To long arm or not long arm??

Kevgund

Hey all,

So I have a 2014 JK with tons of work into it already and am thinking of upgrading my lift. Currently I have the AEV 2.5" lift and a full set of metalcloak control arms.

I spoke with 3 different shops, 2 are telling me a long arm kit with dramatically improve my ride on road and off. The shop I have used in the past for other upgrades is telling me not to go long arms on a 2 door JK. Stating there will be no ride quality improvement.

Has anyone run long arms on a 2 door and if so what are your opinions?

Thanks All.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all,

So I have a 2014 JK with tons of work into it already and am thinking of upgrading my lift. Currently I have the AEV 2.5" lift and a full set of metalcloak control arms.

I spoke with 3 different shops, 2 are telling me a long arm kit with dramatically improve my ride on road and off. The shop I have used in the past for other upgrades is telling me not to go long arms on a 2 door JK. Stating there will be no ride quality improvement.

Has anyone run long arms on a 2 door and if so what are your opinions?

Thanks All.
The ONLY reason to go long arm is if you're sitting on a tall lift. That could be as little as 3" of actual lift but really, you should be able to get by up until you're into the 4" range or more. At that height, your control arms will be sitting at steep enough of an angle that it will adversely affect your ride ON PAVEMENT or when jamming across the desert. Being that you just have 2.5" AEV coils, I would say that long arms most likely will NOT improve your ride or at least, not enough to warrant the cost of getting it installed.

What is it about your ride that you're not happy with? Could be something as simple as too much air in your tires or the coils/shocks you have installed.

Kevgund

The ONLY reason to go long arm is if you're sitting on a tall lift. That could be as little as 3" of actual lift but really, you should be able to get by up until you're into the 4" range or more. At that height, your control arms will be sitting at steep enough of an angle that it will adversely affect your ride ON PAVEMENT or when jamming across the desert. Being that you just have 2.5" AEV coils, I would say that long arms most likely will NOT improve your ride or at least, not enough to warrant the cost of getting it installed.

What is it about your ride that you're not happy with? Could be something as simple as too much air in your tires or the coils/shocks you have installed.
Its not so much that I am unhappy, it's a 2 door Jeep so it drives as expected. I am running 35" trail grapplers at 28 - 30 psi so that part is fine. I was just considering upgrading my lift as it is about 5 years old. There is a issue with my trackbar contacting my front diff cover but I am getting that fixed. Like I said I was just thinking about an upgrade to my lift, maybe just new springs, shocks may work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Its not so much that I am unhappy, it's a 2 door Jeep so it drives as expected. I am running 35" trail grapplers at 28 - 30 psi so that part is fine. I was just considering upgrading my lift as it is about 5 years old. There is a issue with my trackbar contacting my front diff cover but I am getting that fixed. Like I said I was just thinking about an upgrade to my lift, maybe just new springs, shocks may work.
As expected? I don't know, I always expect my ride to be at least as good if not better than stock, regardless of how big and tall my Jeeps are. Shocks to wear out and AEV coils do tend to be on the firm side. I might recommend you give a set of EVO plush rides a try.

Kevgund

As expected? I don't know, I always expect my ride to be at least as good if not better than stock, regardless of how big and tall my Jeeps are. Shocks to wear out and AEV coils do tend to be on the firm side. I might recommend you give a set of EVO plush rides a try.
Well as expected didn't really come out the way it sounded in my head. My Jeep drives great I am very happy with it. I was just looking into better options. The EVO springs are definitely something I am considering, just trying to decide on a shock to pair with them.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well as expected didn't really come out the way it sounded in my head. My Jeep drives great I am very happy with it. I was just looking into better options. The EVO springs are definitely something I am considering, just trying to decide on a shock to pair with them.
I'm running 4" plush rides and evo spec king 2.5's. Maybe if I had evo DTD I'd be happier. Around town it's a little stiff but once you open it up in the desert you see what your suspension can do. Definitely a winning combo in my book. Some say this combo is as good or even better than evo bolt on coil overs. I don't have that to compare it to though.

Top Bottom