Trail Run In Iceland

Brute

Hooked
How do people actually live where there are so many bugs like that?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The bugs are only in the highlands...similar to the Alaska wilderness...as soon as a slight wind comes up, they disappear into the low brush (there are no trees up there)...as soon as the wind dies, they ascend upon you

Brute

Hooked
1st brown.jpg

The first trout of the trip. It was so windy and raining, had to bust out the spinning rod and chuck large heavy spoons into the lakes...no fly fishing for the first two days

Brute

Hooked
uplands cabin 1.jpg

The mountain cabin that was home for 4 days. We left our beers outside to keep cold (it was between 42-48 degrees F at the cabin most times...and there was a small stream nearby that we put beers into if you wanted it really cold...

Brute

Hooked
river crossing 1.jpg

one of several river crossings to get to the multiple lakes and rivers in Arnarvatnsheidi...the uplands (I've tried pronouncing this many times to no avail...the closest I got was when I was very drunk...or my guide was)

Brute

Hooked
dried wolfish.jpg

A common midday snack in Iceland...dried fish and beer. Usually it's dried cod (which are plentiful)...but this happened to be my guides favorite...dried wolfish. It must have been dried for six months or more...I chewed on it for about 5 minutes before I could swallow it...I think my guide Ari could bite rebar in half...

Brute

Hooked
cleaned trout and char.jpg

Cleaned trout and char for dinner...I could have eaten fish every meal while up there, but these were the only fish killed during the trip. It was very satisfying fighting an 8-9 lb brown on a fly rod for 20 minutes, then watching them swim away after landing them...

Brute

Hooked
Those char are really something special. Some beauties.

The upland fish are much smaller than the fish from the large lakes and rivers connected to the ocean...sea run artic char & browns are huge here...but the view and practically no one else around is worth the plentiful but smaller fish (for here...) I've caught the largest trout in my life here...a brown in a larger river in a deep long pool right next to the bank that went 9 lbs...olive wooly bugger on the 6wt Lamson CA...

Top Bottom