Towing With A JLUR: Brake Controller Recommendations

jesse3638

Hooked
Hey everyone, my wife and I just got a 14 foot Rove Lite travel trailer to tow with our 2021 JLUR Extreme Recon. The weight is perfect as the dry weight is 1900lbs and GVWR is 2500lbs (credit goes to my wife for researching and finding this particular trailer). While we towed it home from Mesa, AZ, 325 miles, and hauled it the back way to Big Bear last weekend with no brake controller I'd really like to get the brakes operating. I searched and found a few older threads about brake controllers but was looking for and more recent info. I've looked into a few different ones, Redarc, Mopar, Resse and other dash mounted units. The prices are anywhere from $50-$300. I'm leaning towards Redarc or Mopar simply because of the clean mounting position through the 12v power port. Redarc adapts and and calibrates to braking and driving styles (not sure if this is gikicky or not). Their pro model is advertised as the better option for off road towing (which we will be doing to dry camp) while their Liberty is better suited for on road driving. Mopar seems pretty nice too, while the Reese models are cheaper, they use an externally mounted brake controller box. The Jeep has the tow package so all should be pretty much plug and play. Any help or experience is much appreciated.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have installed some curt models into some GM trucks that don’t come with a trailer brake and the installs for them are really simple and it works well. Is there an option from them for the Jeep?

jesse3638

Hooked
I have installed some curt models into some GM trucks that don’t come with a trailer brake and the installs for them are really simple and it works well. Is there an option from them for the Jeep?
Yeah there is and even a wireless Bluetooth version

AZDIESELPIG

Hey everyone, my wife and I just got a 14 foot Rove Lite travel trailer to tow with our 2021 JLUR Extreme Recon. The weight is perfect as the dry weight is 1900lbs and GVWR is 2500lbs (credit goes to my wife for researching and finding this particular trailer). While we towed it home from Mesa, AZ, 325 miles, and hauled it the back way to Big Bear last weekend with no brake controller I'd really like to get the brakes operating. I searched and found a few older threads about brake controllers but was looking for and more recent info. I've looked into a few different ones, Redarc, Mopar, Resse and other dash mounted units. The prices are anywhere from $50-$300. I'm leaning towards Redarc or Mopar simply because of the clean mounting position through the 12v power port. Redarc adapts and and calibrates to braking and driving styles (not sure if this is gikicky or not). Their pro model is advertised as the better option for off road towing (which we will be doing to dry camp) while their Liberty is better suited for on road driving. Mopar seems pretty nice too, while the Reese models are cheaper, they use an externally mounted brake controller box. The Jeep has the tow package so all should be pretty much plug and play. Any help or experience is much appreciated.

Are you sure the trailer even has brakes? Most tailers under 3000lbs do not have them.

I’ve had the redarc tow-pro controller for nearly a year. Small and simple to use with a push button/dial. Very happy with it so far.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well I decided on the Redarc tow-pro elite. Like the MOPAR brake controller it can mount in the 12v plug location if I choose which makes for a clean look. The MOPAR version seems to be out of stock everywhere too. It should be in next week. Once I install it and haul out trailer over the 4th weekend I'll let everyone know my thoughts on it. Thank for the info everyone.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
As usual I’m late to the party on this one. I’ve had the tow pro elite on my Jeep for several weeks and love it. It’s a super easy install that is literally plug and play. I’ve used it towing my tracked side by side and off-road camper. The mount I picked replaces the cigarette lighter which I never use and gives you a good index for your hand to hit the brakes and not have to look at anything . I honestly haven’t used much of the user or “off-road “ feature much but like the fact you have that option. All in all very happy and recommend

jesse3638

Hooked
As usual I’m late to the party on this one. I’ve had the tow pro elite on my Jeep for several weeks and love it. It’s a super easy install that is literally plug and play. I’ve used it towing my tracked side by side and off-road camper. The mount I picked replaces the cigarette lighter which I never use and gives you a good index for your hand to hit the brakes and not have to look at anything . I honestly haven’t used much of the user or “off-road “ feature much but like the fact you have that option. All in all very happy and recommend
When I ordered it I spaced ordering the Mopar harness for it. I ordered 2 days ago but it won't be here until the day after we leave on our trip. Any chance you could snap a pic of your plug so I know which wires go to which? Or explain which where connect to which. Or does anyone know which wires on the tow package harness go to what? I've done a lot of Google searches and have had no luck yet. Here's a pic of the JL harness plug. Had I ordered the Mopar plug for the controller I'd have been done in about 30-45 mins. Super simple install so far. 20230629_120256.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
When I ordered it I spaced ordering the Mopar harness for it. I ordered 2 days ago but it won't be here until the day after we leave on our trip. Any chance you could snap a pic of your plug so I know which wires go to which? Or explain which where connect to which. Or does anyone know which wires on the tow package harness go to what? I've done a lot of Google searches and have had no luck yet. Here's a pic of the JL harness plug. Had I ordered the Mopar plug for the controller I'd have been done in about 30-45 mins. Super simple install so far. View attachment 391766
Can you match it up based on harness pictures? Part TPH-022.

sftp_t_p_tph-022_01_grey.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
This is what I'm seeing from my Google Fu. Don't hold me liable if your Jeep catches fire.

20230629_120415 (1).jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Here is what it looks like installed. I opted for the 12v power port delete and like how it looks. Very minimalistic and unobtrusive like the under dash mounted boxes. Now to see how it performs tomorrow on our 6 hour trip. 20230629_153101.jpg 20230629_153143.jpg 20230629_153204.jpg

Top Bottom