What did I buy?

AileniJones

I've always wanted a Jeep and I couldn't pass up this rig from a local dealer. Problem is, all I know is Chevy, I'm curious, can anyone tell me what size lift this is? It's rolling on 38s.

Thanks! I'm sure this won't be the first "what did I buy" question.

Attachments

• 20220105_160639.jpg
    20220105_160639.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220105_160652.jpg
    20220105_160652.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 53

AileniJones

Congrats! Looks like it’s got some good mods installed
Looks like a metal cloak set up to me…. Think they call it “game changer”. They use that zinc plating.
Looks like a synergy tie rod and drag link.
Agreed on the metal cloak. The coils look like how they advertise theirs.
Like other members said, it does look like a metal cloak lift probably 4 inch. Synergy tie rod and the drag link. Front track bar looks like steer smarts to me. I also see Dynatrac ball joints.

Thank you for all your responses, I really appreciate everyone's time. Also glad to hear all these components sound high-quality. This JK was at a Subaru dealer. I noticed the Rigid and JW Speaker lights, the aluminum fenders, heims joints everywhere, and the zinc plating on the trailing arms. I could tell someone put a lot of money in this rig, so I couldn't pass up making this my first Jeep.

There are some handling issues on the road and I doubt it has a drop pitman arm. Thanks for the info, so I can order the right parts :)

jesse3638

Hooked
Thank you for all your responses, I really appreciate everyone's time. Also glad to hear all these components sound high-quality. This JK was at a Subaru dealer. I noticed the Rigid and JW Speaker lights, the aluminum fenders, heims joints everywhere, and the zinc plating on the trailing arms. I could tell someone put a lot of money in this rig, so I couldn't pass up making this my first Jeep.

There are some handling issues on the road and I doubt it has a drop pitman arm. Thanks for the info, so I can order the right parts :)
It shouldn't have a drop pitman arm with the raised axle side track bar mount it has. It also had a drag link flip kit on it. If it has some handling issues I'd start with lowering the tire pressure. If it was on a dealers lot I bet they're over inflated. Running 38's lower them to 27-30 psi and see what that does. If nothing changes it may need to caster adjustments.

AileniJones

Congratulations, you bought a money pit!! Welcome to the club!🤙🏼
I'm currently building an 84 K5 rock crawler, once that's done, I have a 68 GTO that needs body work, then an 84 K10 that needs to become a buggy; I'm also a home and Harley owner. If it weren't for money pits, all I'd have is a mountain bike and a bunch of books ;-)

It shouldn't have a drop pitman arm with the raised axle side track bar mount it has. It also had a drag link flip kit on it. If it has some handling issues I'd start with lowering the tire pressure. If it was on a dealers lot I bet they're over inflated. Running 38's lower them to 27-30 psi and see what that does. If nothing changes it may need to caster adjustments.
Thanks for the info. I thought the same about the tire pressure, and after driving through a salted parking lot, I could see the lack of contact patch. I want to say I brought them all down to 15PSI, and it made a massive difference. Before that, I took it to a 4x4 alignment shop that did really good work. It's likely the geometry is fine and I just need to get use to it. All I know are leaf-sprung trucks, so this is all new. I feel I'm getting use to it, and it probably wouldn't be as bad with an automatic trans. However, with the change in drivetrain torque in and out of the gas, it wants to wonder.

Thanks for the info. I'll check all the joints and continue to get use to it.

JDE22

Those tires are Milestar Patagonia's, and are designed to be run at a higher than normal air pressure on the street. They are meant to ride on the center tread blocks. They will wear horribly if you run them at less than about 30 PSI on the street. I don't think too many folks here are fond of them for various reasons.

n3tfury

Good looking rig! As others have stated definitely looks like a Metal Cloak suspension. I have the 3.5" lift which is what yours looks like but it measures closer to 3.75 since I don't have a ton of armor (undercarriage or rear bumper). I also agree with JDE22 about the Patagonias. Once they wear out, switch brands (Nitto TG's are my faves).

AileniJones

Quick update: as a die-hard GM square-body person, I went all-in with the Jeep. Joined the Mile Hi Jeep Club out of Colorado, joined a patrol, ran a number of trails this summer, and volunteered to be the club's historian.

Apparently, that Metal Cloak lift gets me 30.5" front and rear
20221203_114446.jpg
20221203_114618.jpg

This was the club run when I was voted in (Bill Moore Lake via Red Elephant Hill)
20220924_133429.jpg
20220924_123138.jpg

Video of the run here: Burnt Tranny Garage Bill Moore Lake. Apologies, I am no where near the level of editing as Eddie.

Lastly, just a quick tid bit, this was the 2nd Wrangler I saw after a week of traveling the island of Ireland.
20221104_135028.jpg
2...yes, there are a whole 2 of Wranglers in Ireland, lol

Top Bottom