Trail Raider Photo Diary/Build Thread

Kyle7R

You can take the city out of me, but you can't take the city out of Yasmin lol. This would be a good common meeting ground and an easy peasy drive to you guys and Boulder.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Same for me and Marijke. We should just split the difference, city house and mountain house. Lol.

I'm hoping that she is on board with doing some more exploring this weekend, the weather is supposed to be awesome. I know I need to keep you guys flooded with pics :D

Same for me and Marijke. We should just split the difference, city house and mountain house. Lol.

I'm hoping that she is on board with doing some more exploring this weekend, the weather is supposed to be awesome. I know I need to keep you guys flooded with pics :D

(Sorry Dave for the complete thread jack lol)

Yes send pics and keep them coming. Every bit is helping, BUT at this point CO is our #1 application spot come next year. But we want to see the pics anyways lol

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Did you re straighten yours cause your wheel sat crooked?

Yeah, it was driving me crazy...

Why, yes. Yes you do! Haha

(Sorry Dave for the complete thread jack lol)

Yes send pics and keep them coming. Every bit is helping, BUT at this point CO is our #1 application spot come next year. But we want to see the pics anyways lol

No worries man!

Glad to see its "come next year" and not sooner. The houston crew already lost 1 wheeler (kyle) we don't need to lose anyone else! But it is sounding like we all want to join the Colorado crew these days... myself included...

Edit: we usually stay at the beach until 1 or 2 am, then make the haul back to houston. Most of the cabins around crystal beach don't allow dogs, and the ones that do (or atleast that I have seen)are overpriced and usually pretty run down. So we just hop in the jeep, crank up the tunes and make the trek back home.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
31,000 miles - DynaTrac Upgrade

On Friday, Granite_Head and I pulled apart the front of my jeep for something new.

DSC_0838.jpg

First thing first was to get the old OUT. ;)

DSC_0845.jpg

Then Press on new main bearings, because... why not :blush:

DSC_0839.jpg

Here is the only side by side shot I got of my stock 44 housing next to the ProRock. The build quality is simply a thing of beauty

DSC_0847.jpg

set up the pinion and installed the locker

DSC_0848.jpg

DSC_0849.jpg

after several attempts, this is the best gear pattern we could get. I'm not sure if its because the gears were "used" being that they were the same 5.13 ring and pinion I've been running since the original regear. but here is a shot showing the pattern we ended up with. I'm pretty happy with it, but realize that it is not perfect.

DSC_0854.jpg

I was able to capture the glorious moment of closing up the diff for the first time on my brand new PR44 :thumb:

DSC_0855.jpg

then we turned our attention to the next topic for the day, STOPPING power. and what can I say. These things are HUGE and certainly stop my jeep on 37s with very little peddle force. :thumb:

DSC_0860.jpg

DSC_0864.jpg

Here she is, all buttoned back up!

DSC_0862.jpg

Napalm

On Friday, Granite_Head and I pulled apart the front of my jeep for something new.

View attachment 253600

First thing first was to get the old OUT. ;)

View attachment 253601

Then Press on new main bearings, because... why not :blush:

View attachment 253602

Here is the only side by side shot I got of my stock 44 housing next to the ProRock. The build quality is simply a thing of beauty

View attachment 253603

set up the pinion and installed the locker

View attachment 253604

View attachment 253605

after several attempts, this is the best gear pattern we could get. I'm not sure if its because the gears were "used" being that they were the same 5.13 ring and pinion I've been running since the original regear. but here is a shot showing the pattern we ended up with. I'm pretty happy with it, but realize that it is not perfect.

View attachment 253607

I was able to capture the glorious moment of closing up the diff for the first time on my brand new PR44 :thumb:

View attachment 253608

then we turned our attention to the next topic for the day, STOPPING power. and what can I say. These things are HUGE and certainly stop my jeep on 37s with very little peddle force. :thumb:

View attachment 253609

View attachment 253610

Here she is, all buttoned back up!

View attachment 253612

Nice Dave!! Great stuff!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So sweet! Great job on that. Moving the gears over is more than I'd be up for. We'll done👍

Nice Dave!! Great stuff!

Thanks guys! It's been awesome! The extra caster is great and the brakes are nuts. I threw all of the shopping bags off the back seat yesterday at a red light by mistake. My wife looked at me like I was crazy... I guess I'm still getting used to them. Haha

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Congrats! Looks great. The gear pattern looks a little high but if it's not noisy, you're good. The axle is gorgeous and I highly recommend a coat of two of a glossy clear coat to protect it. Here's some posts from my build, the clear coat keeps it easy to clean.

IMG_20170121_120558_539.jpg
Awesome. Glad that solved the issue. Looks good.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's a clean suspension. You've empowered me to get under my front and polish up my prorock and steering! I'll do that this afternoon or tomorrow.

Me too. Thanks.

A little trick that Matt taught me. Spray a coat of clear coat on anything that you want to last. Especially shocks and painted parts. Then you can hose it off when it gets dirty. This is a pic from a couple weeks ago:

View attachment 239970

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Congrats! Looks great. The gear pattern looks a little high but if it's not noisy, you're good. The axle is gorgeous and I highly recommend a coat of two of a glossy clear coat to protect it. Here's some posts from my build, the clear coat keeps it easy to clean.

View attachment 253688
Wish I would have known that when the jeep was new! Haha! What kind of clear did you use? Does the cheap autozone stuff do the trick or do I need something special?

WJCO

Meme King
Wish I would have known that when the jeep was new! Haha! What kind of clear did you use? Does the cheap autozone stuff do the trick or do I need something special?

Just cheap shit. I got mine from Ace hardware. Matt recommend that or fluid film and it really works. I sprayed it on everything but the brake rotors. Once it gets dirty, just regular water pressure cleans up the grime.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Just cheap shit. I got mine from Ace hardware. Matt recommend that or fluid film and it really works. I sprayed it on everything but the brake rotors. Once it gets dirty, just regular water pressure cleans up the grime.

Nice, I'll look into it! thanks for the Tip! :thumb:

Ddays

Hooked
So after what, 6 months or so, how are the springs sitting - still at 4" or have they sagged at all?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So after what, 6 months or so, how are the springs sitting - still at 4" or have they sagged at all?
I haven't put a tape to it, but so far seems to be fairly similar. I also slapped a rockhard4x4 cage in it, and a few other goodies... I need to update this thread I guess...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I haven't put a tape to it, but so far seems to be fairly similar. I also slapped a rockhard4x4 cage in it, and a few other goodies... I need to update this thread I guess...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, I'm struggling with getting my bumps/shocks straightened out like you did after the Rock Star install I ordered new King shocks but the damn shock bodies are longer than the old Fox shocks so I was back in the same friggin boat. Put a set of
1.5" spacers in and that looked perfect but now those f'ers seem to have squished flatter and now I'm back at square one :crazyeyes: I just ordered a set or Currie 4" +1 springs to try out since the Plush Rides may be too soft for my setup and future trailer towing escapades.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Well, here's how the jeep sits to date.

Rock hard sport cage - done
New fenders - done
New cb coax - done
New cb & rugged antenna mounts - done

Left to do before the exodus
1) Install RM-50 radio
2) tune cb antennas

20170916_153210.jpg

20170916_132927.jpg