VIDEO : HOW TO Replace the Main & Auxiliary Battery on a JL Wrangler / JT Gladiator

JAGS

Hooked
Hopefully don’t have this issue for a while, but will be good to reference when the time comes. It’s embarrassingly sad how few miles my new two year old JL has. And that’s even after a trip to Sedona. Lol.

With as much you put your Jeep(s) through, the factory battery seemed to last a while.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully don’t have this issue for a while, but will be good to reference when the time comes. It’s embarrassingly sad how few miles my new two year old JL has. And that’s even after a trip to Sedona. Lol.

With as much you put your Jeep(s) through, the factory battery seemed to last a while.

Yeah, we've got over 45,000 miles on our JL now. Of course, we almost have 30,000 on our JT so I'll be keeping an eye on it's batteries :crazyeyes:

JAGS

Hooked
So the last little bit been having a message on the screen at start up that says aux switches temporarily unavailable as battery charging.

Is this an aux battery thing and main battery or something else entirely. Jeep has 26,000 miles on it. 😩

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
So the last little bit been having a message on the screen at start up that says aux switches temporarily unavailable as battery charging.

Is this an aux battery thing and main battery or something else entirely. Jeep has 26,000 miles on it. 😩
Mine said the same message and I’m at 22k on the JT. It also had a hard time starting up after sitting for about a day which is why I just swapped both. Everything works like a champ.
For the record, I’d like to personally kick the engineer that designed this square in the nuts. Replacing the aux battery sucked. There are countless areas much more convenient to put something that’ll need to be replaced on a regular basis. 🖕to that guy.

Mine said the same message and I’m at 22k on the JT. It also had a hard time starting up after sitting for about a day which is why I just swapped both. Everything works like a champ.
For the record, I’d like to personally kick the engineer that designed this square in the nuts. Replacing the aux battery sucked. There are countless areas much more convenient to put something that’ll need to be replaced on a regular basis. 🖕to that guy.
I haven’t checked yet but I read where the etorque option has the aux battery somewhere underneath the chassis, and not in the engine bay. Hoping that’s the case for mine.

WJCO

Meme King
Just had both replaced on the JL. Under warranty thankfully. Only 13k on the odometer. Got the death click twice in the last week. Each time we had to jump it and it ran fine after that. Dealer said warranty was billed about $800 bucks! Shit is getting way too expensive these days. JT warranty is almost up so if a battery fails, I'll be doing it myself.

Just had both replaced on the JL. Under warranty thankfully. Only 13k on the odometer. Got the death click twice in the last week. Each time we had to jump it and it ran fine after that. Dealer said warranty was billed about $800 bucks! Shit is getting way too expensive these days. JT warranty is almost up so if a battery fails, I'll be doing it myself.
That is crazy! Changing them out is such a pain, but way better than $800! Wow

JAGS

Hooked
Well. Just watched this vid again as my battery/ies decided to finally bite the bullet.

seems I need set aside some hrs to get this done. Aside from the vid, which breaks down everything in detail, any other advice from others or new tips from you Eddie?

Looks like I’ll need to swap posts on my aux battery like in the vid. Not sure if I have the reverse Star but???

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how I missed this but holy hell, $800?? :eek:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well. Just watched this vid again as my battery/ies decided to finally bite the bullet.

seems I need set aside some hrs to get this done. Aside from the vid, which breaks down everything in detail, any other advice from others or new tips from you Eddie?

Looks like I’ll need to swap posts on my aux battery like in the vid. Not sure if I have the reverse Star but???
If you have all your tools ready and make sure to have something to hold the cover out of the way, you can do this in about 15 min or so.

JAGS

Hooked
If you have all your tools ready and make sure to have something to hold the cover out of the way, you can do this in about 15 min or so.
I’ll more likely spend well over 15 minutes just trying to get the bolt I drop in a place I can’t reach. Ha ha But I truly appreciate the confidence. Lol

I’m gonna watch the vid again and make sure I have everything I will need on hand. Only thing I need to check for is the bit to swap those posts.

last night I was able to jump the jeep using my wife’s car and get the JL out of the garage so I can eventually do the swap. While I hope not to use it, I think it’s time I get one of those charges/jumpers. 👍

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll more likely spend well over 15 minutes just trying to get the bolt I drop in a place I can’t reach. Ha ha But I truly appreciate the confidence. Lol

I’m gonna watch the vid again and make sure I have everything I will need on hand. Only thing I need to check for is the bit to swap those posts.

last night I was able to jump the jeep using my wife’s car and get the JL out of the garage so I can eventually do the swap. While I hope not to use it, I think it’s time I get one of those charges/jumpers. 👍
The bit you need can be found at Harbor Freight as a kit. It's cheap and good to have in your tool kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No kidding. And technically what dealers bill warranty at is LESS than customer pay repairs. I'm not sure what they would have charged a customer.
It really frustrates me to no end that people are forced to deal with this shit and let's be honest, all in the name of 'saving the planet'. And to be clear, I don't blame Jeep for this stupidness, they are doing what they're REQUIRED to do, just like all the other auto makers out there. Such BS

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Batteries are getting expensive as shit these days. Our acdelco AGM batteries are around $350 each right now. After labor and tax it’s just shy of $500

Top Bottom