What's in your Jeep tool kit?

WJCO

Meme King
My WJ came with a factory one. It's pretty small and I don't know the capacity but the reach will do 35s on a jk. I've used it a bunch on trail and off and it works fine. It has a small axle saddle on top.

While an aftermarket may have better specs, this thing has been great.

s-l400.jpg

JeepFan

Hooked
My WJ came with a factory one. It's pretty small and I don't know the capacity but the reach will do 35s on a jk. I've used it a bunch on trail and off and it works fine. It has a small axle saddle on top.

While an aftermarket may have better specs, this thing has been great.

View attachment 221903

I bet its much lighter than a hydraulic bottle jack too. The weight of all the tools I carry has always been a concern. Always trying to lighten the load. Your jack would help in that regard for sure.

Mtb275

Started the first step towards a good trail toolkit today. Currently on sale for $199. Just wish it came with more 10mm sockets[emoji1]. There's enough to break it up to two kits. One for jeep and one to freshen up tools for my motorcycle's.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473468480.248449.jpg

Would love to see some pics if your Sharkey shelf.

Although I had build a similar shelf out of 1/2" X 1/2" tubing and had bolted it to the tub in my 08' that was stolen, I loved Sharkey's shelf idea on how to make one for the newer models. Plus, it's removable and bolts in in already existing places.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473478932.455857.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473478952.307285.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473478970.460490.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473478984.246884.jpg

It gives me a little peace of mind that I can carry things all the time without being in the open and when the jeep is locked, you can't get into the underneath. I tried to make it as tight as I could to keep it dust proof as possible and try to keep water out as much as possible when rained on.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473479206.259088.jpg

Here are a few things that I carry until I can come up with a trail welder. A pair of gloves, some dark goggles, some welding rod, two longer 2ga wire with battery terminals on each end to connect up to three batteries, and a length of steel. I also carry a pair of jumper cables(welding rod in one end, grounded on the metal to weld to) and a wire brush in another bag. I also have a sawzall and grinder with wheels in another. It's come in handy for a trail repair during EJS this year.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473479720.666124.jpg

Here are a few of the recovery items I carry.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473480333.363500.jpg

A piece of synthetic winch line that's about 15' long, a longer and shorter strap, two different lengths of tree savers. Those go on the drivers side small cubby under my shelf. My winch controller and Warn strap for my hook on the front are in the pouch of the back of drivers chair. Gloves, 10K warn snatch block and strap are readily available under front driver seat. One thing I always try to remember is have that strap out easily available when wheeling.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473480650.046153.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473565677.197949.jpg
Here are a few more things in my list. A few long, wrenches to include a 33mm ( bottom of the steering box) and a few cheater bars. Iv'e also got a 1/2" torque wrench. A shovel, axe and bow saw. These all go on the right hand side of my shelf.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473565896.437590.jpg

The breaker bar, short 1/2" extension with a 3/4" deep socket for lugs along with the big pry bars, pick and three tire irons(to pull a tire off the rim to patch as needed) go in the cubby where my stock jack was.

Last edited:
What size bottle jacks are you guys using?

I carry two 4 ton bottle jacks. They fit in the storage tub perfectly! I also have the base for my hi-lift if I have to have something stable to put them on.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473600075.476462.jpg

I can also fit 3 quarts of oil, a bottle of gear oil, some PB Blast, steering fluid, brake fluid, 6 various size bungee cords, and in the way back space I can fit a quart of transfer case fluid, a quart of manual trans fluid an additional quart of oil and 2 ratchet straps.

Then there's my recovery and tool bag.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473600413.159449.jpg

It carries jumper cables, tree saver, tow strap, snatch block, e-tool, hi-lift base, 2 D-rings, torque wrench, 36" breaker bar, tool bag, tool roll up, ARB deflator, 2 additional bottles of gear oil, fluid pump, and a ziploc bag with zip ties, safety wire, Velcro straps and some misc stuff that I forget without looking. Oh and a bundle of rags.

GraniteCrystal

I carry two 4 ton bottle jacks. They fit in the storage tub perfectly! I also have the base for my hi-lift if I have to have something stable to put them on.

View attachment 222180

I can also fit 3 quarts of oil, a bottle of gear oil, some PB Blast, steering fluid, brake fluid, 6 various size bungee cords, and in the way back space I can fit a quart of transfer case fluid, a quart of manual trans fluid an additional quart of oil and 2 ratchet straps.

Then there's my recovery and tool bag.

View attachment 222181

It carries jumper cables, tree saver, tow strap, snatch block, e-tool, hi-lift base, 2 D-rings, torque wrench, 36" breaker bar, tool bag, tool roll up, ARB deflator, 2 additional bottles of gear oil, fluid pump, and a ziploc bag with zip ties, safety wire, Velcro straps and some misc stuff that I forget without looking. Oh and a bundle of rags.

There's another thread I started on here about how to transport fluids. May want to look at that for some better methods than just loose bottles.

Love how the bottle Jack's fit in that space. I may need to do that same thing when I buy one.

There's another thread I started on here about how to transport fluids. May want to look at that for some better methods than just loose bottles.

Love how the bottle Jack's fit in that space. I may need to do that same thing when I buy one.

Yeah, not the best by any means but with space at such a premium in a 2 door I'm hard pressed to do much else. I will say that those shots were from after the Windrock trip. So while they are squished, there were no leaks!

I'll look for your thread to see if I can make something better work. Always up for a better mouse trap!

Once I get the last kid out of the house I can throw that rear seat in the dumpster! Then I'll have much better options for that kind of thing.

Top Bottom