Warn VR8000-S Question

TheFett

Hey man-your winch line is not on the drum properly. It should spool out from the bottom of the drum and you have it spooling out over the top of the drum...You may want to address that, as you are creating a more extreme angle on the line...

Hey thanks bouche.....I didn't realize there was a difference. This was my first winch and the install wasn't too bad but the install video from Warn kind lied about how easily the rope would go through and how to pull it right. Not a good excuse but as my patience started to dwindle I'm sure that's when I missed what you've pointed out. Thx for the heads up! [emoji106]🏻

Quick fix I figure too, unbolt and flip the whole winch over right......[emoji6]

WJCO

Meme King
Well, Warn is doing a $100 rebate on the Zeon 8. I guess this means I might as well get it :eek:

Yes. It's always wise to pay 1200 dollars for an item that will give you 100 dollars back.... :cheesy:

^Clearly just messing with you as I have a Zeon myself. That was a fun one to sell to the wife. She was happy when it saved our asses though.

jeffd

I live next to the regional authorized warm warranty shop and here is something very sad. VR series have lower rate of return than almost any other new winch. Of course the good news is none have many warranty returns.

CarolinaJK

I live next to the regional authorized warm warranty shop and here is something very sad. VR series have lower rate of return than almost any other new winch. Of course the good news is none have many warranty returns.

Hm that is very odd. However I'll bet that most people don't return them because of the cost. If you feel like you're never gonna need a winch it sounds better in your head to have a $400 winch doing nothing compared to a $2000 winch.

jeffd

Hm that is very odd. However I'll bet that most people don't return them because of the cost. If you feel like you're never gonna need a winch it sounds better in your head to have a $400 winch doing nothing compared to a $2000 winch.

I snow wheel a lot so we do lots of winching. I have probably made well over 20 pulls in 2 years with other rigs buried up to there doors in deep snow. I initially was not happy when I got my VR as Warn was advertising they were assembled in Oregon. (I got one of the first vr series when they were first released) When I got it of course said assembled in china. I called Warn (they actually answer their phone and you can speak to actual person) and they told me that the VR series and the USA made winches share similar internal parts. ie US assembled winches can have imported parts.

when I did the Rubicon trail the end of August my vr10000s came had a fairly high speed impact against an immoveable object lol and cracked one of the support ends for the gear box. It was 100% my fault. Warn sent me a new end support. I disassembled the gearbox when I replaced the end support and the gears and case are high quality. I know at first it bothered me having a Chinese winch but after two years of use and actually seeing the gear set I no longer am concerned. They are also very well sealed so water is not a concern the grease on the gears looked brand new and no metal filings were present. I know I am not a hard core offroader like most but I do wheel almost every week.

CarolinaJK

I snow wheel a lot so we do lots of winching. I have probably made well over 20 pulls in 2 years with other rigs buried up to there doors in deep snow. I initially was not happy when I got my VR as Warn was advertising they were assembled in Oregon. (I got one of the first vr series when they were first released) When I got it of course said assembled in china. I called Warn (they actually answer their phone and you can speak to actual person) and they told me that the VR series and the USA made winches share similar internal parts. ie US assembled winches can have imported parts.

when I did the Rubicon trail the end of August my vr10000s came had a fairly high speed impact against an immoveable object lol and cracked one of the support ends for the gear box. It was 100% my fault. Warn sent me a new end support. I disassembled the gearbox when I replaced the end support and the gears and case are high quality. I know at first it bothered me having a Chinese winch but after two years of use and actually seeing the gear set I no longer am concerned. They are also very well sealed so water is not a concern the grease on the gears looked brand new and no metal filings were present. I know I am not a hard core offroader like most but I do wheel almost every week.

See this is the problem. So many mixed reviews on the VR-series. Some LOVE them and some hate them. I'm just moving up on the line because I haven't heard any bad reviews on the M-series and Zeon series. Even if that does mean spending money that I don't necessarily need to. With my luck I'll buy a VR and it break instantly while others all are perfect. [emoji23]

WJCO

Meme King
I'm just moving up on the line because I haven't heard any bad reviews on the M-series and Zeon series. [emoji23]

If I were in the same boat, I would do the same. Pay a little extra money for the peace of mind. A winch is not something that you want to not work when you need it.

CarolinaJK

So the 8274 has been sold. Now I'm just wondering if the Zeon is really that much better than the M-8000. My gut is telling me to go Zeon.

Top Bottom