Whine after Regear to 5.13's

jdofmemi

Ya he was a great find, Bouche03 knew him and hooked me up, I paid him more because I felt that was too cheap! He said the eliminators are the way to go, crush sleeves happened due to mass production

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I happen to agree with this.

As I see it, crush sleeves work fine, as long as you are going forward. Many high horsepower racers use them, but they are always going forward.

The problem comes under high torque loads in reverse. The direction of thrust of the pinion pushes against the crush sleeve instead of the bearing that's firmly against the housing. This can cause the sleeve to crush further, and the pinion to walk farther into the carrier.

I have witnessed multiple times pinion tooth marks on the carrier, caused by this. It leads the contact of the teeth at the edge, where it is weak, and results in broken gears.

While the solid sleeve does not eliminate the inherent design weakness of the reverse direction, it greatly increases your odds.

Depending on what differential you have, and the length of the pinion shaft, the solid sleeve can also serve to strengthen the pinion shaft from bending under load, further enhancing the benefits. That said, the pinion shaft in the D-44 in the JK is short enough this is not a real problem.

People on were who know me know I push things. When I was running my Toyota, it was not uncommon to break a ring and pinion every 3 or 4 hard trips. Once I was turned on to the proper set up, with solid sleeves, I went 3 years on 37s without failing a differential. That made me a believer in them, even though it is a giant PITA to properly set up the gears with the solid sleeve.

fiend

Caught the Bug
So the solution is don’t floor it in reverse? [emoji736]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

COMtnBkr

Ton of great info. Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve never heard of a crush sleeve eliminator.

I drop the Jeep back off later this week. I’ll post back what ends up done.

As an added bonus to the noise, now the freaking front pinion is leaking. ARRGGHHH!

Have a Moab trip planned in two weeks so need to get the damn thing sorted.

jdofmemi

Ton of great info. Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve never heard of a crush sleeve eliminator.

As an added bonus to the noise, now the freaking front pinion is leaking. ARRGGHHH!

If the pinion seal is leaking, that's not a good sign. Seals usually don't just fail, usually something is loose and wobbling.

If the shop plays it off, get a second opinion. New builds shouldn't leak or make noises.

dmulk

Soooo...what happened?

COMtnBkr

Soooo...what happened?
I took the doors and the top off so I couldn’t hear it!!!

The gear job has held up fine so far including a 4-day hard wheeling trip in Moab. The shop replaced the pinion seal and it hasn’t leaked again. It still has a slight howl but hasn’t gotten worse.

I took it to another shop that only specializes in drivelines and they said it’s hard to know exactly what was done wrong but they would just start with a complete reinstall and let me know in the tear down. I should’ve done my research and started with the driveline shop as opposed to the 4x4 shop.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I took the doors and the top off so I couldn’t hear it!!!

The gear job has held up fine so far including a 4-day hard wheeling trip in Moab. The shop replaced the pinion seal and it hasn’t leaked again. It still has a slight howl but hasn’t gotten worse.

I took it to another shop that only specializes in drivelines and they said it’s hard to know exactly what was done wrong but they would just start with a complete reinstall and let me know in the tear down. I should’ve done my research and started with the driveline shop as opposed to the 4x4 shop.
A pinion bearing won't just fail over night or after going wheeling in Moab. The excess pressure on it IS what's causing it to howl and over time, that WILL cause the bearings to fail. Ask me how I know.

Zeus

Regeared to 4.88 and no noise or leaks, but made sure my Jeep went to an expert, I am very vary of gears as my previous car a Suzuki Jimny I had ARB lockers installed and the carrier bolts was not tightened to spec and they came loose. Not a good experience.

Top Bottom