Whine after Regear to 5.13's

COMtnBkr

Recently had my 2016 JK regeared with 5.13's. Jeep is running 37's. Within the first 24 hours started hearing a whine when accelerating from about 65mph and up. The sound comes on after driving the jeep 5-10 minutes after the gear oil presumably warms up. Noise isn't terribly loud but enough to be annoying as hell. The shop that did the regear is very reputable. I took it back and the owner said he couldn't hear the noise or that it was maybe the tires. I don't think the tires would change pitch when changing from accel to decel. I also wonder if they test drove it when the rear end was cold because the sound is harder to hear until warmed up. They're going to pull the covers at the 500 mark to change the oil and check the lash.

My questions are:

• 1 - Will checking the patterns on the gears identify any potential issue?

• 2 - Am I being too picky and this is "normal" for 5.13's?

Here's the video. It's not terribly loud but enough for my crappy iphone mic to pick it up from the front seat:

Thanks for any input.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Didn’t watch the video but I had a whine after my gear install and it was the pinion bearings. Shop replaced them and I was good from there on out

fiend

Caught the Bug
Properly installed gears will not make noises.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Kuboske

Pinion preload too tight.
Drive it, roll under it and feel if the nose of the center section is hot. Be very careful, I've seen them get very hot.
If not that, it's the ring gear setting.

COMtnBkr

Thanks all for the help.

I'm approaching the final 500 miles of break-in. The noise seems to be a little worse in the last hundred miles or so. I've followed break-in and haven't driven long distances and have varied speed frequently. The shop also did 3 heat cycles before I even got the Jeep back.

Will pulling the cover and checking the lash be enough for them to diagnose the problem?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I could bet, your shop tried reusing your old crush sleeve. It'll only be a matter of time before your pinion bearing fries. I would have your shop take care of this.

JKbrick

If I could bet, your shop tried reusing your old crush sleeve. It'll only be a matter of time before your pinion bearing fries. I would have your shop take care of this.

Don’t know if it’s better but what about crush sleeve eliminators? I did them and they didn’t add much cost at all

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t know if it’s better but what about crush sleeve eliminators? I did them and they didn’t add much cost at all

A crush sleeve eliminator is always the best way to go. The problem with them is that they take more time to setup. A new crush sleeve just needs to be zipped down to the proper torque spec and for the most part, it's set.

jesse3638

Hooked

A crush sleeve eliminator is always the best way to go. The problem with them is that they take more time to setup. A new crush sleeve just needs to be zipped down to the proper torque spec and for the most part, it's set.
This is what was recommended by the shop I used so I went with it when I had my rear re-geared. I think it was maybe $50 instead of $10 for a new crush sleeve.

Also I was told to keep it under 55mph during the break in. Is 65+ excessive during the first 500 miles?

Sent from my SM-G991U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also I was told to keep it under 55mph during the break in. Is 65+ excessive during the first 500 miles?

Certainly, I'm sure there are some people who do but when you drive your Jeep off the lot, do you keep it under 55 mph until you've gotten 500 miles on the odometer? For the most part, I think the break in advice given by shops is just to be extra cautious. With a higher ratio, you'll definitely feel a lot more heat on the diff going faster and for longer periods of time but if everything is setup right, it shouldn't cause catastrophic failure to go a bit faster. Hell, I've gone a LOT faster and for over 1000 miles and without any issues in the long run.

JKbrick

Certainly, I'm sure there are some people who do but when you drive your Jeep off the lot, do you keep it under 55 mph until you've gotten 500 miles on the odometer? For the most part, I think the break in advice given by shops is just to be extra cautious. With a higher ratio, you'll definitely feel a lot more heat on the diff going faster and for longer periods of time but if everything is setup right, it shouldn't cause catastrophic failure to go a bit faster. Hell, I've gone a LOT faster and for over 1000 miles and without any issues in the long run.

The guy that did my gears is an engineer at Dana and Ric and I asked him about break in. He said oem gears are put through a chemical process, I don’t recall what he called it, but said it is way too expensive for aftermarket gear manufactures to do, but that is supposedly how you don’t hurt gears in a brand new vehicle [emoji106]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The guy that did my gears is an engineer at Dana and Ric and I asked him about break in. He said oem gears are put through a chemical process, I don’t recall what he called it, but said it is way too expensive for aftermarket gear manufactures to do, but that is supposedly how you don’t hurt gears in a brand new vehicle [emoji106]

Can't think of what it's called but yup, heard of that too. Still, the biggest issue with new gears is the heat you'll get from driving hard and fast when new. My point what that doing 10 mph higher than what a shop recommends won't make a difference. Or at least, I don't think it should.

JKbrick

Can't think of what it's called but yup, heard of that too. Still, the biggest issue with new gears is the heat you'll get from driving hard and fast when new. My point what that doing 10 mph higher than what a shop recommends won't make a difference. Or at least, I don't think it should.

I agree, all he told me was don’t go wheeling right away! He did both axles with eliminators for me for $350 labor!

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah I wasn't sure. I figured it would be more of long periods of driving which would potentially do more harm during the break in.

Sent from my SM-G991U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

That's a steal. Jerry and I installed an eliminator when we replaced my rear gears and it was a major pain in the ass.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ya he was a great find, Bouche03 knew him and hooked me up, I paid him more because I felt that was too cheap! He said the eliminators are the way to go, crush sleeves happened due to mass production

Top Bottom