VIDEO : HOW TO Replace the Main & Auxiliary Battery on a JL Wrangler / JT Gladiator

benatc1

Hooked
Good info on the second battery, haven't had to dig for that yet. I'll be honest though, while I know how to change a battery I mostly tuned in for the Ripley bonus footage which I've pleasntly come to expect!

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Somewhere.. there is a Jeep Engineer laughing at this video.

:cheesy: I hope so because I was laughing when I saw what was involved :crazyeyes:

Good info on the second battery, haven't had to dig for that yet. I'll be honest though, while I know how to change a battery I mostly tuned in for the Ripley bonus footage which I've pleasntly come to expect!

:cheesy: Awesome. So glad you enjoyed seeing Ripley :)

jeeeep

Hooked
That looks like a royal pain in the ass! glad to see how it's done.

I never use start /stop but I wonder if it's possible to wire it to the main battery and bypass that auxiliary.

I have the NOCOS portable jump start, it's saved me from drained battery a few times.

I don't leave it in the Jeep anymore, the Texas summer heat cause the battery to swell and break the case.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Damn that Aux battery is a pain in the ass to get out. Hopefully you won’t need to replace it for a good while now. I always find it funny how quickly stock batteries go out. [emoji849]

Gotta love Ripley still playful as ever!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Great video. I feel much better prepared to deal with getting out the aux battery now that you did a video of it. And as others have said, what a fucking pain in the ass!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LARSONEM

Just wondering if you know if the aux battery is there for a manual transmission? I have a friend with a JL and the 6 speed manual trans. Need to alert him to that fact if it's there.

DMF

This will definitely come in handy especially when the Jeep is just sitting in the driveway these days. Thanks for making this video!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

It's sucks that batteries have such a short life these days.

It seems all the good ingredients have been regulated out of use by our wonderful government, and the "green" replacements don't work as well.

My F-350 bought new in June 2016 is on its third set of batteries, and they are already getting weak.

Those jump boxes are great. I always carry one in the Jeep, and two in the Ford. Two used right can even start some of my 24V equipment.

highoctane

Caught the Bug

It seems all the good ingredients have been regulated out of use by our wonderful government, and the "green" replacements don't work as well.

My F-350 bought new in June 2016 is on its third set of batteries, and they are already getting weak.

Those jump boxes are great. I always carry one in the Jeep, and two in the Ford. Two used right can even start some of my 24V equipment.

Yeah these new batteries suck. My JT just turned over 4,500 miles and my ESS no longer works due to low battery voltage. Time for a visit to the dealer.

bwilson109

Does anyone have experience with the Genesis dual battery setup? Still thinking about whether it is worth the money and the potential risk of problems with the JL electrical down the road.

What’s your thoughts on rewiring it to a single battery and then using the auxiliary only as an emergency backup. I’m guessing the computer would be a little angry about that though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like a royal pain in the ass! glad to see how it's done.

I never use start /stop but I wonder if it's possible to wire it to the main battery and bypass that auxiliary.

I have the NOCOS portable jump start, it's saved me from drained battery a few times.

I don't leave it in the Jeep anymore, the Texas summer heat cause the battery to swell and break the case.

It certainly isn't as easy as changing out the main battery but it really wasn't that bad. I would imagine you could rewire things but that might be more of a pain especially being that you only have to do this maybe once every 2 years.

Great information. I really loved the bonus footage. She is so cute

LOL - glad you enjoyed the bonus footage :)

Damn that Aux battery is a pain in the ass to get out. Hopefully you won’t need to replace it for a good while now. I always find it funny how quickly stock batteries go out. [emoji849]

Gotta love Ripley still playful as ever!

Yeah, I'm hoping to get at least 3 years out of this one. Glad you enjoyed seeing Ripley :)

Great video. I feel much better prepared to deal with getting out the aux battery now that you did a video of it. And as others have said, what a fucking pain in the ass!

If you can believe it, this video was made almost in real time as in, it only took about 15 minutes to change out both batteries. It's a bit of a pain for sure to get to the auxiliary battery but it can still be done quickly.

Just wondering if you know if the aux battery is there for a manual transmission? I have a friend with a JL and the 6 speed manual trans. Need to alert him to that fact if it's there.

To the best of my knowledge, no, the manuals do not have an auto stop start system so they should not have the auxiliary battery.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This will definitely come in handy especially when the Jeep is just sitting in the driveway these days. Thanks for making this video!

Glad we could be of help to you with this video :)

It really is a bummer. Seems that batteries used to last a lot longer. Hell, I used to use Optimas all the time but then, they got bought out and now totally suck. :rolleyes2:

Yeah these new batteries suck. My JT just turned over 4,500 miles and my ESS no longer works due to low battery voltage. Time for a visit to the dealer.

WTF, really? Yeah, a low voltage on the aux battery will cause all kinds of problems. :naw:

Does anyone have experience with the Genesis dual battery setup? Still thinking about whether it is worth the money and the potential risk of problems with the JL electrical down the road.

For the over $1000 price tag to do it, I think I'll just stick with the $100 auxiliary battery. I've run dual battery setups in the past and have found that they're totally unnecessary for my needs. Granted, I'm just a mall crawler.

What’s your thoughts on rewiring it to a single battery and then using the auxiliary only as an emergency backup. I’m guessing the computer would be a little angry about that though.

I bet it could be done but would think it'd be a lot more trouble to do and to use in that way than it's worth. As mentioned, it only took about 15 minutes to replace both batteries so although it's a bit of a pain to replace, it's far from difficult.

duktrx

Crazy engineers to think that is a good design.

Skye was napping in my lap, until the chicken then she woke up and watched intently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom