What was done to your rig this week?

Finally got the KOH mud cleaned off. Now to figure out which pully is making noise. Though it was lifters at first but the sound is equally as loud from both sides and louder when going underneath the front of the engine so I'm assuming it's a pully on something.
View attachment 402527
Check both idler pulleys in the center right under the alternator! Those were the first to go in my JK and after getting it very muddy. Got real noisy too.

jesse3638

Hooked
Check both idler pulleys in the center right under the alternator! Those were the first to go in my JK and after getting it very muddy. Got real noisy too.
That was my thought too. Though I avoided the mud best I could Boone rd was always watered and created a fine spray of sand and mud that got into everything. Maybe I'll start with spraying things off first. The noise didn't start until after KOH

AZVAJKU

Hooked

onlyone

Nice lookin Jeep. I can’t tell from the pics but have you had a chance to get those rock sliders in some rocks yet? How are they working out?
I have yet to scratch them. Haven’t been wheeling since I installed them last year. It’s been a while. I had a set on my 2 door JLR and beat them up pretty good. They will never be as good as a frame mounted set but probably one of the strongest cab mounted set.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Been dreading this for a while. Had to address these awful looking joints. First, pull off the EVO skid to make it easier. Square up some bashed bolt heads, break a breaker bar, go through half a can of WD40 and clean up my transfer case skid. And the fun hasn’t even begun yet. Pretty sure those long arm bolts ain’t going easily.
IMG_1061.jpeg
IMG_1062.jpeg

Been dreading this for a while. Had to address these awful looking joints. First, pull off the EVO skid to make it easier. Square up some bashed bolt heads, break a breaker bar, go through half a can of WD40 and clean up my transfer case skid. And the fun hasn’t even begun yet. Pretty sure those long arm bolts ain’t going easily.
View attachment 402978
View attachment 402979

Looks like you got the yellow wrench out in the first picture there.

jeeeep

Hooked
View attachment 402978
View attachment 402979
I like using CRC Industries Freeze-Off over WD-40 for crusty old bolts.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Looks like you got the yellow wrench out in the first picture there.
Yeah. Some bolts were mushroomed so I had to clean them up to get the impact socket on. But frankly, I thought getting the skid off would be worse that it was. The tough one was the OEM transfer case bolt on the passenger side. The one that bolts into the gas tank skid. The nut is welded into the skid top-side, and of course the impact busted the weld loose so the bolt just spun. Luckily there is just barely enough room to get a 21mm socket with breaker bar down onto that nut, then impact from the bottom. That’s when my breaker bar decided to give up the ghost.
🤨

Last edited:

DDbowman

Going to replace a wheel speed sensor and wire harness, and then figure out where the tire pressure monitoring module is located in the wheelwell to replace one of those on the front drivers side.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Thanks @jeeeep for the CRC recommendation. One down, The Bastard to go. The bolt on the passenger side frame is fused to the pivot ball. Got the nut off, but BFH won’t move the bolt. Might have to cut the bolt in two places in between the frame mount. I really don’t want to do that.
Maybe I can start an environmental movement to end salt use.

IMG_1063.jpeg IMG_1064.jpeg

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks @jeeeep for the CRC recommendation. One down, The Bastard to go. The bolt on the passenger side frame is fused to the pivot ball. Got the nut off, but BFH won’t move the bolt. Might have to cut the bolt in two places in between the frame mount. I really don’t want to do that.
Maybe I can start an environmental movement to end salt use.

View attachment 403054 View attachment 403055
if you have a can of compressed air, turn it upside down, insert the red straw alongside the bolt and spray until it's nice and cold, wear gloves to protect your fingers.
Once it's frosty looking take the BFH to it.

Top Bottom