What to buy Im so lost

Paisano

Thanks for all the input it really helps put things I haven't thought of in perspective :thumb: My other thought is to just order one has anyone gone this route? Im guessing there are a ton of fees and can not really work a deal but a bone stock Rubi with the upgraded gears is a lot more cost effective then all the Rubis on the lots now with all the upgrades that I don't really care for

I ordered my Rubicon and that gives you the best buying power. Tell them I'll order one so I don't take any of your stock and work the deal out before you order it. Also work the financing before hand or they'll try to stick it to you there if you get a good deal. I'd say 500 over their invoice not MSRP.

MTG

Caught the Bug
For a no hassle ordering experience pay $60 and join Tread Lightly. One of the benefits of membership is the ability to purchase a vehicle for 1% UNDER invoice. Took me 10 minutes to order mine. Piece of cake. And you support a good organization at the same time.

Oh, I'd order a 4 door rubicon if it were me. ;)

Good luck!

bl17z90

No. A Sahara is a Sport with Rubicon interior, color matched fenders and a few other cosmetic differences.

Thats what I meant :bleh:

My typing never seems to be clear.

But the wealth of knowledge that can be found here will never cease to amaze me :thumb:

Renagade119

Ive got the same problem, dad bought me an 06 TJ Sport for my first vehicle and I LOVE it. The only problem is its a tad small for my liking. So when I move out Im thinking of selling the TJ and getting a JK, now my big conundrum is whether or not I actually want a 4 door. Where I go offroading the small wheelbase is nice for the tight turns but I have virtually no room once I get 4 people in it. And the decision between sport and rubicon, jkur is a whole wack of money and I dont know I could afford that right outta the gates but over time I would want to build up my jeep to have lockers and a quick disco setup. I can also see myself going all the way up to 35" tires if I had a JK. What do you guys think?

Tranquillity

Ive got the same problem, dad bought me an 06 TJ Sport for my first vehicle and I LOVE it. The only problem is its a tad small for my liking. So when I move out Im thinking of selling the TJ and getting a JK, now my big conundrum is whether or not I actually want a 4 door. Where I go offroading the small wheelbase is nice for the tight turns but I have virtually no room once I get 4 people in it. And the decision between sport and rubicon, jkur is a whole wack of money and I dont know I could afford that right outta the gates but over time I would want to build up my jeep to have lockers and a quick disco setup. I can also see myself going all the way up to 35" tires if I had a JK. What do you guys think?

If you plan upgrading your axle, puting locker etc I'd get an X... Otherwise putting 35 under a rubi is cheaper.

Renagade119

Thats true, but my thinking was the rubicon comes stock wih lockers a disco bars so maybe I should save up for the rubi. But at the same time, thats a whole wack of extra dough, so maybe I should get an X and build it up my way. But I also know that the rubi comes with better suspension, anyone got anything to say about that?

Trembley

I think everybody ordering a new jeep asks themselves these type of questions. When I ordered my Sport, I looked at what would fit my needs right now. Right now I don't need a locker or the convenience of e-disco's. The interior options on the sport S suited my needs as well. Down the road will I eventually want a locker, yes. But I can pay for that, when I need it and my wheeling skills have improved enough and my balls have grown big enough to require it.

Would an e disco be nice, sure, but it can also be problematic...I have no problem walking around the outside of the jeep and disconnecting. I live in the northeast, we don't have tons of rocks... we have trails and mud and trees to deal with mostly. Common opinion around here is that the 4:1 is almost to low for the type of wheeling we have. If I move somewhere or end up wheeling more rocks at a later time, I can go get a rubi t-case and drop it in relatively inexpensively.

To me the idea of shelling out the cash up front for items I think I may need in the future just didn't make sense. As I need these items I can go to the aftermarket and get arguably better product and spread out my cost over a greater period of time rather than add the factory options to my financing.

All things to consider in my opinion. Also can't go wrong with a JKU in my opinion...absolutely love mine!

Tackerdown

Banned
I guess the question is do you have the money to drop into your jeep right after you buy it.In my case I don't .usually what I hear guy say is I wish I had lockers . The last and first time I went wheeling I used my lockers and I think it gave me the ability to take much better lines. Or should I say more technical lines . I think if you can lock your front your going to put a lot less stress on your rig always having to bump obstacles to get over it. Plus I'm a little spoiled and like the nicer amenities of the Rubicons . But I did wait about two years to get what I wanted.

C.O.D.

Last edited:

ichthus

Here in the Midwest, the 4:1 t-case is too low as well. Mud, sand, forest trails and 2-tracks need wheel-spin more often than no-effort 2-mph crawling. Even the off-road parks with rock-gardens and quarries can be handled with a 2.73 and LSD.

The Sahara isn't worth the $, IMO. Body colored fenders don't get along well in a playground of trees and rocks, the 18" wheels are more expensive to retread, if you don't buy smaller after-market wheels, the interior options are available on an X and it used to come standard with Features that were options on a Rubi.

Might be a good idea to consider the Moab, if possible. Metal bumpers, different hood, better tires and optional rear locker...priced about the same as a Rubi.

Renagade119

Here in the Midwest, the 4:1 t-case is too low as well. Mud, sand, forest trails and 2-tracks need wheel-spin more often than no-effort 2-mph crawling. Even the off-road parks with rock-gardens and quarries can be handled with a 2.73 and LSD.

The Sahara isn't worth the $, IMO. Body colored fenders don't get along well in a playground of trees and rocks, the 18" wheels are more expensive to retread, if you don't buy smaller after-market wheels, the interior options are available on an X and it used to come standard with Features that were options on a Rubi.

Might be a good idea to consider the Moab, if possible. Metal bumpers, different hood, better tires and optional rear locker...priced about the same as a Rubi.

Ohhh I havent thought of that.... Good thinking man

Tranquillity

Thats true, but my thinking was the rubicon comes stock wih lockers a disco bars so maybe I should save up for the rubi. But at the same time, thats a whole wack of extra dough, so maybe I should get an X and build it up my way. But I also know that the rubi comes with better suspension, anyone got anything to say about that?

Well you'll be able to get the rubi suspension (coil and shocks )for something like 200$ since almost everyone I know switch to aftermarket.

IMO edisco aint worth the spending... Might be old school but I prefer quick disco, take me less than a minute to take them off. Never complained on this.

If you can stick with no lockers for a while and upgrade to when you get the chance, you'll get something "as you want it"

Last edited:

Renagade119

Well you'll be able to get the rubi suspension (coil and shocks for something like 200$ since almost everyone I know switch to aftermarket.

Thats true, and besides, Ill probably end up lifting it anyways so yea. I guess its kinda irrelevant. So I guess I should look into a Moab but probably a Sport? Do Sports have the option for 4.10 ratios?

Renagade119

What is the price difference now?

I'm not sure, I was on Jeep's website the other day and they didn't list an Unlimited Sport in their build & price so I'm not sure if Unlimited Sport has been discontinued or what the deal is

Top Bottom