'm going to try this. To me, an investment of $215 plus S&H and having chip protection for possibly years, outweighs the probability if my needing to replace the windshield annually at $360 a crack.

Any thoughts?

JAGS

Hooked
I did a quick search for this topic and I didn't see anything so I want to bring it up. If this is covered elsewhere, please direct me.

I just had my windshield replaced and got my baby back from my buddy's shop this afternoon. On my way home I found myself paranoid about every damn truck on the road! I had no less that 7 dime size spiderweb chips and a full width crack in it when I finally replaced it. Are you guys/gals windshields magnets for all thrown rocks and debris too? Or is it just bad luck for me?

I digress.

What I got to thinking about was the NASCAR type tear-offs for my jeep. I went on a web search and in 5 min located a supplier to ProTint who directed me to their website. They sell 2-ply and 4-ply 30"x60" blanks. I think I'm going to try this. To me, an investment of $215 plus S&H and having chip protection for possibly years, outweighs the probability if my needing to replace the windshield annually at $360 a crack.

Any thoughts?

$215 +S&H + pro install. Maybe not a bad concept, but not a great price. Also, how will it hold up to the same rocks, bird shit, sun, weather, etc as your actual glass? :twocents: I think people here have found the stock shield for less than $360. :thinking:

jeff_in_rc

And IIRC I have read that you can't put any film on the outside of the windshield and on the inside you can only put tint on the top 4" here in CA.
(I know this as I just had some tint put on the top of mine)

Just my 0.02 here.

$215 +S&H + pro install. Maybe not a bad concept, but not a great price. Also, how will it hold up to the same rocks, bird shit, sun, weather, etc as your actual glass? :twocents: I think people here have found the stock shield for less than $360. :thinking:

I'm thinking it will hold up to normal everyday life just fine.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2004/November/Pages/LearningFromNASCAR3350.aspx

If you want the cliffs notes: Military testing and use on helicopters based on NASCAR speeds and damage resistance.

Also, Pro-Tint makes the 2-ply for $140. Like I said, I'm weighing the cost and durability versus probable replacement schedule if left untreated.

The dealership quoted me around $420 installed for OEM replacement. Got OEM for $360 installed.

And IIRC I have read that you can't put any film on the outside of the windshield and on the inside you can only put tint on the top 4" here in CA.
(I know this as I just had some tint put on the top of mine)

Just my 0.02 here.

I hadn't given that any thought. However, I'd be willing to play the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" game if it ever became an issue. Besides, I could just peel it off on the spot if required. I can't see how any LEO would know though. I wouldn't leave tabs on the corners. I'd trim it to exact windshield edges. These are, after all 30x60 blanks.

I'm not advocating that anyone do anything illegal. I'm just saying I don't know the motor vehicle code here in PA and frankly, I'm not going to go looking.

I think the potential cost savings and added safety factor are there- for me anyway.

Just thinking out loud.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Personally I wouldn't do it especially here in PA. Inspection laws are so strict as is.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
I've heard many times on here that some insurance companies offer no deductible glass replacement insurance riders for their policies for a few extra bucks a month. Might be a cheaper route.

groovebus

I have a mobile windshield repair guy that is close to my work. He comes over to the parking lot the next day and patches it before it spreads. Not bad for $65.

I've heard many times on here that some insurance companies offer no deductible glass replacement insurance riders for their policies for a few extra bucks a month. Might be a cheaper route.

I'll check into that with USAA tomorrow. Didn't know that might be an option. The last time I had a claim, the rep never mentioned that. They usually try to up-sell you on something whenever I call them, so I'm wondering if USAA offers that. Guess I'll find out.

2013CGJKU

I'll check into that with USAA tomorrow. Didn't know that might be an option. The last time I had a claim, the rep never mentioned that. They usually try to up-sell you on something whenever I call them, so I'm wondering if USAA offers that. Guess I'll find out.

It's definitely an option with USAA, it's called road hazard coverage. At the worst you can get $50 deductibles for glass replacement and free repairs.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

It's definitely an option with USAA, it's called road hazard coverage. At the worst you can get $50 deductibles for glass replacement and free repairs.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Cool! I'll add it tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

This whole idea really sounded cooler on the way home this afternoon. Guess it's just a hair ball idea. Anyway, thanks for the info.

David1tontj

I don't know you, but I am gonna take a guess here and say you have a tailgating problem! Haha

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

2013CGJKU

I don't know you, but I am gonna take a guess here and say you have a tailgating problem! Haha

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Haha! It's just a bi-prodict of driving a vehicle with a verticle windshield and living in a big city... I'm not complaining though. I work in the Auto Glass industry... haha!

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Lol! I swear I don't! Really.

If you are the guy behind me, you're pissed because there's like a 4 car safety zone I keep between me and the guy in front of me. I'm not from Philly originally. When I got here I learned REAL QUICK to stay the hell away from other drivers. These people will ride up your ass so you can't see their headlights in the rear view. Every single day there's a rear ender on the 95. If you're going 85, some asshat's riding you because he wants to go 100. Trust me, I know you might be just joking but I don't play that tailgate game. I think it's just the odds are never in my favor. I'm on the 95 for 27 miles each way every day. That's like Russian roulette for accidents. I just hope my number never comes up!

Top Bottom