VIDEO : TRAILHAWK TRACTION - Jeep Renegade Steep Hill Climb out of Last Chance Canyon

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! Great to see a Renegade offroad!

BTW how do you like the tires? How are they on the road?

Honestly, we LOVE the tires and they rock off road. On road, they are louder than the street tires that came on the Renegade from the factory but then, they were street tires and these are Mud Terrain tires. Also, they are EXCELLENT in the snow and for an MT, they are the best I have run on icy roads.

Can't be hate'n on its capabilities but damn, that thing is hard on the eyes.

LOL!! To each their own. We happen to love the look of the Renegade :yup:

Renny making it look too easy!!!:rock:

It was even a HUGE surprise to us how well it did out there. Thanks again for joining us out there and for all your help :thumb:

Must be nice getting good mpg AND having fun on the trails!

LOL!! It's almost heresy to say :cheesy:

WJCO

Meme King
Did you guys even air down on that one? I didn't notice any tire flex. Either way, you still made it. :thumb:

finger3

That was pretty cool. I've seen a Dirt Every Day video where Fred puts one through its paces and it seemed a little more lacking in the power department as at some point he had to have one of the camera crew give a little push to make it up a bit of an obstacle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you guys even air down on that one? I didn't notice any tire flex. Either way, you still made it. :thumb:

Yes. We aired down to 19 psi and you'll see some side wall deflection in the full length video once it's done. You have to remember that these are Range E tires and so even if we were to go lower, you wouldn't see too much sidewall flex.

Nice climb. I'm holding out for the STT pros in a 40in tire. I've heard they might make them in a 40.

You have got to be kidding me! If they really do, I will seriously consider buying a set :thumb:

For sure and trust me, I can't be to critical, I own a Commander. hahahaha

LOL!! I like the look of Commanders too. Of course, I love the looks of my C101 Jeepster Commando and a lot of people hate them :crazyeyes:

That was pretty cool. I've seen a Dirt Every Day video where Fred puts one through its paces and it seemed a little more lacking in the power department as at some point he had to have one of the camera crew give a little push to make it up a bit of an obstacle.

Eh, I have seen that video and I like Fred but he doesn't OWN a Renegade and doesn't really know how to use one to its full potential which I will admit takes some learning and practice. Of course, you don't have to take my word for it, just ask JeepFan or GemHunter and they'll tell you just how crazy it was that our Renegade kept on crawling up obstacles that we all thought for sure it wasn't going to be able to.

WJCO

Meme King
Yes. We aired down to 19 psi and you'll see some side wall deflection in the full length video once it's done. You have to remember that these are Range E tires and so even if we were to go lower, you wouldn't see too much sidewall flex.

Sweet. Let me know how you guys like those tires over time with packed snow, especially on the roads. I'm really leaning toward Duratracs for my next step, but the Coopers are my second choice. I've heard good and bad so far on the packed snow on the roads.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet. Let me know how you guys like those tires over time with packed snow, especially on the roads. I'm really leaning toward Duratracs for my next step, but the Coopers are my second choice. I've heard good and bad so far on the packed snow on the roads.

Don't know what kind of bad you've heard but as most people know, I'm a BIG fan of Toyo MT's and Nitto Trail Grapplers and I have tested everything from BFG MTs to MTR's to ProComp Xtreme MT's, Mickey Thompson MT's, Super Swampers Trxus to the old style Cooper STT's and more and while ALL mud terrains suck on slick packed snow and ice, I have to say that these new STT Pros are without question the BEST mud terrains I have ever run on these surfaces. It's too bad that it's dark out right now cause the roads are super slick right now and I would make short video clip to show just how well they do. Maybe I'll have to get out in the early morning and do one then :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
Don't know what kind of bad you've heard but as most people know, I'm a BIG fan of Toyo MT's and Nitto Trail Grapplers and I have tested everything from BFG MTs to MTR's to ProComp Xtreme MT's, Mickey Thompson MT's, Super Swampers Trxus to the old style Cooper STT's and more and while ALL mud terrains suck on slick packed snow and ice, I have to say that these new STT Pros are without question the BEST mud terrains I have ever run on these surfaces. It's too bad that it's dark out right now cause the roads are super slick right now and I would make short video clip to show just how well they do. Maybe I'll have to get out in the early morning and do one then :crazyeyes:

Cool. Truthfully, I've heard mostly good, but some bad. As you said, mud-terrains are the lower end of 'traction' when it comes to packed snow. But I'm glad to hear you are enjoying them and they are working for you. I've had my mind set on the Duratracs, but from some research, the Cooper STTs have been recommended as well by some and I like the look of them. They look more aggressive than the Duratracs too. I definitely want to stick with a MT tire no matter what. I've got a few months to decide.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
That is a sweet clip. And, yes those MTT's are really grabbing. I'm a fan of the Nitto Trail Grapplers but will have to check them out.
Thanks for the continued great info and insight.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. Truthfully, I've heard mostly good, but some bad. As you said, mud-terrains are the lower end of 'traction' when it comes to packed snow. But I'm glad to hear you are enjoying them and they are working for you. I've had my mind set on the Duratracs, but from some research, the Cooper STTs have been recommended as well by some and I like the look of them. They look more aggressive than the Duratracs too. I definitely want to stick with a MT tire no matter what. I've got a few months to decide.

Well, I can tell you that a set of Duratracs will perform better than the Cooper STT's but then, I don't really consider Duratracs to be MTs.

WJCO

Meme King
Well, I can tell you that a set of Duratracs will perform better than the Cooper STT's but then, I don't really consider Duratracs to be MTs.

Gotcha. We shall see...........I may end up with a set of STTs after all.

OJK12

This was cool to watch! In a couple months my wife and I will be getting a Renegade of our own!

Top Bottom