Warn VR8000-S Question

CarolinaJK

So I've decided to go with a warn to save myself some money down the road. I've heard that the VR series is constructed with some Chinese made parts. Is this true? Would it be better to go with the VR8000-S or the American made M8000? I wasn't sure if the VR series has had known problems etc.

Thanks in advance as always

thardy

Banned
Go with the M8000. You can always upgrade to synthetic down the road. The VR isn't any better than any other of the cheaper brands.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yes the VR series is Chinese made just like your Quadratec, smittybuilt, etc. I would go with the M series instead

While what thardy and Cozdude said is true, you need to evaluate how much you think you'll use it vs budget. For me the cost of my VR10000 was in my budget and I have never used since I bought it. I don't think it will fail me being the lesser version but only time will tell.

It should also be noted that this is me defending my purchase a bit too! ;)

WJCO

Meme King
There's pros and cons to each, but I myself decided with the synthetic and am happy with it. My two pros were safer if it snaps and weight savings. Do it once. Either choose steel or synthetic and just get it done. You'll be happier buying it up front if you decide to go synthetic rather than waiting and upgrading later.

CarolinaJK

This is very true and yes, my budget is low. However, I'd like to purchase a winch once and have it work when I need it to. Even if that is only one time. Not that I doubt any of the lower grade Warns, but I'd prefer to have a "somewhat more top of the line" winch to ease my troubled mind. :yup:

WJCO

Meme King
Seriously. I knew I wanted a Warn no matter what because I couldn't find any negative reviews on them, so I knew they were quality. As far as the Zeon though, I really did buy it for the looks. It was about the same price as most of the other ones (other than the power plant) so I went with it. I'm sure there are more posters who can comment on the technology and why it is different though.

allwhitejeeps

Seriously. I knew I wanted a Warn no matter what because I couldn't find any negative reviews on them, so I knew they were quality. As far as the Zeon though, I really did buy it for the looks. It was about the same price as most of the other ones (other than the power plant) so I went with it. I'm sure there are more posters who can comment on the technology and why it is different though.

Ok perfect I was debating whether or not to get the Zeon. Thank you

cmireles

This is very true and yes, my budget is low. However, I'd like to purchase a winch once and have it work when I need it to. Even if that is only one time. Not that I doubt any of the lower grade Warns, but I'd prefer to have a "somewhat more top of the line" winch to ease my troubled mind. :yup:

I would just go with the M8000 versus the Zeon if you're on a budget. I have one. Recently I put myself in a really bad situation where I went wheeling alone and my phone had just died. I got stuck in some real nasty mud, and my M8000 had to do some serious hard and long pulls and it never gave out. Point is, I find myself able to trust my jeep with the M8000 and I'm sure you could too without having to pay the price of a Zeon.

CarolinaJK

I would just go with the M8000 versus the Zeon if you're on a budget. I have one. Recently I put myself in a really bad situation where I went wheeling alone and my phone had just died. I got stuck in some real nasty mud, and my M8000 had to do some serious hard and long pulls and it never gave out. Point is, I find myself able to trust my jeep with the M8000 and I'm sure you could too without having to pay the price of a Zeon.

Well you may have just swayed me back to the M-Series. I'd love a Powerplant, but way out of the budget for now [emoji385].

ShotgunExpresss

Well you may have just swayed me back to the M-Series. I'd love a Powerplant, but way out of the budget for now [emoji385].

Here's another choice, find a used warn 8274 on EBay, 500-750.00 , rebuild it, 100-200.00, clean it up paint it black and put synthetic 3/8x125 line on it. You'll have the top of the line winch for under a grand. I have done 2 of these this way. And plus the Warn 8274 IS the King of the winch realm.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
While I have had no issues yet other than the controller hook up has a little corrosion, my quadratec has been great for the little I use it. That said, I would still like to switch to a warn winch however.

Top Bottom