VIDEO - ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons [Teaser]

jims68

From the aerial shot was this some kind of facility? Looks like a maned station or maybe a gas station?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From the aerial shot was this some kind of facility? Looks like a maned station or maybe a gas station?

I'm pretty sure this particular beacon also served as an airfield. Most of the original airfields are still in use today or have since grown to become full fledged airports but this one was in the middle of nowhere and was lost to history. If you look at the site from a satellite view, you can still see the triangle shape of the landing field that once was here. Heck, even in our teaser clip, you can kind of make out the edges too.

airfield.jpg

jims68

That is very interesting! Do you have any idea why they are triangular? Multiple ways to land? In my travels with work old radar bases pop up. Most are stripped but one north of Selby, SD is interesting. Main HQ is still there with the half court basketball gym. WWII vintage so everything is being overgrown. The northern part of ND has a few concrete giants that were interception sites for bombers with ground to air rocket batteries.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Ive been doing some research on these airway beacons and apparently every so many stations there was an emergency landing strip, probably similar to the remnants of an airfield that you discovered Eddie. Pretty cool that there's so many in your area. Apparently there were quite a few in AZ, but they may not have the arrows. Not sure, either way I might scout out some locations in AZ when I get home from Iraq.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is very interesting! Do you have any idea why they are triangular? Multiple ways to land? In my travels with work old radar bases pop up. Most are stripped but one north of Selby, SD is interesting. Main HQ is still there with the half court basketball gym. WWII vintage so everything is being overgrown. The northern part of ND has a few concrete giants that were interception sites for bombers with ground to air rocket batteries.

This was an "intermediate" airfield along the Transcontinental Airway Beacon System and was used for emergency landings. I believe the triangular shape is known as a Class A airfield and it helps pilots to take of into the direction of prevailing winds.

Finding old radar bases sounds real cool too. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been doing some research on these airway beacons and apparently every so many stations there was an emergency landing strip, probably similar to the remnants of an airfield that you discovered Eddie. Pretty cool that there's so many in your area. Apparently there were quite a few in AZ, but they may not have the arrows. Not sure, either way I might scout out some locations in AZ when I get home from Iraq.

Yup, this site is exactly what you have learned and it was in operation till about the end of WWII. The bits of red glass that you can find out here were part of the landing lights as were the cones near the arrow. AZ used to have a bunch of beacons and towers but I don't know if any are still around. I'm pretty sure that one that used to be near Williams was relocated to New Mexico and is now a part of the museum there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a shot of the old buildings that used to be here. If you look carefully, you can see the walkway leading to the flagpole.

BuffaloValley_NV_42.jpg

jims68

Eddie your documenting gets people interested in history and places and that is important in this digital world. My kids think some of this stuff is boring, but once in a while I get there interest! Keeps my interest juices flowing to! Good job! Attached is the one old base I talked about earlier. It is actually north of Gettysburg not Selby SD. Most of the buildings are there. Two smaller radar domes are gone but the big back one is still there and used for flight navigation for the FAA. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447819674.731977.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447819674.731977.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Eddie your documenting gets people interested in history and places and that is important in this digital world. My kids think some of this stuff is boring, but once in a while I get there interest!

So true. As an adult, I wish I had paid way more attn in school when it came to history. I try to enforce to my kids to enjoy learning. Always more to learn.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I love aviation and it's history. Being able to get out and explore some old aviation relics such as these sites is just awesome. Sadly, they won't be around forever.

08H3

Your videos are always very cool. You may be the only guy who can shoot a video of a concrete slab and make it interesting. I think even Speilberg would have a hard time with that. Good Job!

IndyJeeperRT

Airway Beacons

Very cool!!!! The drone shots are amazing!!!! Since I am from the Hoosier state out East, are these beacons all across the country, or just out West. I know my wheelin buddies would love to try and track some of them down if they are.

2014 JK Unlimited, a work in progress!!!

Top Bottom